Why the Bar Restrictions when Docked in Vancouver?

jimdee3636

I was recently on the Bliss when it was docked from mid-afternoon till late night in both Victoria and Vancouver (actually, overnight in Vancouver). In both cities, "local regulations" specified that only one bar on each deck could be open at any one time. This resulted in the bars that were open (Mixx on 6, the A-List on 8) to be overwhelmed, given that two or three bars on each deck were closed. It took forever to get drink orders filled at certain times. What is the purpose of these regulations? Why should these cities care about what's happening on board docked ships? Do they think that someone who's drinking martinis at Cagney's is going to go out after dinner and start smashing windows on Robson Street? It seems ridiculous to me, but maybe some Canadian readers can enlighten me.

It definitely surprised me when I tried to get a drink on board while docked in Victoria a few years ago.   However, I've lived in some U.S. states that have, or had, some of the dumbest liquor laws you can imagine.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, roger001 said:

It definitely surprised me when I tried to get a drink on board while docked in Victoria a few years ago.   However, I've lived in some U.S. states that have, or had, some of the dumbest liquor laws you can imagine.  

Like not being able to buy liquor on election day?  Isn't that when we need to drink the most?

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

NCL may serve alcoholic beverages in the B.C. ports of Victoria and Vancouver -

I believe that I read somewhere here that:

LIMITED to one (established***) bar/restaurant per deck of the ship !

i.e. 2 MDRs on same deck only one could serve - if there is another bar on that same deck neither MDR can serve.

*** established bars and not portable kiosk types - decks without bars can not set up a temporary one.

9 minutes ago, ZsaZsa2019 said:

Sounds like the port's way of getting people off of the ship and maybe spending money there.

I don’t think so. It’s not easy to just walk off in Vancouver there’s US immigration to consider. Once you step on the ship, you’re in the US. I’ve not encountered this on another line. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Cruise Junky said:

I don’t think so. It’s not easy to just walk off in Vancouver there’s US immigration to consider. Once you step on the ship, you’re in the US. I’ve not encountered this on another line. 

Really?  I was there earlier this month, with the ship docked overnight, and people were free to come and go as they wished.  I don't even recall seeing immigration officials when I disembarked.  Possibly because we ported in Victoria first, but we didn't even see them there either.

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

This confuses me.  If they ship is tied up in a Canadian port how are you in the U.S. when you step on to the ship?

16 minutes ago, hallux said:

Really?  I was there earlier this month, with the ship docked overnight, and people were free to come and go as they wished.  I don't even recall seeing immigration officials when I disembarked.  Possibly because we ported in Victoria first, but we didn't even see them there either.

I am thinking you were on the Bliss? The ship reports to Canada Customs and specific people were called to Q for personal interviews before ship was cleared in Victoria. When you walked off the ship in Victoria, the line split in 2, crew had to go to one side (into the tent where officers were waiting) everyone else walked out to where the buses were waiting.

In Sept we were called to pay duties (we are Canadian and exceeded our exemption), so I can confirm MANY officers are working but you only see them if there is a problem.  

Just a small geography lesson. Vancouver is not in the US. 🙂

21 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Just a small geography lesson. Vancouver is not in the US. 🙂

Duh, seeing as I live in Vancouver do you not think I know that?  when boarding a ship at Canada Place you go through US Customs and immigration and are deemed to be in the US. When you leave the ship you go through Canadian Immigration.  It's not an easy process to just get off and get a drink at a bar as was being implied. You need to clear Canadian customs and then go back through US. 

8 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

Duh, seeing as I live in Vancouver do you not think I know that?  when boarding a ship at Canada Place you go through US Customs and immigration and are deemed to be in the US. When you leave the ship you go through Canadian Immigration.  It's not an easy process to just get off and get a drink at a bar as was being implied. You need to clear Canadian customs and then go back through US. 

We had an overnight in Vancouver for the Bliss and it was indeed very easy to get on and off the ship.  There was no customs or immigration either way the entire time we were docked or after we disembarked.  Maybe that was because we were in Victoria first but there was no customs there either.

• Thanks 1

Just now, CoffeeGoddess said:

We had an overnight in Vancouver for the Bliss and it was indeed very easy to get on and off the ship.  There was no customs or immigration either way the entire time we were docked or after we disembarked.  Maybe that was because we were in Victoria first but there was no customs there either.

Yes, if Bliss hits VIctoria first then it's different but 99% of the ships in Vancouver don't, they head straight to the first US port.

Read what you posted. You wrote "Once you step on the ship, you’re in the US. " That is wrong.

Also, it depends on if the cruise originates form Vancouver  but overall, I think you are wrong. It is quite easy to get off the ship, we had no issues whatsoever.

2 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

Read what you posted. You wrote "Once you step on the ship, you’re in the US. " That is wrong.

Also, it depends on if the cruise originates form Vancouver  but overall, I think you are wrong. It is quite easy to get off the ship, we had no issues whatsoever.

US customs deems you to be in the US once you pass through them, same as the airport. You want out, you go through Canadian Customs.

9 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

I don't quite understand how all this works but I checked the port website:

Boarding

Passengers boarding a cruise ship at the Canada Place cruise terminal are encouraged to check travel documents before arriving at the cruise terminal to avoid unnecessary waiting. All passengers embarking in Vancouver will go through screening and U.S. Customs and Border Protection as you are considered to be entering U.S. jurisdiction upon boarding the cruise ship. Please visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for more information and required travel documents

https://www.portvancouver.com/cruise/passenger-information/

14 minutes ago, ColinIllinois said:

I don't quite understand how all this works but I checked the port website:

Boarding

Passengers boarding a cruise ship at the Canada Place cruise terminal are encouraged to check travel documents before arriving at the cruise terminal to avoid unnecessary waiting. All passengers embarking in Vancouver will go through screening and U.S. Customs and Border Protection as you are considered to be entering U.S. jurisdiction upon boarding the cruise ship. Please visit the U.S. Customs and Border Protection website for more information and required travel documents

https://www.portvancouver.com/cruise/passenger-information/

Thank you

We boarded the Jewel, Sept 2018, for our Transpacific:  Vancouver to Tokyo (via Alaska). 

Is this always the law/policy? 

We were delayed in Vancouver, until 4'ish in the morning, while they finished loading supplies. 

Neither Johnny nor I remember any of the bars being closed during this time-frame...

We & many Roll-Call Members truly enjoyed the bars until we went to bed...

I don't believe we were allowed off the ship @ the time.

I believe the gangways were closed - which may be the difference.