Rudi's Sel de Mer...convince me to go (or not)

Riversedge

We are on the Voyage of the Vikings and are wondering if we should book this.  I've read some reviews and write-ups about it but I am still ambivalent.  I already get a meal in the dining room that's paid for so do I really want to pay extra to experience this meal?  Convince me!

4 minutes ago, taxmantoo said:

Seems like you are already convinced.  You do not want to pay 🙄

Absolutely not true.  If I were already convinced I wouldn't be asking the question.  If it's worth it I'm doing it.  Just want other's opinions.  I've never heard anyone on any cruise raving about it so honestly hadn't thought about doing it before.  

• Like 1

We liked it when we dined there.  Quieter, nicer atmosphere than the MDR.  Excellent service, great food.  The amount they charge is much less than what you would pay in a comparable land based restaurant.  

We would also recommend the Tamarind restaurant. (if it is on a ship you are on).  It is our favourite specialty restaurant, and we try to dine there several times each cruise.

• Like 1

We did the pop up Sel de Mer on the NA in February and were underwhelmed. Of all the specialty dining we've experienced on HAL, it was the most disappointing. We'll be on the NS next month and are still deliberating whether or not to give its full-time Sel de Mer a try.

We did the sel de mer and I was underwhelmed.   The lobster in the MDR and service were better than the pinnacle.  So IMO not worth it.   Although the salt baked branzino looked incredible, though they didn’t show you it before they took it out of the salt crust.

enjoyed the Sel de Mer on the Koningsdam.   Not impressed with pop up Sel de Mer on Maasdam.   

Also, I think the Tamarind restaurants on the Eurodam and Nieuw Amsterdam are nicer in layout and roomier than on the new Pinnacle class ships.  I thought the tables were too close to each other on the Koningsdam, almost as if the restaurant had been an afterthought, or designed to use up “leftover space”.

1 hour ago, Fouremco said:

We'll be on the NS next month and are still deliberating whether or not to give its full-time Sel de Mer a try.

We've never tried a pop-up SdM, but enjoyed the permanent one on the K-dam ... especially at 50% off! 😁

• Like 1

We've done the Pop Ups on Zuiderdam (twice), Oosterdam and Eurodam.  Have also done Sel de Mer five times between the Nieuw Statendam and Koningsdam.  We really enjoy it especially the actual Sel de Mer Restaurant on the Pinnacle Class!  We enjoyed the Pop-Ups on Zui and also Odam!  However, we were very disappointed with Eurodam's Pop Up and felt it was not that good when we were on her in February but we also felt that way about Eurodam's Pinnacle Grill.   

Loved the pop up on Maasdam last year doing SA. We also ordered the seafood tower which was fantastic! Must admit our pop up was soooo good! We could compare our seafood tower to Le Dome in Paris smaller but as outstanding!

Denise😊

I have enjoyed the pop-ups on the both the Zaandam and the Eurodam as well as the fixed restaurant on the Konigsdam.   The duck cassoulet was more than I could finish, seafood tower was a nice start to a seafood meal, and the desserts were amazing.

Edited by Crew News

I can't remember which ships, but...

Two times excellent, one time mediocre.  But that one off was probably because there was a newly arrived PG  chef and he was a delightful young man who was just getting to know his kitchen and support team.

We have Rudi's booked for our upcoming cruise, so that's an indication of how we feel about it.

In the end, it probably depends on budget requirements and how disappointed you'll be if it doesn't meet expectations.

As with any specialty on any ship a lot will depend on A) whether the menu suits your preferences and B) who in the kitchen doing the cooking and C) the competence of the service & management staff running the particular venue on that sailing.  So many variables .......

That said my Mother and I are giving it a "pass" for our upcoming sailing on the Amsterdam in July.  She does not eat much seafood and she felt the menu was limited in choice for her (especially the apps/soups/salads).  So instead we are doing an additional night of the regular Pinnacle Grill menu where she has more choices that suit her tastes across all courses.  While I would find good value in the Sel deMer offering she would not.

• Like 2

Tried it for the first time in the Nieuw Statendam recently and liked it so much as are there three nights. Dover Sole, Veal Chop and a Seafood Medley were all terrific. Deserts wonderful and service outstanding. Ask for Gabriel on N.S. 

I thank you for the responses.  I'm leaning towards a "yes" but have a couple more questions.  If it's a "pop up" is it as good as the restaurant with the same name?  Also, since it is a pop up, is there a 50% discount for 4*?  

I have done both and didn't notice any difference but of course the menus are not exactly the same. 

Yes, the four-star discount applies.  In addition, as a five-star Mariner, I used one of my two free PG dinners and paid 50% of the difference in price so my Sel de Mer cost only $7.

I've eaten at Sel de Mer on the Koningsdam and twice at the pop up on the Rotterdam.   The halibut catch of the day and Dover Sole were exceptionally good.   I'm booked again for this summer.

We did the Sel de Mer on our recent Koningsdam cruise and it was one of the best meals we had onboard.  The service was excellent and we thoroughly enjoyed the Dover sole.  The surprise for the dessert was that while three of the pyramid of profiteroles contained vanilla creme, the fourth contained ice cream!

Dan 

Edited by obriendan

3 hours ago, Riversedge said:

I thank you for the responses.  I'm leaning towards a "yes" but have a couple more questions.  If it's a "pop up" is it as good as the restaurant with the same name?  Also, since it is a pop up, is there a 50% discount for 4*?  

the menu is limited with the pop up compared to the regular on the Koningsdam but the selection is certainly good enough for me 😉 

Yes, the discount applies for Mariners.

• Like 1

We are doing the Sel de Mer pop-up in a few days.  I will report back on my findings.  (I have had chef’s training and am very particular so just a heads up that I’m coming at it from that angle.)