The Edge Invinate Veranada warning

tapemann

42 minutes ago, Cruise Junky said:

So according to the newsletter I just received, the IV's are our fault, the passengers.  They stated in a survey that passengers only use their balcony 20% of the time (that seems like a decent amount of time to me) so they decided to maximize space somewhere else. Funny, I don't remember being asked.

At least they saved the bathroom.  Passengers only use the bathroom 1% of the time.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

So according to the newsletter I just received, the IV's are our fault, the passengers.  They stated in a survey that passengers only use their balcony 20% of the time (that seems like a decent amount of time to me) so they decided to maximize space somewhere else. Funny, I don't remember being asked.

They are sleeping or washing up the rest of the time. 

The complaining on this thread is truly amazing.  People denigrating others comments and perspectives on an upscale cruise ship 99 percent of the world's population couldn't afford.  If you have tried it and don't like it, try something else.  There are other options. Why do people think that everything in the world should be just for them?  Don't like the IV, get a regular balcony.  They are available.  Try a different ship.  Try a different cruise line.  Don't cruise.

We personally don't much care for Edge but like the IV design (except for the hot bathroom mirror).  Love the theater and the embarkation area is what it should be on all cruise ships.  The rest of the ship doesn't fit our desires: dark, noisy, dangerous steps.  So, off to an S-class for the next Celebrity cruise and two on Princess Royal class ships which we rate as equal or better than S-class and better than Edge overall.

Edited by Globehoppers
  • Like 1

I guess different strokes for different folks!  We found princess cruise line ships poor to fair.   The Royal seemed seedy- cleaning wasn't great- the princess food wasn't good- and the crowds!  The Caribbean princess also not good.   Not as bad as NCL- but a close seconds-  Really carnival like ships without the gaudy decor.

Edited by Cruise a holic

We usually cruise Azamara for its itineraries and small ship ambiance.  No crowds, casual atmosphere, great service, and they "know your name" as they say on Cheers.  The crews from master to deck hands are friendly and personable.  Never a bad moment.  Wonderful guest speakers.  The CC cabins are perfect balance of price and amenities.  

On 5/25/2019 at 6:20 PM, Oville said:

I’m one of those who did not dislike the IV, rather enjoyed it more than we normally do with a non-IV veranda.  The space is smaller but that whole space becomes an extension of the cabin.  During very hot or cold weather you can sit out with the window opened a few inches and enjoy the surf sound and the view.  We get up together so the blind wasn’t an issue.  Finally, it is very private and you are not listening to your neighbors conversations.

This is certainly not a new topic on CC.  For those who have one booked you might want to check out the Edge reviews, you might be surprised.

We had an IV on the 4/14 sailing and, as the week progressed, we liked it more and more. Its not the same as a typical balcony cabin -- but that can be OK. Different can be good. Not better or worse, just different. We found that early morning or late at night we could keep the window open and enjoy the view and sound of the ocean from the bed.  If the AC stays on when the french doors are closed --- which Celebrity says it will, that is a plus. 

Would I get an IV again -- probably. Will I get a conventional balcony cabin again -- yup. 

mac_tlc

On 5/29/2019 at 10:52 AM, Big_G said:

Thanks. I wasn't aware of that. I wonder if they're in high demand after all the hubbub about the IV's.

My biggest issue with the veranda cabins on the Edge are the location. All are all the way aft or all the way forward.

mac_tlc

I guess Celebrity overlooked the fact that we were paying for that 20% of the time we spend out on the verandah.  We spend much more out there.  When we find an Oceanview sufficient we book one.  Between the weird chairs, the folding doors, and the blind/curtain issues we shall be avoiding the Edge and Apex IVs as well.

On 5/29/2019 at 9:15 AM, Luvcrusn said:

Also, as far as these cabins being well designed, the lack of functional tables either in the cabin or in the IV space is poor design. The lack of table makes it impossible for two people to enjoy room service and eat together. The only usable table is the desk, and only 1 person at a time can use it.

And Princess has removed the inside chairs from their balcony cabins.  Is it possible that these changes are actually intended to discourage room service by making it impractical in most cabins?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, mnocket said:

And Princess has removed the inside chairs from their balcony cabins.  Is it possible that these changes are actually intended to discourage room service by making it impractical in most cabins?

Either that or to encourage us to get out of our rooms and spend onboard? Perhaps they are planning to serve room service on bed trays?

Personally, I am thrilled that they now have a King Size bed. We spend most of our cabin time in bed so it is important that it be comfortable. I have slept  in a King bed for the last 40 years so a queen seems small.  This was one reason we tried Viking Ocean since they had ‘grown up’ beds (King size).  Good for you Celebrity!  

As for the IV, I haven’t sailed The Edge yet will be going next May. I think the IV will be a welcome change. I like to get some fresh sea air but do not want the sunshine or the wind. I am looking forward to my IV.   We both get up early and I don’t care if the dolphins watch me change so the lack of curtains doesn’t concern me.  We will see. I am optimistic. 

• Like 1

The  large bed will be most of your IV cabin.. You even have to watch TV from it b/c the tv does not swivel. You may enjoy using the bed for room service meals as  some have done. Not against big beds but they are too big for a small narrow cabin..even with the added Veranda space left open,

The low  setee/sofa/divan is very low to the ground so it is fairly useless

We enjoyed the IV cabin ( very nice bathroom ) but would  have  preferred more elbow room

Edited by hcat

9 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I guess different strokes for different folks!  We found princess cruise line ships poor to fair.   The Royal seemed seedy- cleaning wasn't great- the princess food wasn't good- and the crowds!  The Caribbean princess also not good.   Not as bad as NCL- but a close seconds-  Really carnival like ships without the gaudy decor.

We found the Regal Princess to be as close to equal to Celebrity's "S" class as we have seen on the sea.  Certainly didn't find it seedy and our room steward was as good and better than most on X.  While it holds about 600 more people than the "S" class we had no issue with crowds.  We prefer Celebrity so don't get me wrong.....but with pricing going crazy we're finding other options out there that we like.  

On 5/29/2019 at 8:27 AM, Silkroad said:

The Edge IV cabins are 202 SF, and the S -class Veranda cabins are 194 SF. How are the Edge IV cabins smaller? The Edge IV veranda is 42 SF, while the S-class veranda is 54 SF, so it's true that the S-class veranda is larger, but not the cabin. If you're considering total SF, the Edge IV wins, with 244 total SF of cabin space, while the S-class cabin remains at 194 SF (as you can't consider an exterior veranda part of the interior cabin space).

But isn’t the extra space on the IV devoted to the bathroom so the actual living space is smaller on edge. 

On 6/1/2019 at 11:03 AM, mac_tlc said:

My biggest issue with the veranda cabins on the Edge are the location. All are all the way aft or all the way forward.

mac_tlc

My IV cabin 8215 is dead center.

41 minutes ago, mac_tlc said:

My issue is with the location of the regular veranda cabins, not the IV's.

mac_tlc

Sorry, didn't see that. I didn't even consider a regular verandah and wow, there are only about 50 of them on the ship.

34 minutes ago, ginak1112 said:

Sorry, didn't see that. I didn't even consider a regular verandah and wow, there are only about 50 of them on the ship.

becareful, they're not regular, they're cut from the hull with a round cut out as your opening.  Welcome to the 1980s balcony

2 hours ago, Cruise Junky said:

But isn’t the extra space on the IV devoted to the bathroom so the actual living space is smaller on edge. 

Some space went to the bathroom and some taken up by going to kingsize beds.  

It was also discussed early on that it was thought that they also were able to make the bathrooms bigger by having the bathroom area bump out more into the hallway. I'm not sure how this compares to other ships, but I don't remember seeing this much of a bump out.  I'm not sure if the hallways are a bit narrower, but they seemed it to me.

image.png.28eb7ab32b13160fb03dd62a587a2dd2.png

1 hour ago, ginak1112 said:

There are 94 open balcony non-suite cabins and all are forward or aft:

There are 36 traditional aft balcony cabins - the sunset verandas - they have very large balconies. In the picture below, the corner staterooms are S1 suites on each deck and the other 36 are the SV's.

image.thumb.png.b70a1c20a8adbca9b8ee610207ef1169.png

There are 38 1A cabins forward and aft, with the hull balconies with round porthole type balcony opening. The round opening restricts your view some when sitting. Some are also obstructed by window washing equipment so do your research.

There are 20 1B cabins forward and aft, with the hull balconies with round porthole type balcony opening. The round opening restricts your view some when sitting. Some are obstructed by window washing equipment so do your research. 🙂

476127502_edgeportholecabinx.thumb.jpg.b72929bd6dfe4c8b9cfb9a784c21b5bc.jpg

portholemmmmmmx.jpg.9a644100a47d38cab018cd600a4f77a4.jpg

Edited by vtcruising

31 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

There are 94 open balcony non-suite cabins and all are forward or aft:

There are 36 traditional aft balcony cabins - the sunset verandas - they have very large balconies. In the picture below, the corner staterooms are S1 suites on each deck and the other 36 are the SV's.

image.thumb.png.b70a1c20a8adbca9b8ee610207ef1169.png

There are 38 1A cabins forward and aft, with the hull balconies with round porthole type balcony opening. The round opening restricts your view some when sitting. Some are also obstructed by window washing equipment so do your research.

There are 20 1B cabins forward and aft, with the hull balconies with round porthole type balcony opening. The round opening restricts your view some when sitting. Some are obstructed by window washing equipment so do your research. 🙂

476127502_edgeportholecabinx.thumb.jpg.b72929bd6dfe4c8b9cfb9a784c21b5bc.jpg

portholemmmmmmx.jpg.9a644100a47d38cab018cd600a4f77a4.jpg

I love the sunset verandas, they are my favorite. I guess I didn’t consider those to be regular verandas.