Daily Reports from the Westerdam to Alaska and Denali

Crew News

1 hour ago, Cruising-along said:

No need -- he said it was brand new to the Westerdam -- why he seemed surprised that we'd had it last summer on the Rotterdam I don't know. I thought other ships have had that dish also.

Is there a shrimp dish on the actual menu (new) ?  Or just on the daily list (Saturday)?  

Edited by SilvertoGold

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

Is there a shrimp dish on the actual menu (new) ?  Or just on the daily list (Saturday)?  

As of last week on the Westerdam, it was only offered on the daily specials list (for Saturday). 

Edited by Cruising-along

1 hour ago, SilvertoGold said:

No new shrimp dishes on the Canaletto menu.  If I have time tomorrow, I will compare the two menus.

The day began with bright sunshine and wispy clouds.  Temps seemed to be in the 60’s and the roof over the indoor pool was opened for all to enjoy the nice day.  The day ended with growing clouds.  Tomorrow is a sea day enroute to Seward.

Room Service breakfast did not materialize.  I received a call from Room Service if I had received my breakfast just a few minutes before the half-hour window would expire.  Not wanting to wait any longer and miss some of Glacier Bay waiting inside my stateroom for the familiar knock on the door, I told Room Service to cancel the breakfast. 

I went to the Lido Market and claimed a 4-top table with my orange juice, milk carton, and cereal bowl.  When I returned with my eggs Benedict, I found another passenger sitting diagonally across the table.  Since I have no problem with sharing a table with others, I placed my plate on the table and took my “reserved seat”.  Not a word was spoken even after the stranger’s female companion took her seat beside me.  This was not the first time that I have “reserved” a table with my food but the first that the interloper did not apologize.

Glacier Bay was filled with sunshine a slight haze over the taller peaks.  Jackets were not required except for those on the bow.  Uncharacteristically, the ship did not make a full revolution leaving those of us on the aft seeking the outer decks to see Marjorie Glacier.  When I was searching the aft Lido deck for pea soup, a local native American was screaming that her mother had disrespected the ice and that the ice had killed her.  This was followed by loud drumming.  I am still wondering how the glacier ice could have killed her mother. 

The Park Ranger provided a very broken narration that included a challenge to all passengers to do their part to combat climate change. Unlike previous Alaskan cruises, there was no pea soup station and pea soup was delivered via trays of six bowls each to those on the aft Lido deck. I missed seeing all of the ice flows with harbor seal pups that are the norm in May.

The Shops deck sale was today and included only Alaska items.

My afternoon was spent scanning When & Wheres and downloading photographs.

I waited in EXC line to ask about spending my remaining OBC on an excursion in Denali and was referred to the Land Excursion guy on Deck 3.  After sitting through his practice Denali briefing and listening to all of the fielded questions, I learned that:

• I could not use OBC for Denali excursions
  • There are 16 buses in groups of three headed to Denali on Sunday (9 hours)

• The train leaves for Denali at 6:30 AM (15 houirs) and arrives near midnight.

• There are nine different Denali itineraries.

• I learned that I did not need to complete the side of my luggage tags with my hotel information.

• Nothing on rollers is allowed on the buses or trains unless it contains medical equipment.

• One piece of luggage goes directly to the first stop on the land portion, one small backpack or less size goes in your hand, and all other luggage goes to the final hotel from which you are leaving Alaska.

• Individual itineraries and room keys will be distributed at/near the first destination.

• Breakfast on Disembarkation day begins at 5:00 AM in the Lido Market and 6:30 AM in the MDR.

Tonight was Gala Night and it was served in a timely manner.  I counted two tuxedos, 40% jackets, and 60% just polo shirts.  The sea bass entrée was excellent.  The Executive Chef was standing at the MDR entrance and speaking with those departing.  I took the chance to chat with him for ten minutes about our mutual HAL crew acquaintances. 

Observations:

• ·        Laundry will be accepted on the day before disembarkation.

• ·     Chips are not served with Lido Market sandwiches.

• ·     The drain in my bathtub would not open and had to be removed to allow water to drain.

• ·     James Celiene responded to my note for Father McGeean (CC-Himself) with “fond memories indeed” comment.

• ·     Laundry turned in at 9:30 AM was returned at 3:30 PM.

• ·     Shops had lots of binoculars for sale.

• ·     My size Westerdam polo shirt in the Shops still reaches mid thigh.

Tomorrow is a Denali briefing at 8:00 AM, the Mariner’s Lunch at 11:30 AM, repacking to meet the Denali luggage restrictions, writing more Comment Cards, and trying to spend some OBC. 

Weather for tomorrow is partly cloudy and 50 degrees for the high.  The forecast for my three days in Denali has changed to rain but that has been the forecast for this entire trip.  Every day has been sunny so far and I hope this trend continues.

More tomorrow.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Crew News said:

Observations:

• ·        Laundry will be accepted on the day before disembarkation.

• ·     Laundry turned in at 9:30 AM was returned at 3:30 PM.
  •  

Enjoying your report Crew News and impressed with quick turn around for laundry.   Does that apply for everyone or 5 star perk?  Tks.  

1 minute ago, mocruzer said:

Enjoying your report Crew News and impressed with quick turn around for laundry.   Does that apply for everyone or 5 star perk?  Tks.  

Same-day laundry service is not available for 5-star Mariners, only for suites.  It  could be the case that this sh

Roger, thank you for your detailed review, I appreciate the time and effort you put into your posts.  Very informative and helpful.

Sorry to hear about your rude table guest.  Last year, we had our food on a table as well as DH's hat and my glasses.  We stepped away for a minute to get some water and when we returned, we caught a lady in the act of putting dirty dishes on our table where our food was.  Some people just don't get it! 

Looking forward to reading the rest of your journey.

20 hours ago, Crew News said:

No new shrimp dishes on the Canaletto menu.  If I have time tomorrow, I will compare the two menus.

As requested

Canaletto Menu Changes

Deleted Appetizers:

antipasta

Zuppa di Pesci

Added Appetizers:

Brodetto di Pesci (some ingredients it seems)

Minestrone

Grilled calamari

Deleted Large Plates:

Vitello al forno

Spaghetti

Ravioli

Gemeli

Braised chicken

Portabella mushroom

Branzino

Added Large Plates:

Lasagna

Risotto

Gnocchi

Tumocurni all Ferreto

Lamb chops

Deleted Desserts:

Canolli

Added Desserts:

ricotta tart

ricotta with fruit

chocolate tart

vanilla gelato

Edited by Crew News

2 hours ago, Crew News said:

As requested

Canaletto Menu Changes

Deleted Appetizers:

antipasta

Zuppa di Pesci

Added Appetizers:

Brodetto di Pesci (some ingredients it seems)

Minestrone

Grilled calamari

Deleted Large Plates:

Vitello al forno

Spaghetti

Ravioli

Gemeli

Braised chicken

Portabella mushroom

Branzino

Added Large Plates:

Lasagna

Risotto

Gnocchi

Tumocurni

Ferreto

Lamb chops

Pollo  al Mattone

Branzino alla Siciliana

Scallopini

Tagliata di Manzo

Spormato di Ricotta

Ravioli Aragosto

Deleted Desserts:

Canolli

Added Desserts:

ricotta tart

ricotta with fruit

chocolate tart

vanilla gelato

Above is corrected copy of previous post.

The day began with overcast skies and temps in the 50’s.  The seas appeared like glass as the ship sailed at only 12 knots.  It ended the same.  The weather for docking in Seward is partly cloudy and mid-50’s with showers in Denali.

Breakfast was another repeat of my OJ, milk, and empty bowl being removed and a family of four seated at my chosen table by the time I returned with my omelet. With no evidence of my “reservation”, I searched for another table.  There must be something in the ship water to cause such rudeness.

The official Denali briefing happened at 8:00 AM and was very professionally presented.  The briefing was well attended with many passengers seated in the aisles to avoid the large posts blocking their view of the stage.  The experienced cruisers chuckled when the briefer reminded the audience to make sure they left some clothing to wear after they put their suitcases out at midnight.  As I was leaving the briefing with my disembarkation envelope in hand, I was asked by someone if they missed anything by not attending.  After a slight pause, I told them it was just general stuff so that I would not spend a lot of time getting them up to speed.

The Mariner Luncheon was well attended.  No medallions were presented and the Captain declared just feeding everyone was much better than serving nuts to the senior Mariner’s.  The first two courses from the very limited menu were great but the Oreo-crusted tart was too thick to make cutting very easy. 

We are proceeding to Seward at a slow 12 knots.

With the purchase of a GoPro chest harness, I whittled down my OBC to a $49 refund from the “refundable” portion of my OBC. 

My afternoon was spent consolidating four pieces of luggage into three.  My suitcase going with me to Denali weighs almost 70 pounds and the one going go my destination hotel in Anchorage around 40. 

Dinner at the Canaletto was the new soup with langostino (one long feeler tickled my glasses as I tried to remove the meat from the cracked shell), gnocchi with sliced duck in a cream sauce (amazing freshly rolled gnocchi was very filling), and the ricotta tartlet (not overly sweet).  I would recommend all three of these new menu items.

My laundry submitted this morning was returned around 6:30 PM. 

Observations:

• ·        There was a separate Shops room just for Alaska items and some from native-American Alaskans.  Not all of the items are from China, but most are.
  • ·        I submitted my final 10 Comment cards (all kudos) and one of my disappointment with the Guest Services for denying Mariner discounts for Sel de Mer without my telephone Call to Seattle.  As I am typing this, a fellow in a suit delivered me a big cookbook with an inscription from the Hotel Director thanking me for cruising on the Westerdam and his business card.  Do I count this as an apology for their error and not include the issue on my cruise survey?
  • ·        My Room Steward is off at 9:00 PM and the “assistants” handle the luggage around midnight.
  • ·        I must reiterate that I learned that Specialty Restaurants can be made via HAL PCC and do not need to be prepaid.  I will try this when I return home and my December Nieuw Statendam dining reservations open.
  • ·        The Canaletto waiters use tablets (four) and the MDR inputs all of their orders on a few tablets located in the kitchen.  Too many tablets in the MDR overwhelmed the ship network and are currently just sleeping.

Choosing to pack warm or lighter clothing is a problem with differing weather forecast around Denali.  The city of Healy (with an airport of sorts) is quite a bit different than the forecast for the National Park.  So wisdom dictates pack both.  As my final items are ready for packing, I remind myself of the 26 hours of bus/train sitting ahead in three of the next four days. 

I will continue this thread to answer questions about the Westerdam and to help those going to Denali understand the logistics of “Meet Me in ???” and “Join me in ????”.

More tomorrow when I am on dry land and pondering wildlife encounters on the Tundra Wilderness Tour.

Edited by Crew News

Can't believe how rude people are with the table situation in the Lido.  The only time we eat in the Lido is for lunch and then we take turns going to get our food.   We try to avoid the Lido as much as possible.

I would still mention about Sel de Mer on the survey.  JMO

Great report.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Crew News said:

Breakfast was another repeat of my OJ, milk, and empty bowl being removed and a family of four seated at my chosen table by the time I returned with my omelet. With no evidence of my “reservation”, I searched for another table.  There must be something in the ship water to cause such rudeness.

OMG !    I wonder if a 2-person had been set ... if the same thing would have happened? 

i.e., does this tend to happen more to solo diners?

When I am solo on same cruise in August, maybe I should keep in my purse one of those folded place cards

image.png.e552a369d48f4113e323c5e8d1c9077e.png 

Edited by SempreMare
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

When I am solo on same cruise in August, maybe I should keep in my purse one of those folded place cards

I sail solo and don't have a problem with my seat being taken, or my food cleared before I can return.
What I do is bring something personal, which is not likely to be stolen, such as a book (HAL library book is great!), magazine, or sunglasses, to mark my place.
Lately I have just been draping my cane across the chair while I use the rollator or scooter to go hunting and gathering.

There was one time when I returned to find one other person at the table, but that was fine with me---all I need is one seat.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I wonder if an eager Lido steward removed the items?  I know I have occasionally had that happen when I have left my chair for a jump in the pool.  I do think there needs to be some sort of signal for others.  I wonder if a steward could be given a heads up or something?  My last experience with the Lido tables... I found a vacant table with a half-drunk cup of coffee on it.  I was standing there with my food wondering if it was vacant or being held when a couple rudely pushed past me and sat down. Not even a glance or a smile or a sorry-these-seats-are-taken.  They completely pretended I wasn’t there!  At least they could have gone in shifts.  No choice when you’re a solo traveler.  One of the many reasons I hate the Lido.

Edited to add I have also come back to my table with my items removed and the seat vacant.  So then I had to go back to re-get them.  Lol

Edited by *Miss G*

I like @RuthC's idea of a magazine or a book. 

As my backup in case I forget the mag or book, instead of "Reserved", I might put "I'm still here 😎" on both sides. 
More friendly, less likely to be interpreted that the entire table is reserved.

(This will be my first time EVER traveling alone on vacation.) 

• Like 1

I mostly travel solo.  On my last Noordam cruise in April/May I took a folded notecard that said "I'll be right back!" and put it at my place when I left the table at the Lido/pool or bar.  The waiters thought it was a great idea and no passengers took my seat!  I'll bring it with me on all cruises from now on.  I may even get fancy and make a printed and laminated card. 

~Nancy

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, oakridger said:

I mostly travel solo.  On my last Noordam cruise in April/May I took a folded notecard that said "I'll be right back!" and put it at my place when I left the table at the Lido/pool or bar.  The waiters thought it was a great idea and no passengers took my seat!  I'll bring it with me on all cruises from now on.  I may even get fancy and make a printed and laminated card. 

~Nancy

I love this idea!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, oakridger said:

~Nancy

That is a very good idea.

• Like 1

The day began with partly cloudy skies in Seward and ended the same in Denali National Park.

With disembarkation spread over three hours, the Lido Market was not crowded and yet orange juice seemed to be in short supply. 

The ten-hour bus ride was grueling but did include some highlights.  The first bathroom stop included four buses averaging 40 passengers each sharing three disgusting toilets.  I now know why the bus departures from Seward need to be staggered.  Several wise passengers just used the bathroom at the back of our tour bus. 

Lunch at the Settlers Cove was preceded by a quick stop at the Iditarod Headquarters for cart rides, puppies, and decent rest rooms.  Lunch for 900 bus passengers was served in two hours and the quality of the sandwich buffet was applauded.  Ciabatta bread, roast beef, ham, turkey, potato salad, pasta salad, beverages, and cookies satisfied all.  (Hint) There were two serving lines on the ground floor and a single food line on the basement floor.  The basement floor had no waiting while the ground floor lines had a considerable wait to just pick up a plate.  Nobody guarded the cookie tray so several cookies could be taken by all.

Enroute to the next stop, we saw three moose as well as some great mountain scenery.  The rest stop was at an Alaska Veterans Memorial where the occupants of my bus immediately queued at the first bathroom within sight when there were two additional bathrooms just a short walk up a slight incline (Hint).  A few miles from the McKinley Resort, a Resort member met the bus and distributed the Resort welcome packets with room keys and luggage tags.

There were no hand-washing facilities at the rest stops so bringing wipes would be a good idea for bus tours in Alaska.  There were lots of free snacks (granola bars and cookies) available on the bus as well as one bottle of water for each passenger.

My room in Lodge V is on the second floor but there is a walkway behind that eliminates climbing steps.  There is no sitting area in my room, just two complete bedrooms. No refrigerator and I am still trying to find an ice machine. 

The fish & chips entrée at the Karsten’s House Restaurant, a short walk from my room, was very good and when I returned to my room, my 80-pound suitcase was in my room.  The area outside the restaurant was filled with guests enjoying the singer, open fires, and nice weather.

I was lucky to have my Tundra Wilderness Tour departing at 10:10 AM and not 6:30 AM so a sleep-in is in order after awaking this Disembarkation Day at 5:00 AM.

Sunset tonight is 12:36 AM and sunrise 3:36 AM with rain in the forecast for tomorrow.  Of course, rain has been forecasted for every day of my cruise tour, yet we have had sunshine every day. My fingers are crossed that tomorrow will keep the same pattern of blue skies.

Great ideas on “reserved” signs and perhaps a nice gift at future CC Meet & Greets.

More tomorrow.

• Like 3

Crew News, we are on a Double Denali next month (D5C) but we are taking the train to Anchorage for the night and then the train the next day to Denali. Do you know what time the train passengers had to be off the ship to catch the train? Are train passengers also only allowed one suitcase per person to take to each hotel stop like the bus? We end up in Fairbanks after Denali.

Thanks in advance

Terry