Stop removing tips

1 hour ago, dltvermont said:

Years ago before I started my career I worked in a restaurant in the kitchen. Not once did I ever get a share of the waiter/waitresses tips. I also never saw them passed out to the head chef, sous chef for dessert person.

Bummer !  The waitresses/waiters always shared a portion of their tips with the busboys and dishwashers when I worked in a restaurant.  They did this on their own -- no management involved.  What they gave you was purely discretionary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, purplephenom said:

If Carnival were to make gratuities included in the cruise fare, well all of a sudden, they're not the cheapest cruise line around.  And they can't advertise you that you can go on vacation and see the world for $30 a day (or whatever).  

See the world? On Carnival?

Just now, xDisconnections said:

See the world? On Carnival?

All depends on your point of view and your experiences.  Some people don't have the opportunity to travel much/at all.  Someone I've cruised with didn't travel at all growing up, except to our neighboring state to see family.  So for him, going to Miami and going on a Western Caribbean cruise was definitely seeing the world.  I don't think cruising ever occurred to him before- but seeing 4 countries in a week drew him him. I've traveled more than he has- so there were definitely times when I looked at him like "how do you not know these things," when we were planning a cruise.  But ultimately, getting him out of his bubble was pretty fun.  

For someone that's been to many states, to Europe, and various other trips, Carnival definitely isn't seeing the world, I agree. 

On 6/25/2019 at 7:33 PM, Kelownacruiser said:

If a tip is “expected “, then it’s not a tip but a service charge. Call it that. 

Ive also never understood the idea of tipping as a percentage of a bill. How does the cost of something relate to the quality of service you receive? 

Agreed!   A tip should not be related to the cost/amount of the bill.  If i spend $100.00 for dinner or $50.00 for dinner has no relevance to the service I received.  I don't believe you are entitled to a larger tip because I chose to spend more on my food.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, nissach said:

Agreed!   A tip should not be related to the cost/amount of the bill.  If i spend $100.00 for dinner or $50.00 for dinner has no relevance to the service I received.  I don't believe you are entitled to a larger tip because I chose to spend more on my food.

Not in the US

6 minutes ago, jimbo5544 said:

Not in the US

If you mean this is not the case in the US, that the tip is based on a % of the bill.  In Canada it is the same.  I just do not agree with that.  I do not believe the server deserves a larger tip because I spent more on my meal.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nissach said:

If you mean this is not the case in the US, that the tip is based on a % of the bill.  In Canada it is the same.  I just do not agree with that.  I do not believe the server deserves a larger tip because I spent more on my meal.

For years there's been a running gag in the U.S. among tipped employees in states that border Canada. It goes like this:

" What's the difference between a canoe and a Canadian? Canoes tip. " 

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, nissach said:

I understand, I guess the point the point Is when in Rome......   As example, when I travel to Europe, I tip as is the accustomed practice there.  

2 hours ago, jbethel11 said:

I never said that only one person gave me bad service. I said I didn't like all the service provided to me, as in I didn't like the food, the entertainment, the "heavy and hot" blankets, my room steward, etc. However, remember, these are all suppositions.

I know you are just playing devils advocate here but only one of the four items you mentioned (room steward) is  a tipping consideration. And “not liking” your room steward also does not warrant removing tips unless they were also inadequate and did not perform the normal tasks. And then you need to attempt correction at the time first.

38 minutes ago, rainbowflag said:

For years there's been a running gag in the U.S. among tipped employees in states that border Canada. It goes like this:

" What's the difference between a canoe and a Canadian? Canoes tip. " 

LOL

Canada basically has the same tipping standards as the US.  Most restaurants now have tipping suggestions on the bill. 15 % is...., 18% is.... 20% is....., etc.

The main difference though is that we have a minimum wage that applies to all jobs, in restaurants, grocery stores, gas stations, etc.  Minimum wage here in Manitoba is $11.65/hr.  Where I believe in most US cities restaurant staff are paid quite poorly, so they heavily rely on their tips.

4 hours ago, dltvermont said:

You mean on land? It must be a brand new thing because not once when I worked back of the house at a restaurant years ago, and not when two of my kids worked just a few years back.

It is not a new thing.  It is common in most better restaurants and bars.  It is why some tables get cleared faster, why some drinks come sooner, why meals come out before that table that ordered after you.  Wait staff are also known to tip out hosts to get better tables and you can bet if there is a Maitre, they are getting tipped out.  

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 10:06 AM, CruiseRonJulie said:

I think it is time for Carnival to make it near impossible to remove the gratuities. I have read all of the excuses people give and I believe they are just looking for a reason to not tip:

1. The crew doesn't get the tips (do you really think that after all this time, we would not have heard this?0

2. I like to tip in cash (yeah, and I am sure you track down the laundry people and those at the Lido Buffet to tip them)

3. I think tipping should not be mandated

4. Insert another reason here:  the crew doesn't speak English, I didn't get a chocolate on my pillow, I only got a Lanyard, etc.

Please if you are just looking for a way to stiff the crew, be honest and just say "I want to keep my $14.00.

We have never remove the tips. But I say leave it as it is. Or better yet go back to the system where you click to add the tip.

On 6/26/2019 at 7:59 AM, PhillyFan33579 said:

I agree with you 100%. I am paying less for cruises now than I was 5 years ago. It’s probably farther back than 5 years ago, but I only started using a spreadsheet to track all our cruises in 2014. 

I can second this.

Way back in 1980, my wife and I took a 7 day cruise on NCL's Skyward.  NOT INCLUDING taxes/fees or gratuities, we paid $900 per person for an outside room....and this was considered competitive pricing for the day on a 16,000 ton ship, which is TINY in comparison to today's behemoths.

For me, not only have cruises gotten cheaper down through the years, the product itself has improved. Yes, they no longer have the midnight buffet and the dining room cuisine has suffered, but overall the experience itself has greatly improved.

Honestly, I would not want to go back to the cruise experience (or pricing) of the 1970's and 80's.  I'm fine with what's offered in 2019.

Garnett

Yup... paying a lot less for more.  My 1st cruise was on the Carnival Jubilee in 1987... 733' long, 47 tonnes, 670 crew.

I'm paying less per day for my 16 day Journey's cruise to Hawaii with a balcony that I did with an inside cabin on the Jubilee. 

And don't forget that this was 32 years ago... inflation is 300% from 32 years ago, so really, today's cruises are only about 30% of past cruise prices from 1987. 

36 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

My 1st cruise was on the Carnival Jubilee in 1987... 733' long, 47 tonnes

46,052 tons and Jubilee was a good ship. Tips went in the envelopes the steward placed on the bed the last day of the cruise. Funny how so many people who ate dinner in the dining room all week didn't show on the last evening when the envelops were traditionally handed to the staff. Some things never change I suppose.

Edited by sanmarcosman
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, sanmarcosman said:

Funny how so many people who ate dinner in the dining room all week didn't show on the last evening when the envelops were traditionally handed to the staff. Some things never change I suppose.

We loved our MDR waiter on Jubilee... Eduardo.  Tall big built man, like a football player... but gentle and graceful... always served with a smile of pearly whites.  The envelops at the end was a nice touch.  It's been 12 years, but I think I would go to the purser's desk and they would give me envelopes for my end-of-cruise additional tipping.  Do they still provide envelopes ?  347 days until I cruise next... it will have been 13 years in-between.

I was looking at my old 1987 documents... if you used your S&S card for drinks, that auto added a 15% gratuity.  But I'm pretty sure I always paid for drinks in cash and not my S&S card.  I fact, I don't think I understood the concept of a S&S card... just thought of it as my cruise card to get on and off the ship.  I'm pretty sure I paid cash for everything back then.    

10 minutes ago, VentureMan_2000 said:

We loved our MDR waiter on Jubilee... Eduardo.  Tall big built man, like a football player... but gentle and graceful... always served with a smile of pearly whites.  The envelops at the end was a nice touch.  It's been 12 years, but I think I would go to the purser's desk and they would give me envelopes for my end-of-cruise additional tipping.  Do they still provide envelopes ?  347 days until I cruise next... it will have been 13 years in-between.

I was looking at my old 1987 documents... if you used your S&S card for drinks, that auto added a 15% gratuity.  But I'm pretty sure I always paid for drinks in cash and not my S&S card.  I fact, I don't think I understood the concept of a S&S card... just thought of it as my cruise card to get on and off the ship.  I'm pretty sure I paid cash for everything back then.    

There wasn't a sail and sign card, we were given a metal room key like in a hotel. Charges were signed to the cabin by showing your cabin key. Envelopes are still available at the guest services counter. I recall having a paper card with my name and cabin number on it as proof I was a passenger to show at the gangway.

Edited by sanmarcosman

12 hours ago, sanmarcosman said:

There wasn't a sail and sign card, we were given a metal room key like in a hotel. Charges were signed to the cabin by showing your cabin key. Envelopes are still available at the guest services counter. I recall having a paper card with my name and cabin number on it as proof I was a passenger to show at the gangway.

Wow you are old.....😎

On 6/25/2019 at 10:06 AM, CruiseRonJulie said:

I think it is time for Carnival to make it near impossible to remove the gratuities. I have read all of the excuses people give and I believe they are just looking for a reason to not tip:

1. The crew doesn't get the tips (do you really think that after all this time, we would not have heard this?0

2. I like to tip in cash (yeah, and I am sure you track down the laundry people and those at the Lido Buffet to tip them)

3. I think tipping should not be mandated

4. Insert another reason here:  the crew doesn't speak English, I didn't get a chocolate on my pillow, I only got a Lanyard, etc.

Please if you are just looking for a way to stiff the crew, be honest and just say "I want to keep my $14.00.

I think tips should be automatic. If you have an issue or reason why you do not want to pay tips,  you should be required to go to guest services on the ship and explain what the problem is that created your decision.  I'm sure they would appreciate knowing what transpired so that they can correct the issue immediately and remedy the situation for the next guests boarding the ship.

Just wanted to say I have removed tips in the past when cabin,dining service was extremely poor.  And usually this is after I have told the guest services desk,and nothing is improved.  Tips should be given for ok,or good service!

7 hours ago, silversneakers said:

I think tips should be automatic. If you have an issue or reason why you do not want to pay tips,  you should be required to go to guest services on the ship and explain what the problem is that created your decision.  I'm sure they would appreciate knowing what transpired so that they can correct the issue immediately and remedy the situation for the next guests boarding the ship.

So you complain and say remove the tips - then what??

They try to correct and you say not good enough...Back to square one.

I believe Carnival doesn't care if you remove the gratuities -and most people out who cruise don't care to think of this. 

• Like 1

On 6/25/2019 at 4:57 PM, cruisegus said:

Ever go to a restaurant in the US with a big party, say 10+ and had a gratuity automatically added to your bill at 18 to 20%?

Even if you ask for the manager, do you think they would let you remove it?  Not hardly.  Should be the same on a cruise ship.

Though I am also a proponent that we as a society in the USA, quit playing his TIP game, along with all the other nickle and dime service charges, resort fees, technology fee, etc and take a page from Europeans and, only have one price, the bottom line with no other charges allowed.  Will this raise prices or at least our perception of them, yes but your actual cost will still be the same and be up front.

Unfortunately, this isn't possible in the US. We could reduce some of the hidden fees for sure, but can't follow Europe on a flat price.  Mostly because of the internet. When I sell an item, taxes are not just based on the State the buyer is in, but the county. It's absurd. So the price is different across the board. 

Of course, with something like a cruise and even hotels, inclusive pricing should be mandated because it's not dynamic. People are rightfully fed up with all the hidden costs. 

I can't think of a time on a cruise, vacation, or just daily living that I would not treat someone the way I want to be treated. Whenever this type of topic presents itself,  I instantly recall a time that I had an encounter with one of our waitstaff on a cruise that, probably a lot of people would normally be highly offended by and not say anything to the person,  but remove tips and complain to their manager about it.  I would encourage others to think before they act on that.  Individuals don't go into the service industry with the goal of making people miserable. They are usually there to make a living and even provide for family members back home. Every person has a horrible day, and when we do we all appreciate some grace for our less than desirable behavior on those days. Instead of taking away, try giving more. It might be the therapist in me,  but I could tell by the way this woman was behaving that she was having an extremely difficult time keeping herself together,  let alone tending to everyone else's needs. With that said,  I always bring "thank you" cards on cruise vacations to write notes of appreciation and provide a trinket from the islands, representing our time spent with that person (i.e. waitstaff, room attendant, repeat bar server, etc.) as a memory of our appreciation for their service. Once the dinner was over that evening and we left, I decided to write my note of appreciation to this woman.  I told her that I know every person has an off day and that it must be difficult to be far away from family for so long,  and expected to be happy and cheerful to so many people when you're hurting on the inside.  I mentioned how I appreciated her hardwork and dedication to serve so many and work such long hours. I told her that I wanted her to know that we see her and we hope that whatever she may be feeling that we see value in her and appreciate all she does to help make the cruisers vacation special. I included a $100 dollar bill in the card, in addition to a little flower bracelet my daughter picked out for her.  I took that sealed card to guest services and requested that they please give it to her as soon as possible.  You would not believe the response I received from her.  We no sooner entered the dining room 2 nights later (due to missing the previous night being on the island) and this woman comes up to me and asks if she can hug me.  I happily obliged and this poor woman just sobbed as she hugged me, profusely thanking me for what I had done and how much that meant to her. She didn't understand how I knew she wasn't ok but was beyond grateful. Later the Maitre d asked if all was ok being that he saw all this go down. I replied, it couldn't be better. At the end of our cruise we received a thank you note from her and her heartfelt response. Needless to say it was an end to a perfect vacation. 

Lesson here is that, it's better to put yourself in others shoes and lose the entitlement attitude, than to make sure each person pays for their less-than-stellar attitudes. Every person makes mistakes. Show kindness to others and be giving, it is so much more rewarding than the alternative. 🙂

• Like 2