Error in Deluxe Beverage package pricing?

2 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

For many, it's not the "honest mistake" that people are bashing Royal for; it's the way they handled the situation after the fact. It's like United and the Dr. Dao incident; most people weren't worked up that the flight was overbooked and somebody got bumped; that happens all the time. People got upset that he was removed after boarding, and that United escalated it by calling police who used force.

In this case the initial mistake was compounded by the fact that Royal:

1) Was advertising the rate via phone, social media, and website

2) Social media and phone reps were saying that it was a valid sale

3) Once it was revealed as a mistake, phone and social media reps were saying it would be honored

4) Royal took a very long time to fix the mistake on the website

5) THEN, Royal started to delete all their social media posts saying it would be honored and backtracked, telling people it wouldn't be honored

6) When people pointed out screenshots of Royal saying it would be honored, Royal responded kinda condescendingly with messages like they were sorry for any confusion and to read the fine print.

For me, I went in fully expecting it to be cancelled and refunded. I'm not upset at all if they do end up cancelling it. But I am really put off by the way they handled the situation after the fact. It won't stop me from sailing on Royal in the future and I won't cancel any of my cruises, but I am definitely disappointed in the way they handled this situation.

There's a right way and a wrong way to recover from a mistake. Royal chose the worst way possible.

This^^^  You summed it up well.  Not upset about the glitch, just the handling of it all.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MandyMooToo said:

I think part of the reason people were under the impression that it was real is because it was listed as a special offer.  My purchase says "Drink Package Special Offer" and not just the standard drink package.  Just a thought though.

Since both have to buy, we do not purchase the drink package, but when I saw "Drink Package Special Offer", $18,  I thought, ok this is worth it.  I have a screen shot of the offer that I saved, plus my confirmation email, not that will help if Royal decides to cancel.

• Like 2

What I dont understand is why people on this board are so rude and nasty when people legitimately bought this sale believing it was a sale?  Especially when told by reps that it WAS valid.  So I guess I should always assume any price on the RCCL website and quoted to me over the phone is invalid?  This whole thing is so disappointing and it is even sadder how gleeful some people here seem to be about this whole situation. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, marci22 said:

Royal Caribbean twitter says  they will send out emails in 3-4 hours.

yes, you will get an email if you cancel.  In fact, a few years ago the only reason I knew Royal accidently canceled my cruises was because I got an email saying my beverage package had been canceled since the cruise was canceled.  Thank goodness the email about the package came early in the morning and I was able to call and get the same cabin/price I originally had.  Again, they were having system issues and was showing I still owed money after final payment so they canceled it.   

1 minute ago, Biker19 said:

How about if they cancelled the packages when the customers boarded their sailing a year from now?

🤣 Touche. There are definitely worse ways they could have responded. I should learn to not use superlatives, I think that was a lesson back in college English

7 minutes ago, awestover89 said:

I would find it hilarious if NCL or CCL announces a "Royal Caribbean Flash Sale" and legit offers their drink packages for $18 a day for like 6 hours or so. Treat it like advertising spend.

Lol NCL would never do that.  We pay more in gratuities per day for our drink packages!

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ChollaChick said:

What I dont understand is why people on this board are so rude and nasty when people legitimately bought this sale believing it was a sale?  Especially when told by reps that it WAS valid.  So I guess I should always assume any price on the RCCL website and quoted to me over the phone is invalid?  This whole thing is so disappointing and it is even sadder how gleeful some people here seem to be about this whole situation. 

The price was too low to be anything other than a glitch.  The lowest I have ever seen is $42/day, others have seen as low as $38/day.  You did your due diligence and called and were told it was a valid price.  If they end up cancelling all of these $18 packages, you should go after them to get your $44/day price reinstated.  They should be able to look at the reservation and see you called in.  

There are going to be people like you who don't cruise a lot with Royal Caribbean, who don't know what a good sale price is and are going to be burnt by this glitch.  I would just let it play out and then act if they cancel your packages.  Have your email confirmations as evidence and try to remember who you spoke to yesterday.  I always write down the date, time and name of who I have spoken and tell them to go check their records.

As far as the attitudes on this board, choose to ignore or skip the peoples posts that you can't tolerate.  It gets you through threads like these much quicker when you skip a bunch of people. 😄 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

97E971E0-DA53-4ADD-8259-2F38FB920AC7.thumb.jpeg.e90229af1de18eb188d3437ac001f130.jpegRoyal’s Twitter is also stating that you can repurchase at the prevailing rate. To me that means if you purchased at $46 and canceled to purchase at $18, but the prevailing rate today is $52....you will be paying $52. 

Edited by belmontcrew
  • Like 1

So far I have recieved no notification from rccl as to whether or not they are canceling yesterdays bev purchases. So I look at it as I have it purchased and it stands. 

Now the bummer part is my visa I used, closing date is the 9th. If they decide to cancel and credit, i would like it happen begore then. Otherwise i will have to pay for said charges, then have a credit on my card. It's  a royal visa. 

This could be a huge can of worms if they decide to cancel and refund. 

I am also worried about reservations being screwed up. And you know they will tell you to rebook at higher price. 

6 minutes ago, suesnake2002 said:

So far I have recieved no notification from rccl as to whether or not they are canceling yesterdays bev purchases. So I look at it as I have it purchased and it stands. 

Now the bummer part is my visa I used, closing date is the 9th. If they decide to cancel and credit, i would like it happen begore then. Otherwise i will have to pay for said charges, then have a credit on my card. It's  a royal visa. 

This could be a huge can of worms if they decide to cancel and refund. 

I am also worried about reservations being screwed up. And you know they will tell you to rebook at higher price. 

Our card closes on the 5th, so I know the credit will be in a different month.  Will just use it against the next months charges, not a big deal.

Plot Twist: Instead of refunding our Credit Cards we get on board credit.

I got the 18 dollar deal and thought it was too good to be true but heck if I wasnt going to purchase it based on that. 

We always get the package and RC always comes out ahead on it. Really the only people that will lose out if this doesnt get cancelled are the RC employees. Cause 18% of 18 a day is a hell of a lot lower. 

Yeah biker i know, but we could always dream. 

I think i want my money refunded to me by check via fed ex. Lol

Wouldn't it be nice for the inconvenience of it all to offered a true sale rate of say $38. I would accept that. 

Also if i get an email from royal stating they will cancel and refund, i will contact my charge and either stop payment or contest the charges. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Wtr_Logged_Isiot said:

Plot Twist: Instead of refunding our Credit Cards we get on board credit.

I got the 18 dollar deal and thought it was too good to be true but heck if I wasnt going to purchase it based on that. 

We always get the package and RC always comes out ahead on it. Really the only people that will lose out if this doesnt get cancelled are the RC employees. Cause 18% of 18 a day is a hell of a lot lower. 

I do wonder what the transaction fees will be for purchasing and then reversing all the charges.

1 minute ago, suesnake2002 said:

Also if i get an email from royal stating they will cancel and refund, i will contact my charge and either stop payment or contest the charges. 

I didn't know you can dispute a refund.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

They might have honored the original price if folks hadn't shared the glitch here and on FB

Loose lips sink ships

This, exactly. People shared on FB, Twitter, even called RC to see if it was a mistake. 

This is the downside of Social Media, and instant information. 

I have benefitted from pricing/human errors in the past. Waited for months expecting the errors to be caught, yet our pricing never changed. The only people that ever knew about them were myself and my husband. We also benefitted from a super low dining package sale once - it was a sale listed for one day only, and I’ve never seen the price that low again. Looking back now, that could have been a glitch also. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

Good luck trying to get your $44 package back when the $18 one gets cancelled.

It's the risk they took when trying to take advantage and save a few bucks.  Rolled the dice, may win, may lose :classic_tongue:

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, reallyitsmema said:

Our card closes on the 5th, so I know the credit will be in a different month.  Will just use it against the next months charges, not a big deal.

All the charges from last night are pending on my account. I expect they will just drop off and not actually get charged.  Won’t affect the bottom line at all. 

I HAVE CONTACTED CBS NEWS IN NEW YORK ABOUT A POSSIBLE BREAKING NEWS STORY. 

Biker- if I'm charged today and don't recieve a refund for say a week. I'm gonna contest charge cause refund did not go thru yet. And i won't have to pay and get a credit. The charge i use is for cruises only. I don't need or want a $900 credit

• Like 1