Craziest thing You've ever seen happen on a Cruiseship?

SailorMan20

14 hours ago, ilikeanswers said:

I wonder if any staff on the cruise ship told her that her shirt was inappropriate? Would they do that? 

I wouldn't imagine the wait staff would mention it but perhaps one of the senior staff might. But then again I guess it'd depend on company policy even for them too approach a passenger about it. I cant believe a cruise line like Disney letting it slip by without it being addressed.🤨.

Mac

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I imagine anyone crass enough to wear an offensive shirt is probably volatile enough that a request could quickly escalate into an incident with them.  For that reason I imagine that type of scenario would be handled by an officer and/or security.  

• Like 1

On 1/8/2020 at 8:02 PM, MicCanberra said:

And yet, for me, it is usually not what is on the shirt but who is in it (or not in one at all) that often offends me.

There is that factor also.  Including size and shape of the person versus the size of the shirt. 😄

But the same thing applies about those not in one at all.  Some are offensive, some are quite attractive. 😄

• Like 1

5 hours ago, ducklite said:

I imagine anyone crass enough to wear an offensive shirt is probably volatile enough that a request could quickly escalate into an incident with them.  For that reason I imagine that type of scenario would be handled by an officer and/or security.  

I agree, security would need to be involved.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SRF said:

There is that factor also.  Including size and shape of the person versus the size of the shirt. 😄

But the same thing applies about those not in one at all.  Some are offensive, some are quite attractive. 😄

Exactly.

On 1/9/2020 at 12:52 AM, DarrenM said:

Am I reading this right? People really do get offended by what's written on a shirt?

I am with you. It's not the shirt it's the person.sometimes an apparent offensive shirt could be just someone's sense of humour being a bit different.

I have some hugely offensive tee shirts. Well they are for some. For others they would be hilarious.

It's all in the best possible taste.

Yes and why was she let into any public area on the ship?  Totally inappropriate.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, ducklite said:

I think someone wearing a shirt like that actually wants the altercation to happen.  

For the particular shirt in question I think it best she spend a lot of time looking at herself in the mirror.  hahah

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ldubs said:

I think someone wearing a shirt like that actually wants the altercation to happen.  

For the particular shirt in question I think it best she spend a lot of time looking at herself in the mirror.  hahah

Yep, which is why I was more offended by the person than the message.

13 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

And can't figure out why no one else is looking at her, thus the shirt, because she knows people will look at it.

Actually, I was thinking the mirror so she might see who that message was really talking about.  😮   

On 1/9/2020 at 4:00 PM, wowzz said:

But walking around a family ship with a tee shirt emblazoned with four letter words. How is that acceptable?  You cannot compare it to RG swearing in front of an adult audience.

Four letter word? You mean it said "Work"? Or perhaps "Shop". Honestly the only thing I find more amusing than these shirts is this conversation. So you're saying they knew some among the cruise crowd would be uptight clutching their pearls so they wore it just to see that and be amused? Hilarious. 

As to who wears them well there have been some studies which showed people who swear are more likely to be highly intelligent. No idea how that applies to these shirt wears but it does give one pause to wonder. Personally I don't really swear because I'm old and was raised in a conservative home. I don't give two figs if others swear or wear shirts with swear words on them. I've seen quite a few I thought were quite amusing and a fair few that I didn't see the humor.

Either way don't care. I'm not on a cruise to care about what others wear. I suppose when someone gets themselves elected grand pooh-bah of cruise wear they can police it. I can tell you if they do elect someone to police it that'll be the last I'm on a cruise. I cruise to get away from such nonsense.

Which brings me to the wildest things I've seen on cruises. The amount of people who waste their cruises fussing about what others wear or do amazes me. I guess to each their own entertainment. If it isn't an issue directly affecting health or safety, I don't care and I don't see why anyone else should. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, TravelinGert said:

Which brings me to the wildest things I've seen on cruises. The amount of people who waste their cruises fussing about what others wear or do amazes me.

Waste their cruises fussing? You believe that anyone who finds that the use of the crudest words on a shirt, or bad behavior offensive must be wasting their entire cruise fussing about it? Is it not possible to see something, find it disgusting, and then move on? It's called having an opinion. Nowhere have I seen anyone say that they dwelt on it for their entire cruise. The use of hyperbole does nothing to strengthen your stance. If that's the wildest thing you've ever seen, you either cruise on very boring ships, or haven't been paying attention. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, mom says said:

Waste their cruises fussing? You believe that anyone who finds that the use of the crudest words on a shirt, or bad behavior offensive must be wasting their entire cruise fussing about it? Is it not possible to see something, find it disgusting, and then move on? It's called having an opinion. Nowhere have I seen anyone say that they dwelt on it for their entire cruise. 

Too be fair the talk about this T shirt has gone on for a few pages now😂, even with the photo removed. So if you were coming to this thread for the first time it does feel like people are a little obsessed about it😜

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, ilikeanswers said:

Too be fair the talk about this T shirt has gone on for a few pages now😂, even with the photo removed. So if you were coming to this thread for the first time it does feel like people are a little obsessed about it😜

I can't argue with you there. Latecomers have no idea what we're talking about. And it has gone on too long. Somebody come up with a NEW crazy thing. Please!

10 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

Four letter word? You mean it said "Work"? Or perhaps "Shop". Honestly the only thing I find more amusing than these shirts is this conversation. So you're saying they knew some among the cruise crowd would be uptight clutching their pearls so they wore it just to see that and be amused? Hilarious. 

As to who wears them well there have been some studies which showed people who swear are more likely to be highly intelligent. No idea how that applies to these shirt wears but it does give one pause to wonder. Personally I don't really swear because I'm old and was raised in a conservative home. I don't give two figs if others swear or wear shirts with swear words on them. I've seen quite a few I thought were quite amusing and a fair few that I didn't see the humor.

Either way don't care. I'm not on a cruise to care about what others wear. I suppose when someone gets themselves elected grand pooh-bah of cruise wear they can police it. I can tell you if they do elect someone to police it that'll be the last I'm on a cruise. I cruise to get away from such nonsense.

Which brings me to the wildest things I've seen on cruises. The amount of people who waste their cruises fussing about what others wear or do amazes me. I guess to each their own entertainment. If it isn't an issue directly affecting health or safety, I don't care and I don't see why anyone else should. 

Well said.

13 hours ago, TravelinGert said:

I suppose when someone gets themselves elected grand pooh-bah of cruise wear they can police it. I can tell you if they do elect someone to police it that'll be the last I'm on a cruise.

Someone at Carnival did.  “Studies have shown” that if more people become offended by rules fewer of them will go where those rules apply.  Less people will mean more empty cabins, thus lower fares.  “Studies have also shown” that if a departure port is seen as a chaotic mess fewer people will choose to use it.  Same result.  So shout it from the rooftops:

“Carnival cruise line is a bunch of stuck up snobs who won’t let you wear your F*** THE POLICE tee shirt and Galveston is completely disorganized with horrible traffic and long lines!”

Just doing my part for lower fares from Galveston where we sail from 4 or 5 times a year.  

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Here is an image of a rude shirt.

shirt 1.jpg

This one's neither here nor there.  It's basically what you'd see in the hairiest chest contest.  Just PLEASE don't wear it anywhere people are eating, at least other than by the pool.  Body hair and food aren't an appetizing combination.

10 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

or this.

shirt.png

This one's more crass than rude.  It's similar to "It's better to let it out and bear the smell, than to hold it in and bear the pressure."  It's fine to wear, except maybe to the MDR, as long as you're not actually acting rude toward people.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
rephrasing/clarification.