I just got out of RCCL booking hell/jail

Started at 9am EST, got a meal, and ended at 4:30pm EST.  I am sooooooo done and sick of this.

I had 2 cruises, one with a $231 FCC and they are b2b.  Wanted two that required less air travel, and hopefully cost less.  I found them today.  

Well, it took RCCL 2.5 hours to do it, and I was still suspicious that the pricing on one of them was wrong, because the RCCL fuzzy math just wasn't making sense.  Plus, the invoices were incorrect:  1 had the cabin number from the old cruise, and the balance due was wrong (due to my suspicions); the 2nd cruise had the final payment amount and due date left over from the old cruise.

Got lunch.  Back on the phone.

It took my TA two phone calls to get RCCL to realize that, "Oh, YES, we do indeed have a $50 flash sale today, and oh, yes, you should have that $50 discount".  My total went from owing them money to getting a credit.

All the incorrect cabin number, and invoice amounts and dates came from RCCL.  My TA just forwarded the invoices in their agency forms.  So, all that had to get corrected, too.

It's not the money that's my issue, but the INCREDIBLE amount of time it took to transfer 2 cruises to new ships and dates, re-price, and apply a $231 FCC.  It should have taken about 15 - 30 minutes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Started at 9am EST, got a meal, and ended at 4:30pm EST.  I am sooooooo done and sick of this.

I had 2 cruises, one with a $231 FCC and they are b2b.  Wanted two that required less air travel, and hopefully cost less.  I found them today.  

Well, it took RCCL 2.5 hours to do it, and I was still suspicious that the pricing on one of them was wrong, because the RCCL fuzzy math just wasn't making sense.  Plus, the invoices were incorrect:  1 had the cabin number from the old cruise, and the balance due was wrong (due to my suspicions); the 2nd cruise had the final payment amount and due date left over from the old cruise.

Got lunch.  Back on the phone.

It took my TA two phone calls to get RCCL to realize that, "Oh, YES, we do indeed have a $50 flash sale today, and oh, yes, you should have that $50 discount".  My total went from owing them money to getting a credit.

All the incorrect cabin number, and invoice amounts and dates came from RCCL.  My TA just forwarded the invoices in their agency forms.  So, all that had to get corrected, too.

It's not the money that's my issue, but the INCREDIBLE amount of time it took to transfer 2 cruises to new ships and dates, re-price, and apply a $231 FCC.  It should have taken about 15 - 30 minutes.

So you couldn't just have your TA handle the whole debacle and call you when its done?

• Like 16

1 hour ago, Milwaukee Eight said:

Been in CC jail but never in Royal jail. 

I'm not sure if I should welcome you to the club or you should welcome me. How long was your bid?

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Banned from posting for a period of time due to momentary lapses of judgement 

I see. I am surprised my sarcastic mouth has not gotten me into that before.

54 minutes ago, Iamcruzin said:

Cruise Critic Jail.

I figured the CC part, I just didn't know what it entailed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

So you couldn't just have your TA handle the whole debacle and call you when its done?

My TA insists that the customer stay on the phone so the corrections can be done to the customer's satisfaction.  Rarely do they call back, as they want to provide the service immediately.  Good thing I have unlimited minutes on my cell phone plan!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, blackshirt said:

I don’t get it. Since you can’t call RCCL directly if booked through a TA, were on the phone with RCCL and your TA? 

No, sorry:  I was on the phone with my TA, then when neither of us could figure out the fuzzy math, we got a conference call with the RCCL rep, and then I took pity on everyone, accepted (really didn't) the bookings so everyone could get on with their day/meal, then called back to the TA again to get things corrected.

8 hours ago, crusinthrough said:

What is the issue? What is booking jail?

Bob is correct:  I was on the phone for about 5-6 hours yesterday to get 30 minutes of changes done.  Mr. Pcur wouldn't come back in the room because of the horrible TA hold music.  It was like listening to "It's a Small World" all day!!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, pcur said:

Bob is correct:  I was on the phone for about 5-6 hours yesterday to get 30 minutes of changes done.  Mr. Pcur wouldn't come back in the room because of the horrible TA hold music.  It was like listening to "It's a Small World" all day!!

I would find a new TA.  One of the benefits of a TA is THEM spending all the time on hold, not making you wait as well.  That is NOT good customer service.  

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

I would find a new TA.  One of the benefits of a TA is THEM spending all the time on hold, not making you wait as well.  That is NOT good customer service.  

Yes, your opinion, but I actually like to deal with my TA.  The fact that they want to IMMEDIATELY handle my problem is a comfort, and the vast majority of the time my calls to them are about 10 minutes or less.  They are dogged about pleasing their customers, and it was ME that kept things going, because the math wasn't working out.  

My TA frequently has blocks of cabins for lower prices, always gives me a cash card which lowers my expenses (and, therefore my credit card bill) after I get back, and we've received other perks along the way, too.

Yesterday was a one time incident after doing business with them for years.

I consider the root cause of yesterday's hell to be RCCL's incompetent agents who don't have the foggiest idea how their computer system is (incorrectly) calculating the pricing.  Like I said, it took all that time to get the pricing right. 

Edited by pcur
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pcur said:

My TA insists that the customer stay on the phone so the corrections can be done to the customer's satisfaction.  Rarely do they call back, as they want to provide the service immediately.  Good thing I have unlimited minutes on my cell phone plan!

I believe I had to do that once years ago. I dont recall the circumstances.  Have been lucky I guess

• Like 1

1 hour ago, pcur said:

Yes, your opinion, but I actually like to deal with my TA.  The fact that they want to IMMEDIATELY handle my problem is a comfort, and the vast majority of the time my calls to them are about 10 minutes or less.  They are dogged about pleasing their customers, and it was ME that kept things going, because the math wasn't working out.  

My TA frequently has blocks of cabins for lower prices, always gives me a cash card which lowers my expenses (and, therefore my credit card bill) after I get back, and we've received other perks along the way, too.

Yesterday was a one time incident after doing business with them for years.

I consider the root cause of yesterday's hell to be RCCL's incompetent agents who don't have the foggiest idea how their computer system is (incorrectly) calculating the pricing.  Like I said, it took all that time to get the pricing right. 

Training and newbie agents can result in the reported problems in this thread.

We love our TA and their service as well...and they've saved us a ton of money over the years off retail and even "sale" prices. Yes...the large ones have blocks of pre-committed cabins...which renders a discount (based on availability) that can get passed to their customers.

Even the new/trainee agents are supervised at our TA office in their bookings. Add in the great service we receive - and we are very happy with ours.