Marriage license needed?

I have read several comments on Facebook Mariner group of people saying marriage license was needed as well as birth certificate. I know birth certificate or passport but in my 25 years of cruising have never had to have a marriage license before I had a passport. Is this something new? Taking family members without a passport but they have the required BC and state ID.

3 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

Read post 2

I read post 2.  Certainly, that is a possible explanation and if the OP had described that scenario in her post then OK.  All that was said was that some FB posters are saying you need a Marriage Certificate..... for what specific purpose?

• Like 1

It is stated on RC site that the name on the reservation must match the government issued ID . If it does not match, then you need a marriage license or divorce documentation along with the ID. That seems to me that a BC is sufficient with ID as long as ID matches name on reservation.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, d9704011 said:

I read post 2.  Certainly, that is a possible explanation and if the OP had described that scenario in her post then OK.  All that was said was that some FB posters are saying you need a Marriage Certificate..... for what specific purpose?

You need to be able to read between the lines here on CC.

• Like 2

I've never needed my marriage lic, either...ever.  They understand that a married woman's BC will never match her ID if she changed her last name upon marriage.  They are looking at the birth date.

2 minutes ago, hannahsnana said:

It is stated on RC site that the name on the reservation must match the government issued ID . If it does not match, then you need a marriage license or divorce documentation along with the ID. That seems to me that a BC is sufficient with ID as long as ID matches name on reservation.

1 minute ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You need to be able to read between the lines here on CC.

Ha!!  More like need to be a psychic.  Anyway, the OP has clarified the situation and ought to be satisfied that she and her group do not fall into the non-matching name bin.

29 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

I've never needed my marriage lic, either...ever.  They understand that a married woman's BC will never match her ID if she changed her last name upon marriage.  They are looking at the birth date.

That is a dangerously broad statement.  We had a friend denied boarding at POM in 2016 because the name on her BC and her DL did not match (luckily someone was home in TX that could email a copy of the appropriate paperwork)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, kernie968 said:

I had been on 5 cruises with no one asking for my marriage certificate, but on the sixth cruise the woman told me I could not board without it. I always brought it just in case.

Good thing you always had it with you.  You never know when someone will ask for it, and it would ruin the day if they denied boarding.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Wrong again. Have seen people refused to board without Marriage Licence

If you are using a birth certificate and government issued ID Royal expects the names to match or for documentation showing the change as stated in their FAQ. This is over and above what the DHS regulations require.

It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document ( e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cb at sea said:

But have you ever used your birth certificate to cruise? You appear to be a veteran cruise and I presume you use your passport.

Seems to me that anyone who plans to travel using a birth certificate just needs to ask themselves one question, am I better off having my marriage license and not needing it or not having my marriage license and needing it?  Arguing over whether it is needed or not is pointless since clearly there are cases where it wasn’t needed and cases where it was.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, jessed said:

I and my family have cruised many times with just a BC and DL and have never been asked for a MC. Before we got passports, I did bring it just to be on the safe side. 

The real reason that a marriage license would absolutely be needed? That is when the cruise is booked in a name that you have no documentation for such as new bride books the cruise in new married name, but still has picture ID in maiden name.

I can't ever remember anyone missing their cruise as long as they had proper birth certificate and a Government picture ID with same name on cruise documents.

That's why it is usually not asked for.

2 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Good thing you always had it with you.  You never know when someone will ask for it, and it would ruin the day if they denied boarding.

DW just got a passport with a hyphenated last name.  Her DL reflects the same but obviously BC would not have the hyphenation.  So would a passport override the need to present the marriage certificate?

Edited by Mr. Candyman

11 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

So would a passport override the need to present the marriage certificate?

Yes, if the booking shows the name in the passport. 

Edited by Biker19

14 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

DW just got a passport with a hyphenated last name.  Her DL reflects the same but obviously BC would not have the hyphenation.  So would a passport override the need to present the marriage certificate?

Not sure if this is still the case, but it was reported in the past that RC did not allow hyphens in last names on the booking.  Taking the hypen out for RC's purpose did not cause a problem at check-in.

Just now, Host Clarea said:

Not sure if this is still the case, but it was reported in the past that RC did not allow hyphens in last names on the booking.  Taking the hypen out for RC's purpose did not cause a problem at check-in.

You're correct as my TA did mention to me Royal doesn't use hyphens; I'm just used to saying hyphenated.  I'm just trying to be sure the marriage certificate isn't need if she has a passport?

4 minutes ago, Mr. Candyman said:

You're correct as my TA did mention to me Royal doesn't use hyphens; I'm just used to saying hyphenated.  I'm just trying to be sure the marriage certificate isn't need if she has a passport?

If the name on the passport matches the name on the booking (except for the hyphen), that's all you need.

• Thanks 1