Do I need a carry on?

MrsGrohl

I like to travel light to begin with, and the less I actually have to carry with me the better.  Aside from swimsuits, sunblock, and meds, what do I really "need" to carry on with me. I will be carrying all of our documents in my camera bag/purse. We aren't flying in to meet the ship (just an hours + car ride from home), so we won't need to "freshen up" when we get there. I know our luggage could arrive late therefore we wouldn't have a change of clothes, but missing dinner in the MDR isn't a big deal for us.

Thank you in advance.

It seems like you were answering your own question as you asked it.

Also, what you wear on to the ship, as long as it is not visibly your swimsuit will usually suffice for dinner the first night in the MDR. They know some people will not have gotten their luggage, so your statement about missing the first night in the MDR should not even be any concern anyway.

• Like 3

Sounds like you know what you need. We also carry very little on. Plus you can wear whatever you like to the dining room any night, except your bathing suit. They say no shorts, but people wear them anyway.

It's your cruise; wear what pleases you.

2 minutes ago, shark&minnow said:

They say no shorts, but people wear them anyway.

It's your cruise; wear what pleases you.

The dress code for the MDR- Casual or Elegant- doesn't apply to the first night, as they understand that many people may not have received their luggage by the time they go to the dining room for dinner.

Also, FYI, as long as they're not basketball-styled shorts or cutoffs, shorts are allowed in the MDR on the Casual Dining nights.

47 minutes ago, Shaded Lady said:

The dress code for the MDR- Casual or Elegant- doesn't apply to the first night, as they understand that many people may not have received their luggage by the time they go to the dining room for dinner.

Also, FYI, as long as they're not basketball-styled shorts or cutoffs, shorts are allowed in the MDR on the Casual Dining nights.

I have not seen anyone denied into the MDR on RCI for the type of shorts they have on.....apparently you have.

5 minutes ago, Ashland said:

I have not seen anyone denied into the MDR on RCI for the type of shorts they have on.....apparently you have.

First of all, I have never cruised RCCL so I could only comment on Carnival. (RCI is a timeshare company, not a cruiseline).

In fact I've never seen anyone denied access to the MDR for anything they're wearing! I was in fact quoting the Carnival dress code:

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code

• Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, jeans blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire
Edited by Shaded Lady

26 minutes ago, Ashland said:

Rccl will allow shorts in mdr,  maybe 6 or so years ago they didn’t. 

It's up to you,but it's not unheard of that suitcases go missing, both at the airport and at the port.  We take one carryon between the 2 of us. In it is a change of clothes, all of our electronics, all of our prescription  medications, jewellery, and documents. Basically everything we would be upset about losing. Plus the 2 bottles of wine picked up on the way to the ship. The rest is in our checked bag (s) that we hand over to the shoreside porter. 

• Like 1

Whatever you decide to do, remember that you will need something to hold your things from the last evening when you get off the ship (pajamas, makeup, etc.). I find a small carry-on useful on both ends and not much of a nuisance.

• Like 3

We keep our totes or daypacks with us. They contain: medications/3-1-1 zippy bags, dry toiletries, electronics including their chargers, probably sunhats and umbrellas, a spare set of underwear (TMI!), and a few sundry items. Because that is what was in them on the way to the port. We give our carry-on sized suitcases to the porters at the curb. We self-disembark at the end of the cruise.

We do have two cruises booked where we will not have to fly; one is an Uber ride away, the other a commuter train ride (and is a 28-day cruise!) so there may be slight variances to the above protocol. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

First of all, I have never cruised RCCL so I could only comment on Carnival. (RCI is a timeshare company, not a cruiseline).

In fact I've never seen anyone denied access to the MDR for anything they're wearing! I was in fact quoting the Carnival dress code:

“Cruise Casual” Dress Code

• Men: sports slacks, khakis, jeans, long dress shorts and collared polo shirts
  • Women: summer dresses, casual skirts, pants, capris, dress shorts, jeans blouses and tops
  • Not permitted: cut-off jeans, men’s sleeveless shirts, tee-shirts, gym or basketball shorts, baseball hats, flip-flops and bathing suit attire

So, if you want to be precise, use RCCL when speaking of the corporation and RCI when speaking of the cruise line.

No one on these boards is referring to a "timeshare" when using this acronym on Cruise Critic.

However, thanks so much for your input regardless....that the OP gave no mention of the cruiseline but did refer to the MDR which again is an "RCI" term much used on these boards.

8 hours ago, MrsGrohl said:

I like to travel light to begin with, and the less I actually have to carry with me the better.  Aside from swimsuits, sunblock, and meds, what do I really "need" to carry on with me. I will be carrying all of our documents in my camera bag/purse. We aren't flying in to meet the ship (just an hours + car ride from home), so we won't need to "freshen up" when we get there. I know our luggage could arrive late therefore we wouldn't have a change of clothes, but missing dinner in the MDR isn't a big deal for us.

Thank you in advance.

If you are saying what it sounds like, you are just bringing your documents in your camera bag/purse - not clear what you will be doing with your meds (risky to leave them in luggage) and sunblock.  But in any case, that camera bag/purse will BE your carryon — just a very small one.

• Like 1

@Ashland let me apologize... I was befuddled by your comments and was going to respond that I made that assumption based on the fact that the thread was on the Carnival board- but it isn’t!

I’m not sure now how I stumbled across this thread since I’m almost exclusively on the Carnival board, but all my comments were related to Carnival, and I see now that the OP did not specify a cruise line, and it was my mistake.

and never one to be afraid to admit when I’m wrong, I looked up your reference to RCCL and RCI, and for the first time ever, realized that Royal Caribbean International and Resort Condo International have the same acronym. As I’m a member of RCI the timeshare group and have never sailed on Royal Caribbean, I ask your forgiveness for my misunderstanding.

Edited by Shaded Lady
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Shaded Lady said:

@Ashland let me apologize... I was befuddled by your comments and was going to respond that I made that assumption based on the fact that the thread was on the Carnival board- but it isn’t!

I’m not sure now how I stumbled across this thread since I’m almost exclusively on the Carnival board, but all my comments were related to Carnival, and I see now that the OP did not specify a cruise line, and it was my mistake.

and never one to be afraid to admit when I’m wrong, I looked up your reference to RCCL and RCI, and for the first time ever, realized that Royal Caribbean International and Resort Condo International have the same acronym. As I’m a member of RCI the timeshare group and have never sailed on Royal Caribbean, I ask your forgiveness for my misunderstanding.

Absolutely no worries....It's so easy to at time get confused when on different threads. I very much appreciate you taking the time to respond. Happy and healthy cruises to you.

Thank you all once again, I appreciate the tips!
I did originally post this on a Carnival thread and it was moved here.
I didn't forget about our meds, or phone chargers, they will be in my camera bad (which will also be used as my purse).

I'm thinking a backpack will be enough for our swimsuits. What I didn't take into consideration was leaving and how I would carry our clothes from the last night off the ship. I'll probably just stick them in our beach bag for the trip home.

Thank you all again!!! :)

I always carry on the bare essentials of personal care/toiletries as well as my makeup bag--far too expensive and impossible to replace on the fly.  Also in my carry on are travel documents including passport, money, any good jewelry as opposed to inexpensive costume, phone charger, prescription meds, a clean shirt and change of undies, a few packets of essential OTC meds (Advil, Immodium, Zantac), and whatever I'm reading.

• Like 1

I would definitely need my one carry on, since that will have all the clothes I need for a week long or longer cruise or vacation.  I just roll it onto the ship myself.  I use a shoulder bag for meds, phone, kindle, travel docs, etc.

That's what I call traveling light, no checked luggage, unless it's an Alaskan or Med trip.

• Like 2