Door decoration ban

drvmywifecrzy

With age come fading memories, someone else recalled having this water cooler discussion not too long ago with NCL banning them, 2 or 3, maybe 4 years ago ... then, somehow, it slipped under the radar again.  Most cruisers don't bother with it, but I saw them for Halloween, on our January 2019 and more recently on the Dawn with decorations outside the stateroom doors ... some are attractive while others weren't.   All of them flammable if someone put a match or flick a lighter, regardless of whether it's facing the hallway or corridor.  Checked the Freestyle Dailies - not a word about banning them.  

This just kicked in within the past few days or August 1 ?   More popcorn, please. 

Just thinking the same thing, no one does this in hotels.  The doors I’ve seen decorated on cruises are somewhat tacky, yet creative.  However now certain objects reference certain things i.e. whole pineapple thread.  So in today’s world, it may be best to eliminate them.  Also, kids come through the halls and take them off and put them on other doors.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PortFees45 said:

You can find any cabin on the ship by the number next to the door. You don't need anything on the door to find any cabin. 

You can get to an age where your brain leaks a string of digits.  "was it 7042 or 7046"?  is the conversation at the start of the cruise!!  A picture, especially of a map would be easier.  

Edited by ollienbertsmum
  • Like 2

This ban doesn’t appear to be fleetwide at the moment Absolutely no mention of it in our dailies and the staff we have spoken to on the Spirit have all said that there is not a problem with things on the door.

Maybe that will change in the future, we will make sure we always check.

Edited by KeithJenner
  • Like 1

I bet it’s because guest services is tired of dealing with guests who line up to complain that something has happened to the “decor” they left on their door and expect the overworked staff to deal with it

Edited by tanyaewa
  • Like 5

On our Disney cruises tons of doors were decorated.  We decorated ours for our granddaughter. I usually make our decorations from magnetic ink jet printable sheets. They don’t stick out or fall down because the whole thing is magnetic and it definitely leaves no residue on the door. From the feel of the material, it doesn’t seem very flammable, but I could be wrong. I wouldn’t want to try starting a fire with this material, it’s very different from paper. We tend to decorate our door mostly on Disney or on holiday cruises. So I guess I won’t be doing it on the Encore this New Years Eve.

Mary Ann

Edited by UFMOM

I think some are over reacting to this change.  I don't think its aimed at a happy birthday sign or a cruise map posted with magnets on the door.  Some people go all out with tape and don't even bother to take their excessive decorations down.  Then the staff has to remove all this during the extremely busy disembarkation/embarkation day.  Also, there is a new trend of small online cruise vloggers who are into advertising their vlog so that people buy them gifts and even send them on cruises.   You should not be advertising your business outside your NCL Cruise door.  Unfortunately in life, the few bad apples ruin the bunch.

IMHO, cruise maps, happy birthday signs, meet and greet group notes are perfectly fine.  Signs that use tape, streamers, or give web addresses or advertise in anyway should not be allowed.

• Like 12

1 hour ago, david_sobe said:

I think some are over reacting to this change.  I don't think its aimed at a happy birthday sign or a cruise map posted with magnets on the door.  Some people go all out with tape and don't even bother to take their excessive decorations down.  Then the staff has to remove all this during the extremely busy disembarkation/embarkation day.  Also, there is a new trend of small online cruise vloggers who are into advertising their vlog so that people buy them gifts and even send them on cruises.   You should not be advertising your business outside your NCL Cruise door.  Unfortunately in life, the few bad apples ruin the bunch.

IMHO, cruise maps, happy birthday signs, meet and greet group notes are perfectly fine.  Signs that use tape, streamers, or give web addresses or advertise in anyway should not be allowed.

Agreed.

That said, on my last cruise a few weeks ago, someone had those magnetic words stuck on the door for others to create messages.  At first, I thought “what a cool idea”.  Then invariably, someone made a fairly crude message out of them and it wasn’t fun anymore.

I don’t think anyone is trying to snuff out any fun.  You can still decorate your cabin, which is much better than decorating your cabin door.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, graphicguy said:

Agreed.

That said, on my last cruise a few weeks ago, someone had those magnetic words stuck on the door for others to create messages.  At first, I thought “what a cool idea”.  Then invariably, someone made a fairly crude message out of them and it wasn’t fun anymore.

I don’t think anyone is trying to snuff out any fun.  You can still decorate your cabin, which is much better than decorating your cabin door.

what was the message 

9 hours ago, snee said:

Will N.C.L. be stopping leaving all the junk they leave outside your door then because its sometimes there for days

9 hours ago, snee said:

Will N.C.L. be stopping leaving all the junk they leave outside your door then because its sometimes there for days

Good question. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, graphicguy said:

One was about how they smelled.  The other was an insult about their appearance.  

44 minutes ago, PortFees45 said:

lol, c'mon tell us what it really said

probably was wearing a ball cap backwards in a dining room......🙄