RCCL Cannabis Policy. Where? What?

8 minutes ago, gospelle said:

This is a good point (which port we clear US customs). I've not done this itinerary before so I don't know which it is. The first 4 ports including embarkation are all in Canada so even though Canada does have pre-clearance for USA in some ports, I'm not sure that would be at embarkation. Someone who has done that sort of cruise could enlighten us?

Actually its against Canadian Customs https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/rpg-mrp-eng.html

image.png.476ec0087559faa29dd04b9c1c8e350a.png

I researched this last year for a non THC CDB salve I use.

image.png.0e54c02226a1bef8766c697a0b680f17.png

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/cannabis-eng.html

Edited by AlanF65
  • Like 2

14 minutes ago, gospelle said:

You can't have it both ways. You can't say "the moment you step foot in international waters.. illegal, straight to jail." and then say it's allowed under some circumstances.

Canadian ferries do not require you to cross an international border for the same reason you don’t need a passport for one.

you have to show your passport to board the ship right? At that point you are effectively signing out of Canada, a bit like once you’re through to airside at an airport.

the answer is no anyway so just give up.

8 minutes ago, gospelle said:

It would just be simpler if Royal just had a coherent policy on the matter don't you think? Hey, do you know where I might find that? 

Not likely with Royal.

please provide documentation that ferries go into international waters

https://www.straight.com/news/632216/bc-ferries-evacuation-systems-come-under-fire

But if you thought B.C. Ferries vessels would be bound by SOLAS, you’d be wrong. Because B.C. Ferries doesn’t operate in international waters, its ships are not required by Transport Canada to be SOLAS-compliant. Only the Greek-built MV Northern Adventure on B.C.’s north coast is SOLAS-compliant.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, time4u2go said:

Obviously nobody here knows where to find that policy.  I'm still baffled by your aversion to calling and asking for it yourself.

I've answered this previously. Phone agents are notorious for giving incorrect info and nothing verbal is any good anyway.

I have had better luck finding links to other cruise policies here on cruise critic than I ever have had talking to an agent. It appears however that it might not happen in this case because such a written policy may not exist. 

42 minutes ago, gospelle said:

sorry, that article does not talk about "leaving Canadian border" it talks about crossing an international border. It seems pretty clear they're talking about going from Canada to another country. It is not clear that a ship temporarily using international waters between two Canadian ports is in any way not allowed. It is not even clear that the ship will use international waters between some of these ports. they are very close together (St. John NB, Charlottetown PE, Halifax NS are very close together).

So you're saying Canadian Officials will not inspect Ship, Passengers and Luggage? You are 100% sure ship does not enter international waters. With Canadian Law sounds like that is as Important as Royal/Bahamian Law, as we have been pointing out. Said you been on Cruise Critic for 22yrs like I have, so should know, never trust Royal says 100%, or Opinions from CC. Take chance if you want, on you

Edited by ONECRUISER
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, gospelle said:

I've answered this previously. Phone agents are notorious for giving incorrect info and nothing verbal is any good anyway.

I have had better luck finding links to other cruise policies here on cruise critic than I ever have had talking to an agent. It appears however that it might not happen in this case because such a written policy may not exist. 

I wasn't suggesting that you go by their verbal statement.  I was suggesting that you ask them for a specific online link that you can reference.  Obviously nobody here is able to provide that, so why not go to the source?

2 minutes ago, gospelle said:

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/prohibited-items-onboard-policy

lines 3 and 6,  or email  them at https://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/contactUs.do

10 minutes ago, AlanF65 said:

Actually its against Canadian Customs https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/rpg-mrp-eng.html

image.png.476ec0087559faa29dd04b9c1c8e350a.png

I researched this last year for a non THC CDB salve I use.

image.png.0e54c02226a1bef8766c697a0b680f17.png

https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/cannabis-eng.html

This was discussed earlier in the thread. When I go from Quebec City to Charlottestown PEI, I am not leaving Quebec for another country, nor when I get o Charlottestown am I entering from another country. This document does not apply.

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I wasn't suggesting that you go by their verbal statement.  I was suggesting that you ask them for a specific online link that you can reference.  Obviously nobody here is able to provide that, so why not go to the source?

I may have to. Just thought I'd give it a try here. Cruise Critic has been pretty useful for me in the past. Usually I get 20 or so "opinions" before someone pipes up with the actual answer. This has taken a bit longer, perhaps it's the topic.

6 minutes ago, gospelle said:

This was discussed earlier in the thread. When I go from Quebec City to Charlottestown PEI, I am not leaving Quebec for another country, nor when I get o Charlottestown am I entering from another country. This document does not apply.

At some point you exit Canada and enter the US or international waters, 1 of any if these events makes it against, Canadian Law, Bahamas law or US law.

If they go out into international waters at night you have "left" Canada and are now subject to the Bahamas dangerous drug act  http://laws.bahamas.gov.bs/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/2000/2000-0043/DangerousDrugsAct_1.pdf

I would hazard an opinion that the short answer is RCCI does not have the time of day to learn every loophole of every country and implement a policy on a per voyage  /port basis. They have too much at risk if a port agent decides RCCI is involved illegally.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, gospelle said:

Line 3 and 6 reference "illegal drugs". Cannabis is legal in Canada

Cannabis is illegal to take out of Canada, Cannabis  is  illegal to take into the US and Cannabis  is illegal in the Bahamas.

• Like 2

I truly hope this is definitive

https://www.marijuana.com/news/2016/10/can-you-bring-marijuana-on-a-cruise-ship/

“Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd. follows the (U.S.) Federal Law regardless of each state/countries’ recreational marijuana laws. Per Federal Law, Medical Marijuana is still considered illegal.”

If thats not final enough.... Im not sure what will be

• Like 4

2 hours ago, gospelle said:

no, pot is not important to me at all. I'm aware that crossing a border with cannabis is illegal, this thread is about travel within the country, so to use your analogy it would be like travelling between Vegas and Reno. Edibles are not legal in Canada currently.

Ahh but you WILL NOT  be 🧳 ng within Canada between ports.  You will be in international waters.  So yes, by Canadian law you would be exiting the border and thus not permitted to have cannabis in any of its forms with you.

FTR the US military just put out a formal policy announcement saying any item containing CBD is banned as the level of THC will trigger a positive on their drug tests.  Even though it would otherwise be legal in those states that have adopted such a policy.

cruise lines in general take a view that cannabis is not allowed on board no matter what legal status it enjoys elsewhere.  It’s no different than having a smoke free work place that also bans e cigs and vaping

2 minutes ago, travelplus said:

If they allow Cannabis then they will be asked to allow unlimited beer,wine and Liquor brought and consumed in the Staterooms at every port. Then they will permit so much that other people won't enjoy their cruise.

I'm not sure I understand the logic in this.  Don't they already have unlimited drink packages?  What's the difference?  

Edited by time4u2go

3 minutes ago, time4u2go said:

I'm not sure I understand the logic in this.  Don't they already have unlimited drink packages?  What's the difference?  

Some people don't like to spend $$$$ on the Drink Packages and whatever people consume in their staterooms is their own business. So if people smoke Cannabis there are others who will want Royal to allow them to bring liquor and local beer and wine from ports for their own personal consumption. Royal does not have the Craft beer that I like or some of the liquor choices are not what I enjoy.   The wine Royal has could be more local to the ports visited.

Edited by travelplus

1 hour ago, gospelle said:

You can't have it both ways. You can't say "the moment you step foot in international waters.. illegal, straight to jail." and then say it's allowed under some circumstances.

Sure you can.  One, can you prove those ferries go more than 12 miles out to sea when traveling?  If so, can you prove that no exemption is in place granted by Canadian government that permits the possession/use of cannabis on board?  

If they do not go 12 miles out, then they never leave Canadian territory and thus no law is being broken

1 hour ago, gospelle said:

I agree, it's smelling if smoked. A dry herb vaporizer is not smelly though as there is no smoke.

Now you're high. Lets call it marijuana here not a dry herb (yes I now another nick name for it) can be smelled whether smoked, transported in a baggie, mason jar or whatever and even when it's vaporized. Marijuana isn't odorless. Vaporizing only will reduce the smell compared to smoking it as a joint, in a bong or pipe. 

Edited by davekathy