gratuities on every drink?

noahjay2002

Just curious but the website states a 20% gratuity on every drink purchase.  So does this mean with a drink package as a perk, every drink I get will have a gratuity charged to me?  Or did I pay the gratuity up front at time of purchase for the cruise?  On another cruise line or two I never saw gratuity payments for drinks having a drink package (Yes I'm that guy and have my old bills from previous trips).  This is the first time I have scene this in fine print, and first time with cruising with Celebrity.

2 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

TA rumor days that this is changing effective Sept 1 2019. Perk drink packages will no longer include the gratuity, which really undermines the value of the beverage package perks. 

Would that only apply to future sales?  I hope that wouldn't affect our November cruise!

• Like 1

That is how it‘s written on Celebrity webpage as for today and back then when we have booked our beverage packages.

I can only encourage everybody to check their cruise planner, select beverage packages and check the conditions. I have made a screenshot, just incase...

you will need to make reservations onboard.

* Prices are per person unless otherwise noted and shown in USD. All selections are subject to change. Celebrity Cruises reserves the right to verify eligibility upon arrival to the activity.

*All prices in USD are subject to change without notice. A 20% service charge will be added to Soda, Wine, Water, Classic and Premium Package prices at checkout.

• Like 1

I believe the rumored change is only to the Classic Package IF SELECTED as a booking perk.  I believe that if you purchase any beverage package at full retail price the gratuity is added at the time of purchase like it has always been.

9 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

TA rumor days that this is changing effective Sept 1 2019. Perk drink packages will no longer include the gratuity, which really undermines the value of the beverage package perks. 

I just got off the phone with my large, high volume TA inquiring about this. The rep I spoke with called their contact at X and as of right now the rumor is only a rumor. I'm not saying there could never be a change, but  if you have purchase the beverage package, or received it as a booking perk the gratuities are included and will not be charged additionally.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

... but even IF that rumor is true I would expect the gratuity to be a total on the perceived cost of the package perk and not a per drink charge when you are on board.  This practice would align with others like NCL that add the 'service tax' as a lump sum to the cruise cost.  Rumors are a wonderful thing  ... sigh.

So at this very moment, there is no additional charge for a perked beverage package ... it is considered covered within the perk.  For purchased packages, it is the listed cost per day plus an additional 20% to give you the total cost at purchase time.  In neither case do you pay an additional charge later when on board, any tipping you do for a drink is then at your discretion if you feel the 20% you 'paid' prior wasn't enough.

The future is yet to be certain 🙂

5 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I believe the rumored change is only to the Classic Package IF SELECTED as a booking perk.  I believe that if you purchase any beverage package at full retail price the gratuity is added at the time of purchase like it has always been.

Agreed - as I understand it, this rumor would only apply to the Classic Package as a perk. Beverage Packages bought in Cruise Planner have "always" had service charge (whether it be 18% or 20%) added at checkout, just like spa treatments.

13 hours ago, noahjay2002 said:

Just curious but the website states a 20% gratuity on every drink purchase.  So does this mean with a drink package as a perk, every drink I get will have a gratuity charged to me?  Or did I pay the gratuity up front at time of purchase for the cruise?  On another cruise line or two I never saw gratuity payments for drinks having a drink package (Yes I'm that guy and have my old bills from previous trips).  This is the first time I have scene this in fine print, and first time with cruising with Celebrity.

There is no additional fees unless you exceed the maximum amount allowed for the drink.  For example, if you chose a beer that is $2 above the maximum allowed, you would be charged $2 and 20% of that $2.  

Someone started a rumor that has upset a number of cruisers.  Just a rumor for what that is worth.  

• Like 1