How do you store your cruise information?

Cruiser_1977

I went to answer a question a bit ago and had to look at documents from a previous cruise. I keep hard copies of everything (receipts for payments, cruise contract, bordering pass, flight/transfer info, dailies from the ship, etc.) in binders with tabs and I also keep folders in my e-mail organized by trip (see below). It made me think, "am I the only one that takes it this far"? How do you keep your cruise/trip information together? 

Folders.PNG.f248ee88d7222e8d93365cc2aecf491b.PNG

Edited by JennyB1977
  • Like 2

I use plastic envelopes, I've got one for each trip. The itinerary is kept on Google Docs in a spreadsheet with my husband and SIL also being invited to see it.  (SIL so she knows where we are when we are traveling in case of an emergency)

As each reservation is made (cruise/hotel/airfare/rental car/etc. I print it out and put it into chronological order in the envelope.  I also enter it into the spreadsheet.  I save the correspondence in a designated folder for each trip in my email.

While traveling I keep an envelope in the plastic envelope to store receipts and such.  When we return home after I reconcile any charges against the credit card statement, I toss most of the receipts, sometimes making notes on the spreadsheet as to how much something cost for future reference.  I also toss the flotsam and jetsam we tend to accumulate in our travels, although I save some things for future reference.  I have a wooden wine case in the closet in my office, and toss the plastic envelopes into there once the trip and reconciliation are complete.  

Envelopes for trips still to be taken are in my "To-Do" basket on my desk.

Edited by ducklite
  • Like 1

I have folders also. Started keeping them a few years ago because we were  starting to duplicate cruise ships and wanted something to compare it to.  Also, keep e-mails and such on reservations in dropbox. Can access it anywhere.

• Like 1

I've got a plastic envelope for each current/ planning stage trip. Invoices, receipts,  reservations,  and itineraries, boarding passes,  etc, etc go in, in chronological order. These get tossed once used/no longer needed. Receipts received during the trip are added. I keep a travel journal, which I usually write in daily, so the pertinent details are all there. When we get home and the receipts are all verified, everything is shredded into the circular bin. I don't need all the paper taking up room. I have my bookshelf full of travel journals and a computer full of photos to refer to.

• Like 2

I got my favorite and memorable pictures, on my phone in named albums, got my cruise card I think somewhere buried in my desk main drawer with too many similar annual ski passes.

Receipts, daily printouts, travel/cruise brochures, all recycled.

"kodak memories"   all there with the photographs, in the heard and mind, nothing else matters in the end, not the stuff.

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 2

I keep all info on my pc in a specific folder for each cruise.  Any paper items are scanned in.  Then I organize all my folders by cruise dates. I like keeping all my planning info in one folder, and I  add information and reviews  during and after the cruise--like in

a diary.  I also have a WORD doc with the list of cruises, dates, cabins, prices.  Makes it so easy to go back and review a cruise itinerary and ship if we choose to repeat.

• Like 1

After having to spend days/weeks going through all the 'stuff' that our parents left behind when they died, we're making a conscious effort to eliminate anything that's not really meaningful or necessary to keep.    We keep receipts for several months, just long enough to make sure there's no dispute with charges.    Menus, daily newsletters, etc. are disposed of almost immediately - don't know why we even both to carry them home.  

I've kept an Excel spreadsheet Travel & Event Calendar for many years - just a simple listing of where we went, when, a few details.  We keep it, as well as photos and Trip Journals for each trip on our laptop, have saved all of those on an external hard drive back up along with all our other important papers.   

• Like 1

Prior to cruise we create a paper file folder with key info - dates, base cabin price, reservation number - on the cover for fast reference, and print all documents associated with cruise ordered by activity date.   We pack in our carryon for easy access during travel.   After cruise, any remaining paperwork is shredded.  Retain emails associated with cruise in “vacation” email folder for nostalgia.  (This morning we printed flight confirmation for our May 2020 Alaska cruise, and it’s in the file with Pan Pacific confirmation and Princess docs.. yay!)

6 hours ago, JennyB1977 said:

I went to answer a question a bit ago and had to look at documents from a previous cruise. I keep hard copies of everything (receipts for payments, cruise contract, bordering pass, flight/transfer info, dailies from the ship, etc.) in binders with tabs and I also keep folders in my e-mail organized by trip (see below). It made me think, "am I the only one that takes it this far"? How do you keep your cruise/trip information together? 

Folders.PNG.f248ee88d7222e8d93365cc2aecf491b.PNG

I keep everything in folders,absolutely nothing on line.

2 hours ago, Husky61 said:

After the cruise is over I keep nothing.

Oh, thank she-god!!!!!  I make sure I get all the points I'm entitled to when flying and that's that.  Sometimes I don't get around to deleting the online file but eventually I do.

I have an email folder for each upcoming trip - which I dump after the trip is completed. I also have a hard copy “Travel Folder” which holds printouts of cruise confirmations, booked flights, scheduled Amtrak boarding passes, hotel confirmations, car rental confirmations, etc.  As soon as a trip is completed the paper is heaved - otherwise clutter could emerge as a disincentive to further travel.

If the trip was good enough to remember, we’ll remember it — if not, we do not want reminders.

• Like 1

Pre-cruise/trip, I have a folder with hard copies of things.  Flight receipts, hotel confirmations, etc.

For work travel, I generate an itinerary in Excel and carry a printed copy.  Flights, hotels, exchange rates, telephone numbers.  Copies are also left at work (boss, admin, and one taped to my monitor).

As I travel, receipts go in the folder.

Once I am done with the trip, most paper goes in the trash.  I also delete most of the emails regarding the trip.

For person, I discard receipts once the bills come through and all airline/hotel points are credited.  For work, I keep receipts for at least 5 years (required).

So far, every cruise I bring home every Cruise Compass (RCI), then about a year later, throw them out. 😄

• Like 1

I keep no receipts for work stuff once I have been paid the expenses. I would have a paper mountain if I kept them.

I also let my boss know very little. Even less than that to be honest.

They dont need to know my every step.

As for holidays. I keep nothing. Ever.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, clo said:

@OP, do you have any idea why you save all this 'stuff'?  Is there a reason or is it just your MO?

Not the OP, but I save certain things as I've found they have come in very handy down the road when planning another trip.  I budget our trips out pretty well in advance--I research like crazy to know how much to expect to spend on each line item in our itinerary, and pay for as much in advance as possible.  

It's nice to know that "Oh, we're going to Ireland for 10 days, this is how much our budget is, oh look, we're coming up well under budget, let's splurge on afternoon tea at The Westbury" (lovely BTW) or "Uh oh, we're really at the top of our budget without much wiggle room, what can we cut out that won't really affect our trip much--maybe cut a few restaurant dinners and cook in the flat instead, or skip Bobby Van's at JFK pre-flight and just have something at the food court instead."    

As I mentioned, I keep a spreadsheet for each trip and enter the cost for each line item--every meal, admission fee, airfare, car rental, surface transportation, entertainment (plays, etc.) and accommodation is accounted for.  It makes it very easy to go back and see how much I spent on meals in a given city to allow me to closely estimate costs for an upcoming trip at a glance rather than reinventing the wheel.  How much did I spend on groceries over two weeks in London in 2015?  Not a clue but let me look at my spreadsheet and I can tell you.

What was the name of the tour guide who stood us up in Tahiti? I can't remember, but give me a minute and I can pull it up on my spreadsheet.  What was the name of the hotel we stayed at in downtown Seattle that we loved?  I can pull it up in a heartbeat.  Knowledge is power.

• Thanks 1

the thought of keeping spreadsheets outside of work i find unpaletable.

I find them unpaletable at work, and I hate it when a colleague sends me one.

It usually ends up with them being very upset that I havent looked at, commented on, or acted upon their work.

To which I usually reply. Just tell me, I dont need a spreadsheet. With some expletives in the middle somewhere.

I keep my detailed itinerary books for each cruise.  I start a new book when I book the cruise.  This is a word document that I type in hotel, air, tours, transfers, etc. information.  When planning is complete, I type the document and add several lines between each day of the trip, so I have room to add information while on the ship.  This includes special events, dining, new information, people contacts, etc.  I have the book(?) bound before we leave.  When I get home I store the book.  I have referred to these books several times.  Which hotel in Venice?  Which tour company, guide in Ireland?  What was the email of the company in Greece?

I'm always surprised when friends, or even people I've met onboard, ask me about stuff from several years ago.  They know I store that stuff and have been able to supply the information they need.

I'm not technology-smart enough to do all this in a spreadsheet.  I like my method and like having the data even though I might not have it on my phone or computer.

Mary

• Thanks 1

I don't use paper for anything unless I really, really, really need to. TripIt app is my way to keep track of everything, and doesn't rely on an Internet connection once you've uploaded stuff. There's almost nothing you really need paper for, so I avoid it like the plague.

• Like 1

I have a plastic envelope/pouch that I keep our "stuff" in that we bring home.  I use them for my scrapbook.  What doesn't get used gets tossed.  Any info that needs kept is kept on the computer.  My FIL is  a hoarder.  We are all going to pay for that when he dies so I swore to my children that I would not do that to them.  I'm a thrower.

• Like 2

@clo I like to have the records for reference mainly. It's been helpful to answer questions on this forum. It has also helped me in comparing different cruise lines. I am in the process of trying to sail the "mainstream" lines out of the US. Although, after reading some of the comments, I may take the time to scan everything (I have a scanner at home) and keep it on my computer or in the Cloud. 

• Like 1

I have hard copy of all docs and emails in a multi pocket folder, copies in the cloud.  I've had enough experience with persons on the other side of the counter that don't want to see or care to see what's on my phone or tablet. 

Post trip everything is thrown into a folder until the next spring cleaning.  Plane/Trains receipts, travel ins docs are kept longer in a separate envelope incase some future issue comes up.  Stuff in the cloud stays until I'm tired of seeing it.     

Edited by Philob