No water for 5 1/2 hours tonight on our cruise ship - How does it work?

HeinBloed

15 hours ago, kazu said:

I guess you have never lost power and toilet flushing at home?  We have.  We are on a well and while I prepare there are times, it’s unexpected and I don’t have enough water to risk putting in the bowl to flush.

We live on the FL coast and have been without power and water for as much as 5 days after a hurricane ... but we have a swimming pool full of toilet flushing water! 

Edited by catl331

11 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

So sorry! I have no idea why it posted soooo

many times!!

Please forgive me! Every time I tried  to submit it denied me!! 

Go figure

Denise😊

lol...thought perhaps you were trying for more posts!  😂😂  lol...we all do it...

1 hour ago, HeinBloed said:

Thanks. But as said before: never had the situation before.

So no chance to say how other cruise lines handled a similar situation.

You must have a Charmin life to have gotten off Scott free on other cruises.

However, if you want to Cotton(elle) onto how to handle the situation, my suggestions still stand (or sit if that is your preference).

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

17 hours ago, HeinBloed said:

And how serious the malfunction that they cannot wait another 36 hours until we arrive in St. John's?

There most guests would be on shore excursions and must not use water onboard.

And the others who are onboard may use the washrooms in the cruise terminal.

And what if they would not complete the work at 06:00 hrs and everyone wakes up... and... need toilet and coffee and no water available...

while a number of guests would be on shores, others would be awake, on ship. Other ship activities would also be taking place.

far less overall impact on passengers  as they have scheduled.

13 minutes ago, npcl said:

while a number of guests would be on shores, others would be awake, on ship. Other ship activities would also be taking place.

far less overall impact on passengers  as they have scheduled.

You know, npc, they actually did do this on a recent Amsterdam cruise -- schedule the "water off" for a port day.  It worked out, as it was easy to just stay away from one's stateroom during the outage.

Really, it's inconvenient no matter what.  HAL's smaller ships are getting older, and we've just come to accept these inconveniences in exchange for great itineraries and competitive pricing on smaller ships.

7 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

You know, npc, they actually did do this on a recent Amsterdam cruise -- schedule the "water off" for a port day.  It worked out, as it was easy to just stay away from one's stateroom during the outage.

Really, it's inconvenient no matter what.  HAL's smaller ships are getting older, and we've just come to accept these inconveniences in exchange for great itineraries and competitive pricing on smaller ships.

It can happen on any ship, new or old.

I was on the Viking Ocean Star a month ago. The day we embarked, none of the restrooms on deck seven (has the buffet, pool, and other public spaces) were working.

1 minute ago, Homosassa said:

I was on the Viking Ocean Star a month ago. The day we embarked, none of the restrooms on deck seven (has the buffet, pool, and other public spaces) were working.

Thanks for sharing that.  We've not had water issues on newer ships we've sailed on.  That's good information, that it's just "ship happens."

4 minutes ago, Homosassa said:

Totally agree with this.

Same thing on a newer non HAL ship we were on a couple of years ago.  Several key public restrooms were out of order for several days.

It happens whether it’s due to too many people putting the wrong things down, system needs purging or whatever.  It truly is a situation that can happen on any ship.

I’ve seen it on NCL and Princess as well.  It’s a ship problem that can happen anytime, anywhere on any ship.

13 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

So sorry! I have no idea why it posted soooo

many times!!

Please forgive me! Every time I tried  to submit it denied me!! 

Obviously you just want to get your post count high enough that your opinions start to matter 🙂.

4 hours ago, Overhead Fred said:

Maybe we should "flush" this thread!

Even though its hardly the end of the world, it does stink to have the water turned off and discussing how to deal with it isn't necessarily a bad idea.  I mean, it is a situation where if you fail to plan your crap properly, urine trouble!

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, leerathje said:

lol...thought perhaps you were trying for more posts!  😂😂  lol...we all do it...

Sorry that’s not like me. I was at the hospital trying to do my reply form KAZu (Jacqui ‘s) post and I sent it but I kept getting a decline try in 11 seconds? So that is what I did! So it’s ok! 

Out daughter was in surgery yesterday for over 6 hours we have been frazzled and so stressed! Long road ahead!

The WiFi at Scripps La Jolla Hospital was really bad! Our fingers crossed a good recovery ahead!

Denise😊

29 minutes ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Sorry that’s not like me. I was at the hospital trying to do my reply form KAZu (Jacqui ‘s) post and I sent it but I kept getting a decline try in 11 seconds? So that is what I did! So it’s ok! 

Out daughter was in surgery yesterday for over 6 hours we have been frazzled and so stressed! Long road ahead!

The WiFi at Scripps La Jolla Hospital was really bad! Our fingers crossed a good recovery ahead!

Denise😊

Oh...really puts things in proper perspective.  You are in good hands there at Scripps.  We've spent a lot of time there.

Prayers for you and your family.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

This has happened to us on several cruises and since it is at night it is not a big deal. Just don't flush. Better 6 hours than several days IMO. The bigger issue is that sometimes when the water is turned back on, it is brown for a long time - 15 minutes or more. I hate to run water for that period of time coming from a desert where we are often in a drought and have to conserve.

2 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Wishing all the best for your daughter’s recovery and peace of mind for yourselves.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, AL3XCruise said:

LOL

Even though its hardly the end of the world, it does stink to have the water turned off and discussing how to deal with it isn't necessarily a bad idea.  I mean, it is a situation where if you fail to plan your crap properly, urine trouble!

3 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Denise😊

So sorry to hear about your daughter Denise. ❤️ 

Wishing her a speedy recovery or as speedy as is possible 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

When we have limited water supply due to hurricanes, we used the reliable old standard "If it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down".

We have had many cruises that during the wee hours of the morning, you push the flush button and nothing happens.  Usually a few hours later, you hear a flush from the bathroom.  They are working on the vacuum system and that happens many times on cruises with new ships and old ships.   If you gotta go, then go, and when the water is back on, flush it.  No big deal, unless your REAL goal was to score some cabin credits by complaining.   But complaining on CC will not get you too far.  Try the front desk.   

• Like 5

That's my Veendam!  Same thing occurred when we were onboard a couple of years ago.  As others have said, just wait and flush when you can.   There were warnings in 2007 before our first Veendam cruise and it has been a subject of discussion ever since.   We have spent 90 wonderful days on the Veendam with no bad cruises, even when the plumbing has been a subject of discussion.    Enjoy your cruise and don't let a delayed flush spoil it.

In 2009, we enjoyed a cruise from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale return to San Diego, on the previous Statendam.

The morning of the turn around day in Fort Lauderdale we recieved a letter in the stateroom stating that the water would be off from  9 am until 11 am.   The water was turned on again at 2.30 pm.

It would have been more pleasant for the embarking passengers if the water had been turned off at night.

6 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

Wishing all the best for your daughter’s recovery and peace of mind for yourselves.

Thank you soooo much Miss G!!!!

I sure didn’t want to rain on this toilet parade at all! I just wanted people to know my intentions were good trying to send my comment with Kazu (Jacqui)

I’m so surprised by the wonderful response! Our daughter is resting peacefully and doing well with recovery!

I am still wired and trying to relax! It comforts me how much people care! 

I really didn’t want to discuss my personal stuff but at the same time I wanted everyone to know how I felt!

Denise😊

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

Thank you soooo much Miss G!!!!

I sure didn’t want to rain on this toilet parade at all! I just wanted people to know my intentions were good trying to send my comment with Kazu (Jacqui)

I’m so surprised by the wonderful response! Our daughter is resting peacefully and doing well with recovery!

I am still wired and trying to relax! It comforts me how much people care! 

I really didn’t want to discuss my personal stuff but at the same time I wanted everyone to know how I felt!

Denise😊

Best wishes to your daughter recovering from a 6 hour surgery.

Hope you can relax and get a good sleep.

• Thanks 1

On 8/31/2019 at 4:48 PM, Serious Cruisers said:

Some folks have health issues that will not allow them to "roll with the flow" they need the toilet

As has already been mentioned several times, go when you need to go and flush when the system is back up again.

Really, not a big deal at all in the grand scheme of things! 😏

On 9/1/2019 at 6:10 AM, cruisetheworld67 said:

I always  put on my  "Depends Fit-Flex  for Men"  before I turn in for the night.

Also had the same issue  ....water shutoff on a HAL ship.

When I "had to go"  in the middle of  the night....I just went!  Never left the bed!!!

Had  a  little  "leakage"  but not too bad.

The  room steward gave me a  funny look the next day,  but  I  tipped him well at the end of the cruise!

Speaking of TMI! 🤨