No water for 5 1/2 hours tonight on our cruise ship - How does it work?

HeinBloed

49 minutes ago, HeinBloed said:

And how serious the malfunction that they cannot wait another 36 hours until we arrive in St. John's?

Since the engineers are the ones who know the problem and the ship then I am guessing they are the best ones to make the determination as to when and how to make the repairs.  The crew also needs things to function.  Especially during the day when they are washing your socks and preparing your meals.  Get a grip.

• Like 7

There are just some threads when you shake your head, laugh, and hope OP is trying to be amusing.  If you need to pee off the deck in the middle of the night...who cares?  If you feel the need to pee in a grass box in the middle of the night... who cares?   

It seems that, as others have said, HAL has tried to minimize the inconvenience to the majority of passengers.   You must regularly get up between 12:30 a.m. and 6 a.m. to use your toilet...but who cares?  Use your toilet or one of the other options available to you.

Thank you to kazu for a response that pretty much covers everything.  I feel sorry for the staff on board this ship that has to deal with OP.  JMO  cherie

• Like 1

Living in California, where droughts are common, we get used to less water intensive lifestyles. We NEVER flush between go to bed and get up, unless #2 is involved. Going 6 hours without flushing is VERY FAR from a crisis.

Sorry if my 22 cruises and 35K posts doesn't make me qualified to comment in the OP's eyes, but it is the way some in the world are forced to live by circumstances beyond our control.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, kazu said:

That is an outlandish statement to make.

Whether someone has 330 or 3,300 or 33,000 posts is irrelevant.  But their point was well made.  Your statement deriding their number of posts and assuming they couldn’t help, wasn’t.

I guess you have never lost power and toilet flushing at home?  We have.  We are on a well and while I prepare there are times, it’s unexpected and I don’t have enough water to risk putting in the bowl to flush.

It’s very simple if you have to go, you do and it sits there until you can flush.  Gross, maybe but sometimes that’s the way it goes.  Not just on cruise ships, at home too.

So roll up your sleeves, put your big boy pants on, do your last business before it’s shut off and the odds are you may not need it until after it’s back on.  And, if you do, just do it and shut the top down so you don’t have to look.  It’s the only solution.

As to waiting for St John’s - not everyone will get off the ship or a lot will be back early.  Toilets are used at lot less from the time frame they are giving you than during the day.

No one said you can’t use it.  You just can’t flush it.  Pretty simple.

Wowzie,  we  sure are a  spoiled bunch.. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeinBloed said:

Well... since this is my cruise no. 100 (and not all of them with HAL) and HAL changed a lot since my last on HAL 2016 and become in some parts level like MSC and Costa...

everything good on HAL which made them better, more exclusive than others are removed.

By the way: I asked for background information on the changes - so EXPERIENCED cruisers would know what I am talking about.

In 99 cruises before, I never had a total suspension of water supply for 6 1/2 hours - and I was just wondering how other cruiser handled the situation.

But with 330 postings right now, I do not expect that you can add something informative for me.

I truly feel sorry for you. You must be one very unhappy person. Please try to enjoy your cruise.

• Like 1

We don’t flush toilets if it’s just liquid usually anyway - water is too sacred to waste. 

Use the toilet as needed but flush when the system is back. This isn’t rocket science . It’s not too unusual. And it’s not a big deal at all,

• Like 3

3 hours ago, kazu said:

Whether someone has 330 or 3,300 or 33,000 posts is irrelevant.  But their point was well made.  Your statement deriding their number of posts and assuming they couldn’t help, wasn’t.

I guess you have never lost power and toilet flushing at home?  We have.  We are on a well and while I prepare there are times, it’s unexpected and I don’t have enough water to risk putting in the bowl to flush.

It’s very simple if you have to go, you do and it sits there until you can flush.  Gross, maybe but sometimes that’s the way it goes.  Not just on cruise ships, at home too.

So roll up your sleeves, put your big boy pants on, do your last business before it’s shut off and the odds are you may not need it until after it’s back on.  And, if you do, just do it and shut the top down so you don’t have to look.  It’s the only solution.

As to waiting for St John’s - not everyone will get off the ship or a lot will be back early.  Toilets are used at lot less from the time frame they are giving you than during the day.

Jacqui this is the best post ever coming from you!!! I am empresses! I also agree.

Enough said!! Been there done that!

Now when I mean best post I mean right to the gut to the point! Blunt!!! 

Your in-depth cruise reports are so wonderful  with my mere 4900+ comments! I’m more surprised that someone would think like that. WHY?????

Enough said of  of toilets 🚽!!

Thanks Jacqui!

Denise😊

• Like 1

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Jacqui this is the best post ever coming from you!!! I am empresses! I also agree.

Your in-depth cruise reports are so wonderful  with my mere 4900+ comments! I’m more surprised that someone would think like that. WHY?????

Thanks Jacqui!

Denise😊

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks Jacqui!

Denise😊

4 hours ago, kazu said:

Thanks Jacqui!

Denise😊

2 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

So sorry! I have no idea why it posted soooo

many times!!

Please forgive me! Every time I tried  to submit it denied me!! 

Go figure

Denise😊

Oh my gosh this whole thread is hilarious.😂

We’re both still laughing.

Edited by TiogaCruiser
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, rafinmd said:

I think it's safe to say  that the internet on the Veendam is working.

Roy

Most time: better than on any other cruise ships before... Just now between the coverages between Europe and Canada it is is weaker like before but most of the time 90%, you could even upload pictures without any problems.

Even movies are possible.

I always  put on my  "Depends Fit-Flex  for Men"  before I turn in for the night.

Also had the same issue  ....water shutoff on a HAL ship.

When I "had to go"  in the middle of  the night....I just went!  Never left the bed!!!

Had  a  little  "leakage"  but not too bad.

The  room steward gave me a  funny look the next day,  but  I  tipped him well at the end of the cruise!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, HeinBloed said:

What does this statemnent mean?  How many posts must one have before in your eyes they can add something informative?

But with 330 postings right now, I do not expect that you can add something informative for me.

Edited by awhcruiser

Let me  suggest the tried and true solution to your problems that I have witnessed several times:

1. Go to Guest Services.

2. Depending on which of the following apply, use the following opening statements: high Mariner status, amount of money spent on HAL in the past and the amount that you would have spent in the future, and number of  overall cruises and the lines on which you have cruised. 

3. State the problem that is totally ruining your cruise and will leave life long scars from the trauma.

4. Tell how other cruise lines have handled problems.

5. Make your demands. The more popular ones include total refund of fare, demand for on board credit,  and demand that the maintenance be delayed until you are no longer on board ship.

6. Ignore the eye rolls and snickers of the other passengers at Guest Services.

7. Stomp away muttering revenge and, if a Cruise Critic member, promptly start a thread to spread the joy.

I hope this helps. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 4

11 hours ago, DeeniEncinitas said:

So sorry! I have no idea why it posted soooo

many times!!

Please forgive me! Every time I tried  to submit it denied me!! 

Go figure

Denise😊

Don't apologise, Deeni - it fits with the hilarity of the thread, LOL.

• Like 2