If you were Carnival what ships would you order next?

geoffrywillhardt

So knowing that the Panorama is arriving in Long Beach in December, Mardi Gras is coming to Port Canaveral in October of next year, and an unnamed XL class ship will be coming to Miami in 2022; my question is if you were Carnival what class of ships would you order next and where would you position them? If you have an idea for a class of ship they don't have Id be interested in that also.

I would order:

XL class for Galveston

Vista class for Port Canaveral 

Another Vista class to change ports and do specialty cruises. Such as Alaskan, Hawaiian, etc. And to take over for Vista, Horizon, etc when they go to dry dock.  

Also considering how it seems that RCI loves to have the Largest Cruise ship in the world with every new ship upping the last by a few thousand GT I would try to beat them. I would order a new class at say 250,000 GT.

3 hours ago, geoffrywillhardt said:

Also considering how it seems that RCI loves to have the Largest Cruise ship in the world with every new ship upping the last by a few thousand GT I would try to beat them. I would order a new class at say 250,000 GT.

Let RCI have their mega ships.  For us, the Conquest Class had the right amount of passenger/space ratio.  When they make bigger ships, they just pack way too many passengers on them.

• Like 4

Seeing that Royal just ordered a ship smaller than Oasis class, and Oasis can't go to many ports, it looks at the moment that there is somewhat of a cap on how big and how many big ships you can have.

Basically, wherever Royal has an Oasis, I'd put a matching XL.

I think the next problem they need to solve is the fantasy class. It's interesting that Carnival skipped right over those and refurbed the Triumph class. It's an indicator that the Fantasy aren't part of the long-term strategy of Carnival. I wouldn't mind seeing them replaced with anything Conquest - Vista sized

I would pray for at least two more of the size of Spirit class.  As far as refurbing Fantasy class, the did extensive refurb of Elation and Paradise.  They need ships of that size for some ports that can't handle the larger ships:  Mobile, JAX, Tampa, Baltimore... And those two ships are newer than Destiny/Sunshine.  EM

• Like 4

The biggest ships I've been on are NCLs, about 4k pax.   I liked them but it was, at times, crowded especially at popular places. The shows required reservations (which I liked). The biggest I've been on Carnival are Magic and Breeze and they had the same problems. 

I can't fathom being on some of the ships that carry 5k or 6k people, just overwhelming. 

my sweet spot is well under 3k.   I think NCL is ordering ships in that size moving forward, not the behemoths. 

Problem with replacing the Fantasy Class, is that they are just pure profit for Carnival, replace them with new versions, overall cost of cruising goes up, maybe only keep 4 and replace 4; that and as previously stated only certain ports can handle this size and since Carnival doesn't really venture outside of North America with a few exceptions, its not in their best interests to leave those ports. 

For New York, I'd settle for a Dream Class or even a Vista; have yet to try the Fantasy/Spirit/Conquest Class to give an opinion.

• Like 1

I think the Vista Class is done (for Carnival and Costa).  It's history.  Moving forward I think it will be all XL class ships ordered for Carnival, and then what ever comes after that which might be a slightly smaller new design.  

The days of the Spirit Class are also over, for Carnival at least.  You can still sail on a new build of this size on any number of other brands.  

I'm suprised how much hate Fantasy class ships get.  I had nothing but great experiences on them.  And even now, they're the unsung workhorses of Carnival, making up in atmosphere for what they lack in glamour.  Not to mention, having a manageable passenger size, dating back from the times when cramming cabins into every nook and cranny wasn't the norm.  So I were Carnival, I'd order a NeoFantasy class ship: eliminate the Farcus decor, add a wraparound outside deck, put in a shortcut between MDR's on deck 8 (Atlantic), convert a handful of interiors into NCL-style Studios, but keep the small size and the basic layout. And OK, fine, add about 100 cabins to help pay for all those improvements.  I'll leave the giant megaships to RCI.

I'd follow the Fantasy class scheme of naming ships after emotions.  Ideally, I'd want to call it Relation.  (See what I did there? Relation ship?)  But it'd be too similar to Elation.  So perhaps Exhiliration would work equally well.

Edited by LandlockedCruiser01
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

29 minutes ago, canes20 said:

WE love those "rust buckets". To each their own. Sail on the overcrowded, shiny new monsters and we will enjoy the Fantasy class.

It's great these ships still have a following.  Carnival obviously makes good use of them and they are generally short cruise workhorses from various "homeports".  They make a nice inexpensive, relatively no frills cruise option.  

I would like to see a more comprehensive refit when they do them.  Right now it's a mix of leftover Farcus themed decor which is quite dated, and more contemporary lighter decor.  The styles really clash.  I would prefer something more cohesive.

There are a lot of them and even if Carnival wanted to get rid of them, I don't there are enough secondary markets to absorb them.  So I think Carnival is making the best of them and probably making great money off them as well.   

I think it's mostly fine when Carnival constructs big ships from the get-go.  They're optimized for the passenger load they're built for.  Even giants like Mardi Gras (2020).

It becomes a problem when Carnival cannibalizes an existing ship, crams in hundreds of extra cabins into what once was public space, coverts complimentary venues into pay-for venues, and then calls the ship "new".  The ship chassis doesn't change.  You can't just expand the hull of the ship.  All that changes is the interior layout.  So, in that light, a ship carries 4,000 passengers in a space optimized for 3,000.  Many more passengers share the same amount, if not less, public space that fewer passengers once shared.  That's why the Destiny-to-Sunshine conversation was such a trainwreck.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

I think it's mostly fine when Carnival constructs big ships from the get-go.  They're optimized for the passenger load they're built for.  Even giants like Mardi Gras (2020).

It becomes a problem when Carnival cannibalizes an existing ship, crams in hundreds of extra cabins into what once was public space, coverts complimentary venues into pay-for venues, and then calls the ship "new".  The ship chassis doesn't change.  You can't just expand the hull of the ship.  All that changes is the interior layout.  So, in that light, a ship carries 4,000 passengers in a space optimized for 3,000.  Many more passengers share the same amount, if not less, public space that fewer passengers once shared.  That's why the Destiny-to-Sunshine conversation was such a trainwreck.

I'm with you 100%.  In addition things like outdoor deck space and infrastructure features like the number of elevators remain static.  They were initially designed for a smaller number of pax, and must now accommodate hundreds more.  Of course not all refits are created equal.  Some are far better than others.  It's a fine balance.  The cruise line wants to inject life into an older ship and make it economically viable for years to come.  I get that.  But you have to accomplish it without negatively impacting the customer experience too greatly.  New features and amenities are great, but they don't mean much if all anyone remembers is how crowded everything was and waiting in line for everything.  Then the hassle factor negates the goal of a vacation.  

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, LandlockedCruiser01 said:

The Mardi Gras not being a real mega ship will carry over 5000 passengers. I would think it will be very crowded. Booked for Halloween next year. We will see. Already building another one. Beautiful looking ship!

I like all of the ships, but with so many people wanting huge ships, probably anything like the Fantasy class would not be a good idea. If I were Carnival, I would be looking at different amenities, both inclusive and extra cost. I would also, quietly, behind the scenes, be making plans for a 420 friendly ship. Most  likely, sometime in the not so distant future, marijuana will be legal on the federal level. Whatever line is the first to to offer 420 friendly cruises on one or two select ships,will have a huge advantage in bringing in new cruisers. I would like it if Carnival was the one with that advantage, because I am one of those "awful Carnival Cheerleaders." 

Though I have personally never witnessed the violence I read about on this board, that would be a fantastic way to slow it down. And how often do you see  a "stoner" butt in line, or get up early for the purpose of chair hogging? Rarely if ever.

Carnival could also make a killing on the "for cost Munchies " stations. They could even get rid of having to pay for performers in one of the areas that ussually has singers and let the cruisers perform. Because, like they say, put 5 drunks together and they're looking to start a fight. Put 5 stoners together, they're looking to start a band.

By the way, I do not personally use marijuana, but I have seen many lives saved, improved, and much less domestic violence since so many people have turned from alcohol to cannabis.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, twodaywonder said:

The Mardi Gras not being a real mega ship will carry over 5000 passengers. I would think it will be very crowded. Booked for Halloween next year. We will see. Already building another one. Beautiful looking ship!

It's a lot of people that is for sure.  I'm holding out hope.  So much depends on the design.  If it's designed well and disperses people well in different areas, then the crowds can be tolerable.  The Oasis Class with Royal Caribbean does this extraordinarily well.  The ships rarely feel crowded and far less crowded than Carnival's Dream/Vista class even though they are larger with more people.  Royal introduced the neighborhood concept on these ships and it works well.  Carnival has copied that idea for the Mardi Gras.  I hope it's executed just as effectively.  Time will tell.  Royal also built up the infrastructure in various ports (and home ports) to accommodate these monster ships.  They knew if crowds became overwhelming they would be a failure.  Thankfully they feel less crowded than ships half their size.  My embarkation on HARMONY OF THE SEAS was 12 minutes drop off to walking on the ship.  Impressive.  I'm really looking forward to Mardi Gras for a variety of reasons.  I hope it's not a one-hit wonder for me and perhaps will reignite the love for CCL I once had.  

• Like 1