Comped 'Upgrade' - and no email notification -

voljeep

Has this ever happened to you ... and you ONLY found out about it by checking your cruise personalizer ...

and if so ... how were you booked ?

direct with Princess?

Princess PVP?

local TA?

big box TA?

we've gotten an email before from Princess before ( direct booking ) , but it seem like some have posted that

they had no notice until check in ( maybe pre-OM ? )

anyway, just curious as I/we are fully expecting a comp upgrade of some kind on the Sky 12/4 sailing ...:classic_biggrin:

Happened to us on a different cruise line, no notification sent to our TA or us just happened to find out by checking my personal cruise account.  In our case it wasn’t an upgrade tho the cruise line thought so, it was to a higher class cabin but an ADA cabin so missing many of the amenities.  We did not accept and had to be forceful in getting our booked cabin reinstated on arrival in a foreign port.

We've now had our TA note NO upgrades.  We always select the cabin class we want so it’s a moot point, no need to upgrade us.

All bookings are marked “Will accept an upgrade” by default unless you specifically mark it otherwise. Princess normally notifies you but they’re not required to since you’re booking is already marked that you’d accept. If you use a TA to book, the email goes to your TA to send to you. Big box store agencies don’t often forward on the emails. 

I prefer to use a good TA who not only saves me a lot more than booking directly or with a big box agency but she immediately forwards on any upgrade or offer. 

• Like 4

I was upgraded on Royal last summer and Sapphire in May ..... both times to an ADA room.  I've purchased only 1 upsell (Star). On the Royal I found out when checking in. It was not on my personizer when I boarded the plane. On the Sapphire my PVP told me a week ahead of time. The Star offer came about a week out too

Edited to add: question was how do (I) book? With a PVP 

Edited by Ombud

Only had one free upgrade. It was announced in a fanfare-filled email with capital letters and exclamation points: YOU'VE RECEIVED A FREE UPGRADE!!!!!.

All this to be moved down the hall a few doors closer to mid-ship.

Jim

Edited by jasbo49
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

26 minutes ago, sunnytag said:

Just curious.....why do you think you are going to receive a comped upgrade?  Would like to get one for myself. :classic_rolleyes:

positive thinking ... that and my charming personality, of course ...

that and the fact the ship is i'm guessing only 25% sold with a little more than 70 days until sail.  this has been a strange booking from the very start as it was first released as the "inaugural U.S. cruise" ... shown as completely sold out for a long time ... then came back as available with no more than 20% sold rooms..

anyway ... just re-fared today... again ... and will continue to monitor prices ...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

positive thinking ... that and my charming personality, of course ...

that and the fact the ship is i'm guessing only 25% sold with a little more than 70 days until sail.  this has been a strange booking from the very start as it was first released as the "inaugural U.S. cruise" ... shown as completely sold out for a long time ... then came back as available with no more than 20% sold rooms..

anyway ... just re-fared today... again ... and will continue to monitor prices ...

Did you book an inside? If so you have a good chance of an upgrade.  And to your original question, I received an unwanted upgrade without receiving an e-mail or phone call, and I originally booked directly with Princess.

• Thanks 1

Once booked a forward inside on Lido and discovered in my personalizer shortly before sailing that we had been moved to a HC accessible balcony on Caribe. Huge room and balcony. No notice - just saw it on the personalizer one day.

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, 1emerald1 said:

Did you book an inside? If so you have a good chance of an upgrade.

originally ... no ... but switched to our current inside , cat ID, when the sailing was opened back up for bookings and was included in the Getaway promotion ...

i just got an upgrade offer not comped:( move from deluxe balcony to mini suite for $129pp.  i'm not sure there is a lot of benefit for me in this, so i'm passing.  we are 19 days out.  i wonder if i will get a better offer or if they will comp upgrade me.  i'm not against the upgrade, i'm just not feeling it right now

2 minutes ago, patrickmoran said:

I've walked on a cruise, got my cruise card and went to the cabin I had been booked. Card didn't work. Went to Purser desk. I had been assigned a different cabin, an upgrade. Otherwise I've already received an email announcing the cabin change.

We have had comp upgrades with and without an email notification.

We have had them when booked direct with Princess, we have had them when booked with a TA.

(Sam I am)

There is no GTY that one will get an email notification.

As far as your situation.......had you checked your personalizer prior to boarding you would have seen the new cabin assignment.

Years ago, we took an Alaska Land/Cruise trip with a balcony.  The following year we decided to do an Alaska cruise only (my brother-in-law lives in Alaska).  The day before we left New York, I realized that I had only printed a boarding pass for DH, so I quickly ran one off for myself without checking it.  When we reached Seattle, I looked at both boarding passes and realized that we were in two separate rooms.  Oh, no! I thought.  I called Princess and they told me that the room number on my BP was the correct one and that we had been upgraded to a full suite!  No charge.  It was the best cruise we have ever had!

2 hours ago, vampiress said:

i just got an upgrade offer not comped:( move from deluxe balcony to mini suite for $129pp.  i'm not sure there is a lot of benefit for me in this, so i'm passing.  we are 19 days out.  i wonder if i will get a better offer or if they will comp upgrade me.  i'm not against the upgrade, i'm just not feeling it right now

As I understand it, you got an "upsell" offer, not an "upgrade." An upgrade is at no charge to you

• Like 1

5 hours ago, WisCruiser2 said:

As I understand it, you got an "upsell" offer, not an "upgrade." An upgrade is at no charge to you

they called it upgrade more than once in the email. whatever it is called, i didn't accept it.

9-24-2019 10-59-12 PM.png

Edited by vampiress
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

One time we received an upgrade from an inside to an OV that I only discovered when looking at the personalizer. It had been booked through an online TA, though I dealt with him by phone. He says he never got an e-mail from Princess, though they told him it was sent. I ended up not liking the new location and the TA was able to get us out of it. Other times, our TA has e-mailed us about upgrades.

several years ago we got moved from inside to balcony with no notification. I noticed it in cruise personalizer. Score for us.

We were using an agent and they were not notified either.

Only time it has ever happened in 20 plus cruises.

Years ago I took my two daughters on a 15 Day cruise to Hawaii celebrating all our birthdays.  We had the lowest cost Ocean View on the lowest deck in the front of the ship.  The night before we flew out to LA, my oldest daughter called in a panic.  She had printed off her luggage tags and boarding pass and the cabin wasn't the same. ?????  I checked the other two and they were different too.  I looked up the ship decks and the new cabin showed a window suite on an upper deck!😜  Showed up at the port and were whisked away to a suite for 15 days.  The best cruise ever.  I was never notified of the upgrade by phone or email and neither was my TA.  I told her all about it when we got home.  She said she had never seen anyone get upgraded from a OV all the way to a Suite.

I recently booked a cruise in a room with only a window - upon final payment - they changed me to a balcony! Thank you  Princess!

No notification, just noticed the change of room # on the booking as I was looking at the day I made final payment.

• Like 1

On the Sky 12/4, got a email saying we received a upgrade (free) to a higher class mini suite. Up one deck, back two cabins. The email said we had 24 hrs to decline and get our original cabin back. Let it go forward, doubtful that it really is an upgrade. Most likely someone wanted to be next to an adjoining cabin.

• Like 1