Never Say Never

sevenseasnomad

A large group has reserved the entire fixed early seating on the December 29, 2019 Nieuw Statendam cruise.  We're not only on this cruise but the previous week as well.  It doesn't matter that a passenger is 4/5*, NS or PS.  They won't be allowed to dine in the upper dining room during the 1st seating.  We're traveling with someone who has a disability, which impacts the dining experience.  We normally receive a table in a corner, away from traffic and bustle.  On another cruise, on Konginsdam, we tried the downstairs dining, and it didn't work at all.  Too crowded, noisy, not a pleasant experience at all.  I can't believe that our group is considering buying CO, which I said I'd never do; however, it would ease our dilemma.  

I know these boards have flamed over impressions about CO.  I am interested in any direct experience with CO.  Was it worth the extra money in terms of the dining?  For us, that would be the only perk as we're 4*, so we receive priority boarding and tendering etc.  We'd be considering CO strictly for the smaller, quieter dining venue.   

• Like 1

It may be worth CO for the cruise that has such a large group taking up the early fixed seating.  What a shame that has happened.  

The only other way is to ask to reserve early dining downstairs for your cruise when you get on the ship-explain about the disability of your travel friend-they may be able to help out?  

1 hour ago, canadianbear said:

It may be worth CO for the cruise that has such a large group taking up the early fixed seating.  What a shame that has happened.  

The only other way is to ask to reserve early dining downstairs for your cruise when you get on the ship-explain about the disability of your travel friend-they may be able to help out?  

Thanks.  We considered that but determined that the large space with all the noise and busy atmosphere wouldn't work.  We tried this on another cruise, and honestly, it got to the point that we all dreaded going to dinner.  I was hoping someone who has purchased CO on a previous cruise would offer their insights, either positive or negative.

There are a bunch of threads with people expressing their opinions of CO on a Pinnacle-class ship so I am not quite sure what kind of additional information you are looking for.  I believe there are only one or two, though, who actually purchased it but said they would do it again.

I experienced it as part of being in a Neptune Suite and absolutely would do it again.  No reservations are required but you can make them if you like.  We tried various tables and locations and settled on a favorite.  After that it became our table.  We enjoyed the more intimate atmosphere and superb service.  I find the MDR far too loud and open, and the servers quite stressed and impersonal.  Club Orange was completely the opposite.

• Like 2

I think CO is the best answer, especially if someone needs a quiet experience.It's a shame you have to do this just to be able to eat when/how you want. It would be tempting to wait and see what could be done for you on board, but if word gets out about this, a lot of people may go for CO. So you probably should do it now.

Aside from being able to control your dining experience, you will have the best breakfast you've ever had on a HAL ship because it's cooked short-order style right there. And you get mimosas at breakfast.  

Have you bought the two cruises as one booking? In that case you might have to buy CO for both cruises. Call HAL or your TA and see what you can arrange.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

if word gets out about this, a lot of people may go for CO. So you probably should do it now.

This is a very good point.  The other thing I am curious about is how you go about purchasing it in advance.  I have only ever seen it offered closer to a sailing date by email, and not everyone receives an offer.  If it were me I would give HAL a call and ask if it’s purchasable pre-offer.

• Like 1

Hi @sevenseasnomad

If I were in your shoes, I would send HAL director of dining a letter via FAX explaining 

- why we all need to purchase club orange

- could we do it now, as a group, in advance

- could we receive a discount of x% given our reason for needing to do it

Edited by SempreMare

10 minutes ago, SempreMare said:

Hi @sevenseasnomad

If I were in your shoes, I would send HAL director of dining a letter via FAX explaining 

- why we all need to purchase club orange

- could we do it now, as a group, in advance

- could we receive a discount of x% given our reason for needing to do it

That is a great idea !!! I hope they will accommodate quickly.

Denise😊

• Like 1

Thanks everyone.  Yes, we purchased two separate cruises because these two different itineraries were never offered as a Collector's; therefore, we're okay the first week.  It's the second segment of the B2B that presents the problem.  Final payment is Monday.  I am wondering if some of the reserved group will decide not to go, which could possibly open the first seating.  Guess I'll find out for sure Tuesday.

1 hour ago, *Miss G* said:

This is a very good point.  The other thing I am curious about is how you go about purchasing it in advance.  I have only ever seen it offered closer to a sailing date by email, and not everyone receives an offer.  If it were me I would give HAL a call and ask if it’s purchasable pre-offer.

Somewhere in the website it says you can purchase CO after you book by calling HAL. It's the reduced price that comes as an offer. OP might have to pay "rack rate" unless HAL gives them a break because of their need to eat early. 

OP, call on Tuesday and ask if first seating has opened up. If it hasn't, see what you can negotiate about CO. Did you have early fixed confirmed? I know they say it's "requested," but point out that HAL has changed what you thought you were going to get. How many people are in your group? I think CO has only two large tables and IIRC, they're rounds for 6. That was on the K, it could be different on NS, so ask about that, too.

3 hours ago, Caribbean Chris said:

We enjoyed the Nieuw Statendam Club Orange private dining space much more than I expected I would prior to the cruise. The staff could not have been more accommodating.

We had a similar experience with CO on Koningsdam; no complaints whatsoever

8 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Somewhere in the website it says you can purchase CO after you book by calling HAL. It's the reduced price that comes as an offer. OP might have to pay "rack rate" unless HAL gives them a break because of their need to eat early. 

Ohhh, well that makes sense now.  Thank you.

12 hours ago, sevenseasnomad said:

A large group has reserved the entire fixed early seating on the December 29, 2019 Nieuw Statendam cruise...

Do you know what the large group is? Will they affect your cruise in other ways? Should you cancel before your final payment is due Monday?

15 minutes ago, grsnovi said:

I've eaten in the MDR on Koningsdam and I'm trying to imagine what could possibly make me dread going to dinner. Dancing on the tables? Food fights?

Noise. OP said someone in their group has a disability and the noise and bustle would be an issue.

K'dam MDR is noisy. I've had a table by the opening that looks down on the lower level and it was so noisy we could hardly have a conversation. Tip for those who don't like the noise (sorry, sevenseas,  it won't help your situation): there are some tables in the aft corners upstairs that are surprisingly quiet. I was at a 6-top back there and couldn't believe it was the same dining room I'd been in the year before. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Noise. OP said someone in their group has a disability and the noise and bustle would be an issue.

K'dam MDR is noisy. I've had a table by the opening that looks down on the lower level and it was so noisy we could hardly have a conversation. Tip for those who don't like the noise (sorry, sevenseas,  it won't help your situation): there are some tables in the aft corners upstairs that are surprisingly quiet. I was at a 6-top back there and couldn't believe it was the same dining room I'd been in the year before. 

Sorry to hear that about the noise levels.  More times than not, we have a two-top overlooking the lower level and enjoy that very much.  Sorry to hear that those tables are something to avoid on K'dam.

🙁

Thank you so much for all your suggestions and advice.  Yes, I'll call HAL Special Needs and see what advice they can give me.  I can get documentation from a physician if I need to.  

The group is Turning Point Ministries.  Yes, I expect our cruise to be impacted.  It already has with the early fixed dining closed to all passengers except those traveling with this group. 

After we find a solution, I'll report back.  Again, I appreciate the advice, everyone.

• Thanks 1

Thinking about this a little more: I’m wondering if Special Needs Department could set it up so your group could be assigned to a table in a quiet part of CO at no additional charge, (without the full CO) under the circumstances. After all it was HAL contracting out the entire dining room that is setting up the issue, And you have already said as a high star mariner the CO dining room is the only perk you would use. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TiogaCruiser said:

Thinking about this a little more: I’m wondering if Special Needs Department could set it up so your group could be assigned to a table in a quiet part of CO at no additional charge, (without the full CO) under the circumstances. After all it was HAL contracting out the entire dining room that is setting up the issue, And you have already said as a high star mariner the CO dining room is the only perk you would use. 

That's a good idea; remember: if you don't ask, you don't get. 
I would use the phrase "Reasonable accommodation" when talking to Special Needs. 

• Like 2