Thoughts on Long Sailings?

Samanthac25

I’ll start by saying we love cruising but the longest sailing we’ve been on is 7 nights. Im considering the 11 night cruise on Vision of the Seas that leaves on 12/24/2020 for the holidays next year because of the more exotic itinerary (Labadee, Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia, Aruba) and because it’s over both Christmas and New Years. It’s a smaller ship without all the bells and whistles and I travel with my 14 year old (she’ll be 15 at the time of this cruise). We always book inside rooms because we choose to spend the extra money on the fun stuff.... What are your thoughts on longer cruises, especially when staying in an inside room? Does anyone ever get sick of being on a boat that doesn’t have much to do on it after a week? Or am I just worrying for nothing and going to love it regardless? 😜

1 minute ago, Billy Baltic said:

A bad day on a cruise ship is better than any day at work. 

Longest I’ve done is 14 days. That had 6 sea days. Only change I would have made was less sea days. 

So true, I’d definitely rather be on a cruise ship than at work 😆

• Like 4

@Samanthac25 - if you can afford the fare for that cruise*, definitely do it.  Cruising over the holidays is WONDERFUL, and that is a great itinerary.

11 days is a SHORT cruise to me.  I just got home a few minutes ago from a 21 night cruise.  It was glorious.

🙂  🙂 🙂

* holiday cruises are always the most expensive.  One that includes both holidays even more so.  🙂 

• Like 5

We've done b2b on the Adventure,  TAs on Jewel and Serenade, a few 10-11 nts.  Will be doing 34 nts, a b2b around Australia in February.  We love them.  Sitting on my balcony and watching the world go by is so nice.  It's been years since we've done an inside and wouldn't do it again, but to each his own.  There is plenty to do on longer cruises.  Enjoy.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

@Samanthac25 - if you can afford the fare for that cruise*, definitely do it.  Cruising over the holidays is WONDERFUL, and that is a great itinerary.

11 days is a SHORT cruise to me.  I just got home a few minutes ago from a 21 night cruise.  It was glorious.

🙂  🙂 🙂

* holiday cruises are always the most expensive.  One that includes both holidays even more so.  🙂 

Thanks! We are going on our first holiday cruise this year over Christmas. It’s just 7 nights though. I’m so excited for it that I’m already looking to plan another cruise over Christmas next year! I thought the itinerary for the 11 night one was fantastic and was immediately drawn to it. 

5 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

We've done b2b on the Adventure,  TAs on Jewel and Serenade, a few 10-11 nts.  Will be doing 34 nts, a b2b around Australia in February.  We love them.  Sitting on my balcony and watching the world go by is so nice.  It's been years since we've done an inside and wouldn't do it again, but to each his own.  There is plenty to do on longer cruises.  Enjoy.

We booked a balcony once a few years back and it was nice to have. But we never spent any time in the room to enjoy it, except to sleep and shower. So ever since we’ve been booking inside rooms and then spending more on excursions and extras. 

We are doing TA and then the Baltics, same inside cabin all 27 days on Brilliance next May.  Also doing a 25 day TP Vancouver to Tokyo and then to Hong Kong and Singapore same inside cabin next September on Radiance.  Have done 16 and 29 day cruises before, never bored.  About 1,000 of us did 16 days Dubai to Barcelona on Mariner, spent 2 days in Barcelona, and then took Carnival Horizon 14 days from Barcelona to NYC.  Much better than flying.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

We booked a balcony once a few years back and it was nice to have. But we never spent any time in the room to enjoy it, except to sleep and shower. So ever since we’ve been booking inside rooms and then spending more on excursions and extras. 

Things may have changed since we did our inside. I don't think the tv had a bow camera so no idea what was doing outside.  Used to send dh outside to find out the weather!  Might consider a ocean view.  I like to take my shower then sit outside with a cup of tea or glass of wine to relax before the evening activities.   Even sit out there late at night before getting some sleep.  

Also with D+ balcony discount it is not always that much more than an oceanview. 

• Like 1

We now sail only once a year in the first three months and prefer 12-14 day cruises.

Since we no longer want to fly it is becoming more and more difficult to get any longer than 12 nights within our area.

Sea days are no problem along with some motion on the ocean just makes the voyage more memorable.

We love the smaller ships so any size will do since we can find the small ship experience on the bigger ships if we just look.

Last year we had the best itinerary of any cruise we have been on in 20 years, too bad it was on NCL, but that is another story.

14 days from NYC to Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Martinique with a few of the usual Eastern Caribbean ports thrown in. This was a change in the normal ports due to the hurricane dame in the islands..

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, Baron Barracuda said:

Flying has become such a hassle that for us that it's not worth it unless cruise is 12+ days.  Did 15 night repo last year and 23 night PC sailing a couple of years back.  Was never bored.

I love the longer 12-14 day cruises and wish Royal and Celebrity would offer more cruises with a little more variety in the itineraries.

We now almost always cruise from Cape Liberty or Baltimore. Now the 2021 Anthem sailings (during Jan.) are reduced to 11 nights. We do prefer voyages in the first 3 months of the year.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Samanthac25 said:

I’ll start by saying we love cruising but the longest sailing we’ve been on is 7 nights. Im considering the 11 night cruise on Vision of the Seas that leaves on 12/24/2020 for the holidays next year because of the more exotic itinerary (Labadee, Costa Rica, Panama, Columbia, Aruba) and because it’s over both Christmas and New Years. It’s a smaller ship without all the bells and whistles and I travel with my 14 year old (she’ll be 15 at the time of this cruise). We always book inside rooms because we choose to spend the extra money on the fun stuff.... What are your thoughts on longer cruises, especially when staying in an inside room? Does anyone ever get sick of being on a boat that doesn’t have much to do on it after a week? Or am I just worrying for nothing and going to love it regardless? 😜

Were on a 22 night B2B if that helps!  The longer the sailing the more relaxing it is plus with all the cool ports you can't find a better vacation other than at an all inclusive resort.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, boscobeans said:

We now sail only once a year in the first three months and prefer 12-14 day cruises.

Since we no longer want to fly it is becoming more and more difficult to get any longer than 12 nights within our area.

Sea days are no problem along with some motion on the ocean just makes the voyage more memorable.

We love the smaller ships so any size will do since we can find the small ship experience on the bigger ships if we just look.

Last year we had the best itinerary of any cruise we have been on in 20 years, too bad it was on NCL, but that is another story.

14 days from NYC to Aruba, Bonaire, Curacao, Martinique with a few of the usual Eastern Caribbean ports thrown in. This was a change in the normal ports due to the hurricane dame in the islands..

We always fly to Florida for our cruises but are going on Anthem out of the NYC area in April. I’m excited to not have to fly for that one! I just wish Royal caribbean has more itineraries from that port. Your NCL itinerary sounds fantastic! 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Samanthac25 said:

We always fly to Florida for our cruises but are going on Anthem out of the NYC area in April. I’m excited to not have to fly for that one! I just wish Royal caribbean has more itineraries from that port. Your NCL itinerary sounds fantastic! 

There is now quite a variety of ships and itineraries out of Cape Liberty.  Not all at the same time, but:  Anthem, Oasis, Adventure, Vision, Empress just in 2019-2020

Itineraries:  Bahamas, Bermuda, New England/Canada,  various Southern Caribbean, various Eastern Caribbean, varying lengths for each of these.

• Like 3

I have a 14 & 16 y/o who have done 8+ cruises with Royal and we haven't done anything less than 10 nights for years and most on smaller ships. We've done 10, 12 and 14 night itineraries and honestly all they really want is other teens to hang with and never have they wanted it to end. We have done some of the newer/modernized ships and some of the features of the are amazing but we are people who'd rather cruise twice instead of nice. We almost always book interiors for the same reasons you state. Enjoy whatever you decide/book then adjust in the future based on your experience/enjoyment.

Edited by DrewFoundLander
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Samanthac25 said:

Cape Liberty is one of the best terminals that we have sailed from. 

Depending on how you arrive at the terminal the check in takes about 30 seconds if you do the online check in.

Returning they use facial recognition and you practically walk through customs with barely a stop. 

• Like 2