Jamericannn

Does Size Matter? šŸ¤”  

73 members have voted

1. 1. How Do You Like Her?

• Small - Less than 109, 000 tons
    • Mid-Size 110,000 - 144,000 tons
    • Mega - 145,000+ tons

1 minute ago, ducklite said:

Overall it is how it works.Ā  Now if you are comparing the largest to smallest ships on RCCL, NCL, CCL, HAL, etc., you are probably correct.Ā  But comparing the largest mass market ship to lines like Crystal, Silversea, VIking Ocean, Seabourne, etc., you aren't even close.

Ā 

Shouldn't we be comparing apples to apples?Ā  Viking Ocean is a crowded mess compared to a yacht charter.

• Like 1

I prefer smaller ships.Ā  I don't cruise for the theme park experience, I can do that at home.

Ā 

I want polished, personalized service, upscale accommodations, inspired cuisine, interesting itineraries, and no lines.Ā  You won't find all of that on the larger ships--they just can't.Ā  I also want to be able to get into small ports which big ships can't.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ducklite said:

I prefer smaller ships.Ā  I don't cruise for the theme park experience, I can do that at home.

Ā 

I want polished, personalized service, upscale accommodations, inspired cuisine, interesting itineraries, and no lines.Ā  You won't find all of that on the larger ships--they just can't.Ā  I also want to be able to get into small ports which big ships can't.

Ā 

Must be one heck of a home!Ā  Did you buy Neverland?

2 minutes ago, ducklite said:

You weren't specific.Ā Ā 

Ā 

Context.Ā  This was a question asked in the Carnival forum, then was moved here.

Edited by BNBR

Smaller ships go more interesting places and are more flexible when it comes to ports (e.g. tendering) and don't put the same pressure on places compared to the behemouths that dump several thousand people all at once.Ā  The mega-ships are simply bloated floating resorts providing food, entertainment and accommodation that can easily be matched or bettered in land-based accommodation.Ā Ā 

Ā 

If what you want to do is stay on the ship find the biggest one you can.Ā  If what you want to do is go to interesting places without long lines and massive crowds go small.

• Like 3

Size just for size sake would have no bearing on ourĀ choice of ships.Ā  Cruise line (and their target demographics), itinerary, service level, on board venues, entertainment, who we are traveling with (family, friends, alone), etc.,Ā would all be considered as determining factors for ship selection.Ā  Also a factor is how our cruising style has evolved over the 27 years we've been cruising from our early days where we did virtually everything offered on board to our current days where we do very little other than relax on board. As a result, there are a number of different ship sizes or classes that appeal to us.

Ā 

In fact, over our cruising years we have sailed on at least one (and more typically several different)Ā ships in each current ship class with both RCI and Celebrity and have enjoyed each one for different reasons based on the criteria previously mentioned. Now our plan over the coming years will be to also include other lines to expand on our experiences, in particular with different and more unique itineraries.Ā Ship size, while certainly being a resulting factor, will not be a deciding factor in any of those decisions.

Ā Sometimes Iā€™m in the mood for a smallĀ ship, and others in the mood for a large ship. Destination plays a role. If Iā€™mĀ going on a repetitive Caribbean cruise, then I gravitate towardsĀ the newest and largest ship with all the bells and whistles. If Iā€™m going to a new or unique destination, then ship is secondary.Ā 
Ā 

Last year we sailed on the smallish 48,000 ton Empress of the Seas to Cuba and then a few months later we sailed on the 167,000 ton MSC Meraviglia in the Mediterranean. Both were wonderful, memorableĀ cruises in their own way, and the ships couldnā€™t have been more different.
Ā 

Our next Caribbean sailing is on the 99,000 ton Niew Statendam. Yes, there are bigger ships with more bells and whistles suited for a young family like mine sailing the CaribbeanĀ that same week, but I was attracted by the itinerary.Ā Ā Out of 4Ā ports, weā€™ve never been to 3. That was the biggest deciding factor. As mentioned above, in this case,Ā itinerary trumps ship size.Ā 

Edited by Tapi

We have sailed all sizes , but entertainment is a big factor and the smaller ships have limited options. So we like voyager class about 145,000 tons , great ice shows , piano bar, pub with guitar player etc also some nice specialty restaurants. Huge ships like oasis seem to have too many children.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, ducklite said:

Or maybe you've just never sailed on a luxury or luxury lite ship to know better.

Ā 

What does that have to do with the comment you responded to?Ā  Small boring "luxury" ships don't appeal to me in any way, shape, or form.Ā  I can sit outside at my own home and read a book.Ā  I want entertainment and things to do.Ā  But apparently, you live at a theme park so I can see why that may not appeal to you.

• Like 1

Like Ducklite, I have no desire to sail on a floating theme park with a Las Vegas atmosphere, going with 5000 other folks.Ā  I can go to Las Vegas itself if I want and have a much nicer experience.Ā  Or to an amusement park without everyone waiting for "lobster night".

Ā 

My cruises are refined experiences with top-notch personal service.Ā  No blaring PA announcements, no silly pool contests, and no lines.

Ā 

Ā 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, DarrenM said:

edge was 131k tonnes when I got on board.

Ā 

It was at least 1 tonne heavier just before I disembarked.

Gross Tonnage has nothing to do with weight, that is displacement.

Ā 

Gross tonnage is a measure of the volume of total enclosed space, it includes revenue (passenger) and non-revenue (crew & working) spaces.

16 hours ago, BNBR said:

Ā 

That's not actually how it works.Ā  The biggest ships in the world have more space and some of the best passenger to space ratios at sea. And are absolutely loaded with open, spacious, non revenue areas.

Might be true for maintream line mega ships, but is not applicable to the real small ships of luxury/premium lines.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FlyerTalker said:

Like Ducklite, I have no desire to sail on a floating theme park with a Las Vegas atmosphere, going with 5000 other folks.Ā  I can go to Las Vegas itself if I want and have a much nicer experience.Ā  Or to an amusement park without everyone waiting for "lobster night".

Ā 

My cruises are refined experiences with top-notch personal service.Ā  No blaring PA announcements, no silly pool contests, and no lines.

Ā 

Ā 

One other consideration: Ā your Ā 600 to 1,000 shipmates will probablyĀ have similar attitudes/tastes, likely Ā making interaction more interesting. Ā 

• Like 2

One of my favourite cruises was on the Oasis.Ā  We heard a lot of negative comments before we sailed but I just wanted to try it.Ā  I loved it.Ā  It never felt crowded because it was so huge - people spread out.Ā  I loved the "New York Neighbourhoods" theme.Ā  Several times I sat in "Central Park" and all I could hear were the birds chirping in the trees.Ā  Loved the choice of restaurants and entertainment - and they had the fastest elevators!Ā  When I'm washing dishes at the sink and I start to cruise-dream - I always dream about another cruise on the Oasis.

• Like 1

I like theme parks. I go to Disneyland every few years, and thoroughly enjoy it.

I like Vegas style shows. I go to Vegas every so often, and thoroughly enjoy that.

Ā 

I don't want those experiences when I travel abroad. I want interesting places with great guides and good lectures. And, I very rarely repeat an itinerary. There are too many places I haven't explored yet.

• Like 4

25 minutes ago, Winnigirl said:

One of my favourite cruises was on the Oasis.Ā  We heard a lot of negative comments before we sailed but I just wanted to try it.Ā  I loved it.Ā  It never felt crowded because it was so huge - people spread out.Ā  I loved the "New York Neighbourhoods" theme.Ā  Several times I sat in "Central Park" and all I could hear were the birds chirping in the trees.Ā  Loved the choice of restaurants and entertainment - and they had the fastest elevators!Ā  When I'm washing dishes at the sink and I start to cruise-dream - I always dream about another cruise on the Oasis.

Totally agree with everything you said , now if it had about a thousand less children.

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Gross Tonnage has nothing to do with weight, that is displacement.

Ā 

Gross tonnage is a measure of the volume of total enclosed space, it includes revenue (passenger) and non-revenue (crew & working) spaces.

Ā 

DarrenM was just making a joke.Ā 

1 hour ago, Winnigirl said:

Ā 

Well just to clarify, "Central Park" is the only NY neighborhood theme.Ā  Boardwalk and The Royal Promenade are their own theme. (The Royal Promenade also appears on Voyager and Freedom Class ships, and first appeared on Voyager Class).

Ā 

Oasis is also the first Oasis class ship with RCI - there are now four total - Oasis, Allure, Harmony, and SymphonyĀ (and a fifth coming).Ā  Symphony of the Seas is the newest and is well worth trying as well as it has some enhancements and different restaurant venues since Oasis was launched in 2008.

Ā 

But Central Park is unique and very relaxing, and agree that Oasis class ships - even with over 6,000 passengers - is less crowded in most venues than many smaller ships with less passengers.

Edited by leaveitallbehind
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, ducklite said:

Ā 

Ā 

3 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

Ā 

2 hours ago, navybankerteacher said:

One other consideration: Ā your Ā 600 to 1,000 shipmates will probablyĀ have similar attitudes/tastes, likely Ā making interaction more interesting. Ā 

Ā 

I'm cheap and I've been that way as long as I can remember but as I have hit my mid fifties I'm starting to prefer the more refined experience and the thought of going on one of those megaship/amusement park/ sardine cans sends shivers up and downĀ  my spine.

Ā 

Of course knowing me, if a really great deal came up on a megaship I'd tuck my refinedness back into my wallet and slum it with the plebeians for a week.Ā Ā šŸ˜‰

Edited by DirtyDawg

1 hour ago, Aquahound said:

Ā 

DarrenM was just making a joke.Ā 

Ā 

Hmm, tough crowd today. Ā I hope DarrenM doesn't feel displaced, but then again, these are weighty matters. Ā šŸ˜šŸ˜

• Like 2
  • Haha 2