Symphony delayed boarding - will be a nightmare?

Mark_UK

Just received an email saying boarding for my upcoming Symphony cruise is going to be delayed until after 1pm. 5,000 people in 2.5 hours sounds like it's going to be a bit chaotic!

We have 'The Key' booked - any ideas what they might do for the lunch? I understand it's usually only available until 1.30...?

Dear Guest,

We would like to provide you with important information for your upcoming Symphony of the Seas cruise departing on October 26th, 2019. The U.S. Coast Guard will be conducting a mandatory routine inspection onboard before boarding process may begin. As a result, check-in for your cruise will now take place between 1:00 PM – 3:30 PM.

If you’ve already completed your check-in online, and it was scheduled between 12:00 PM - 1:00 PM, please arrive to the cruise terminal after 1:00 PM.

If you haven’t done so already, download the Royal Caribbean International App. It’s free on the App Store or the Play Store! Then check in through the app or online at www.royalcaribbean.com/onlinecheckin.  Once checked-in, save your SetSail Pass to your mobile device or print it out for everyone in your party. You can do this up to 72-hours prior to your sailing. As seating in the terminal is very limited, we kindly ask guests to arrive to the cruise terminal after 1:00 PM.

We thank you for your time and cooperation and look forward to welcoming you onboard Symphony of the Seas next Saturday!

Sincerely,

Royal Caribbean International

You will also depart at a later time. Don't forget a mandatory muster drill must also take place. Sail Away will probably not happen until closer to 6PM. But good news is probably no delay in going to cabin on boarding.  CC inspection doesn't delay house keeping activities.

Got the same email for our Anthem boarding tomorrow.  We were scheduled for 10-10:30 and told to come at 11:30 am.  They plan on completing boarding by 3 pm so 4 pm sailing likely.   We had already scheduled our Uber from our hotel so we'll go and wait.

Thanks everyone, that's some reassurance. Any idea what they might do about The Key lunch? If I'm not able to board until 2 or 3 it might be a bit pointless.

I appreciate it isn't much but it's one of the reasons we got The Key, to have a more relaxed boarding, hand over our bags and have a nice specialty lunch (we've only ever eaten in the MDR). Now I feel quite the opposite - anxious about what will happen!

2 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Thanks everyone, that's some reassurance. Any idea what they might do about The Key lunch? If I'm not able to board until 2 or 3 it might be a bit pointless.

I appreciate it isn't much but it's one of the reasons we got The Key, to have a more relaxed boarding, hand over our bags and have a nice specialty lunch (we've only ever eaten in the MDR). Now I feel quite the opposite - anxious about what will happen!

I would expect them to accommodate the Key people for a late lunch.

14 hours ago, njkruzer said:

Got the same email for our Anthem boarding tomorrow.  We were scheduled for 10-10:30 and told to come at 11:30 am.  They plan on completing boarding by 3 pm so 4 pm sailing likely.   We had already scheduled our Uber from our hotel so we'll go and wait.

i didn't know it was possible to schedule uber. i thought you just had to request when ready. how do you schedule?

22 minutes ago, nalatrixie74 said:

i didn't know it was possible to schedule uber. i thought you just had to request when ready. how do you schedule?

First time using Uber.  Opened app and followed instructions.  Picked date and time.  Got an email confirmation.  We'll see.

Looked at app and I had pushed "schedule ".  

Edited by njkruzer
Added info
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, nalatrixie74 said:

31 minutes ago, njkruzer said:

First time using Uber.  Opened app and followed instructions.  Picked date and time.  Got an email confirmation.  We'll see.

Looked at app and I had pushed "schedule ".  

Yes, it's just an option.  (relatively recent)

5 hours ago, Mark_UK said:

Waiting until 3 pm is your choice. There will be lots of people coming from flights that will be at the terminal at their normal 10:30 am time. If you show up earlier, than later, Key passengers will have a waiting area in the terminal. And will be boarded early. (Suites have a separate room and will be boarded first).  

We had the Coast Guard inspection on Harmony last week when we boarded. Got the same email. We went with our original plan of arriving at the terminal at 10:00. Well guess what? We were on board by 11 a.m.! Go with your plan and enjoy!

37 minutes ago, blueridgemama said:

You should be able to get your Key lunch on another day if the restaurant is not open when you get on board.

The only challenge with that is restaurants on Symphony only open for lunch on sea days.

On my recent Symphony sailing, we also had an inspection going on. However, boarding remained the same. We just left the terminal closer to 7 PM, instead of 4:30 PM.