Some encouraging news for me related to HAL entertainment

rkacruiser

Cantare, a quintet of male pop vocalists who were featured during the introduction of Nieuw Amsterdam, are returning to HAL's programming according to a report I stumbled across on Yahoo Finance when I checked the CCL price for today.  Two programs are planned:  "Classics" about  timeless songs of every era and "I'm your Man" songs of the most popular male artists of all time.

Why is this encouraging to me?  I was aboard Nieuw Amsterdam during her first year in service in the Caribbean.  The Cantare group that was aboard then was the one that performed during the ship's dedication ceremony.  (It's on You Tube if you care to search for it.)  That performance by this group was the most enjoyable and the BEST that I have ever observed by such a group on any ship.

• Like 5

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Cantare, a quintet of male pop vocalists who were featured during the introduction of Nieuw Amsterdam, are returning to HAL's programming according to a report I stumbled across on Yahoo Finance when I checked the CCL price for today.  Two programs are planned:  "Classics" about  timeless songs of every era and "I'm your Man" songs of the most popular male artists of all time.

Why is this encouraging to me?  I was aboard Nieuw Amsterdam during her first year in service in the Caribbean.  The Cantare group that was aboard then was the one that performed during the ship's dedication ceremony.  (It's on You Tube if you care to search for it.)  That performance by this group was the most enjoyable and the BEST that I have ever observed by such a group on any ship.

Well some good news for once about the entertainment.   Hope there is more good news forthcoming.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, bcummin said:

While this is sort of good news, it does not indicate on what ships this new entertainment is on.

Never having been on HAL yet,  I have come to realize that the different ships all have different venues. We are sailing ion Rotterdam and it does not have the same venues as the newer ships so am presuming that this new "approach to entertainment" will not be on Rotterdam?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, pete_coach said:

While this is sort of good news, it does not indicate on what ships this new entertainment is on.

Never having been on HAL yet,  I have come to realize that the different ships all have different venues. We are sailing ion Rotterdam and it does not have the same venues as the newer ships so am presuming that this new "approach to entertainment" will not be on Rotterdam?

Every HAL ship has some kind of "mainstage" theater/showroom. So it's possible that one of these groups could be on your cruise. The groups will "tour" HAL, which means they aren't on every ship and every cruise. So it's a matter of luck if you get one you like. I've seen the dance group, and I'm really hoping to see PMJ or Cantare on my next group. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, pete_coach said:

Only time will tell.  What I see is that after cutting back on entertainment, HAL seems to realize that entertainment is indeed important.  Thank you, rkacruiser, for noticing this.

We loved the Rotterdam.  Twice.  We have loved each of the smaller HAL ships that we have sailed on.

No interest in the newer huge ships.

Hopefully you will enjoy your cruise on the good ship Rotterdam.

Barbara

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Actually on the Rotterdam last month and yes, Post Modern Jukebox and Step One Dance Company were there.  Totally enjoyed them. 

Edited by ksqueak
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 hours ago, bcummin said:

Thanks for finding this article, Barbara.  The projected programming for PMJ sounds enticing as well as Cantare.  The description of what the Step One Dance Company's programs will be sounds better than what I experienced on Nieuw Statendam in January.  I was so very disappointed in the much bally-hood "theater in the round" concept with the 270 degree screen that was, in my opinion, poorly used.  Maybe the Entertainment Department staff have learned how to best use the advanced technical aspects of the Main Stage showrooms.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, pete_coach said:

Right!  which ships?  We are on the Veendam in February and I am hopeful that the entertainment is better this year than last year on the Eurodam.  They an keep the Post Modern Jukebox, not my thing and we missed the broadway type shows with singers and dancers.  Our comedian was so so.  Hopeful for Feb 5th, but honestly it's a girls get away and we just want the sand and the sea and relaxation!

PMJ was on our April 2019 April Oosterdam cruise for two shows.  While I appreciated the second show more than the first performance (because I knew all the songs in the 2nd show, 1st show very few of the songs were familiar), a lot of the audience walked out which I thought was rude.  We were traveling in a group of five, and two in our group hated the first show to the point they refused to go to the second show, and one of us loved it so much, she wanted more and more.  I thought it was okay.  Would I want to see it again?  Probably not.  I'd go if I were traveling with people who hadn't seen it, or if I had nothing else to do that evening.

I went to youtube.com and listened to Cantare on Nieuw Amsterdam.  Very nice.  I know I would love this type of performance.

Last Christmas on Nieuw Statendam, we saw the dance troupe and enjoyed those performances, which some people didn't appreciate.  That's fine.  If we all had the same preferences, what a dull world this would be!  To each his own.

I'm excited to see that Lincoln Center Stage and Billboard Onboard will now be available on Zaandam and Volendam, two ships we're currently booked on for next year.  We'll wait and see if any of the new entertainment shows up on our cruises.

8 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

a lot of the audience walked out which I thought was rude. 

So, someone is required to stay for a whole show if they really don't like it?  I don't think so.  We've left the show for some of the individual singers in the past that we didn't like.

I think the audience leaving during a performance would speak volumes to HAL as to whether that show should continue.

• Haha 1

Yes, people are free to stay or go as they desire; however, these people did not go silently into that good night.  They were noisy.  A woman in our row (not any of our group) who was sitting down from us demanded that everyone stand so she could exit.  This caused the people behind us to complain that they couldn't hear or see.  When she arrived at the aisle and realized her husband hadn't followed her, she started yelling at him to come.  The poor guy finally gave in.  Most people in our section missed that portion of the show due to this couple.  Others also were not discreet about leaving.  It was as though they were taking out their frustration on the rest of us and on the cast.  That's why I said they were rude, IMO.

I don't care if anyone leaves, but shouldn't they exit in a fashion that doesn't disturb others?

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, sevenseasnomad said:

Yes, people are free to stay or go as they desire; however, these people did not go silently into that good night.  They were noisy.  A woman in our row (not any of our group) who was sitting down from us demanded that everyone stand so she could exit.  This caused the people behind us to complain that they couldn't hear or see.  When she arrived at the aisle and realized her husband hadn't followed her, she started yelling at him to come.  The poor guy finally gave in.  Most people in our section missed that portion of the show due to this couple.  Others also were not discreet about leaving.  It was as though they were taking out their frustration on the rest of us and on the cast.  That's why I said they were rude, IMO.

I don't care if anyone leaves, but shouldn't they exit in a fashion that doesn't disturb others?

Some people are just speshul and the rest of us don't matter.

If I have any doubts about a performance I try to sit at the back and near the end of a row so I can escape if I'm not happy with the show.

• Like 4

PMJ was on my two recent Zuiderdam cruises ending yesterday. Everyone I talked to hated them as entertainment. I walked  out after 5 minutes, but I was just standing at rear of Mainstage area.  On my surveys after both cruises I let HAL know I was displeased with the group.

Edited by cruzn single

12 hours ago, cruzn single said:

PMJ was on my two recent Zuiderdam cruises ending yesterday. Everyone I talked to hated them as entertainment. I walked  out after 5 minutes, but I was just standing at rear of Mainstage area.  On my surveys after both cruises I let HAL know I was displeased with the group.

We were also on Zuiderdam ending on Oct 30th and I agree 100%. The Mainstage shows were a shadow of their former self. First off, the Mainstage was dark (no show) on the first night when everyone is ready for a great start to their trip. PMJ played 3 nights and the first two were the same set! (that's why many people walked out).

14 hours ago, cruzn single said:

Why did people "hate" them, and why were you displeased with them?

Never seen PMJ in person but have enjoyed some of their YouTube material. Is it a case of people not knowing what to expect?  A mismatch in terms of their personal likes?  Or was the group itself bad (e.g., not talented)?

On 10/24/2019 at 5:27 PM, Shmoo here said:

We've left the show for some of the individual singers in the past that we didn't like.

I think the audience leaving during a performance would speak volumes to HAL as to whether that show should continue.

DW and I have walked out of several shows.

Funny thing...thinking back to the shows we've walked out of; they were all on HAL.  🙄