Passing time in the Fort Lauderdale airport

cruiselvr04

We had planned a day use room in Fort Lauderdale post cruise next month but we moved our flight up 3 hours and it won’t be worth it now.  I know we can’t check in our bags until 3 hours prior to our flight.  That leave about 3 hours outside of security.  Is there anywhere to sit, eat, relax outside of security?  I only know of the one place right by baggage claim.  Is that it?

We considered renting a car but for about 4 hours that doesn’t seem worth it either as it’s a hassle and excursions are available but at over $65 pp isn’t worth it either. 

Go somewhere fun with your bags and have brunch and people watch.  Go down on the beach, plenty of restaurants and things to see.

Don't sit in the airport.  I can't think of anything worse.  There is literally nowhere to sit with your bags before you can check them.

• Like 1

You can pay to store your bags at FLL and then you are free to explore - ride the water taxi, boozy brunch, etc.  Do not sit at FLL for hours and be bored and miserable - not a fun way to finish your vacation.

• Like 2

Some cruise lines offer a luggage service where you allow your bags to be directly taken from your ship to the airport to be placed upon on your flight and then appear at the baggage carousel at your home airport.  If such a service is available:  use it!

That gives you an opportunity to experience Fort Lauderdale as JohninDC suggests.  Otherwise, I suggest that you consider buying a day pass for your airline's Club at FLL, if available.  Beverages, food, TVs, newspapers/magazines, clean and well supplied restrooms are available, comfortable seating, and airline staff are available to help with any "issues" that arise with your flight.  

• Like 1

22 hours ago, iancal said:

So agree. FLL is a dump of an airport.

7 hours ago, Roz said:

FLL and Newark rank as my 2 least favorite airports.  Hot, crowded, nowhere to sit, nowhere decent to eat, long lines, etc. 

More reasons to buy a day pass to an airline lounge if possible to do so.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

More reasons to buy a day pass to an airline lounge if possible to do so.

Not in FLL it isn't...I walked in and out of the DL Sky Lounge on October 23rd...crowded...no seating at all...you would have not gotten your $$ worth at all in the lounge...very unimpressed compared to the other Sky Lounges I've been in.

• Like 1

On 11/2/2019 at 10:07 AM, Roz said:

FLL and Newark rank as my 2 least favorite airports.  Hot, crowded, nowhere to sit, nowhere decent to eat, long lines, etc. 

I used to think La Guardia was bad, but FLL is the PITS!

We used to live there and tried not to linger 🙄.  

• Like 1

On 10/30/2019 at 3:04 AM, Ashland said:

Eeeekk...I just spent 2 hours at FLL...one of my least favorite airports !!!! Checked our rental in at noon for a 2:00pm flight.

It might depend on which terminal you're in. T1 was recently renovated so it doesn't feel as old and musty as it did before. Haven't done T2 in quite some time so I can't comment there.

15 hours ago, Judyrem said:

I used to think La Guardia was bad, but FLL is the PITS!

We used to live there and tried not to linger 🙄.  

I got delayed for over 4 hours once in LGA after a company conference. Not one of my more enjoyable layovers.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BlueHerons said:

Terminal 1 isn't bad in FLL but after you get through security.  There is a Margaritaville and a Roccos Tacos.

T2 is awful.  It just has a terrible pizza place/restaurant, a Starbucks and a Bagel kiosk.

On ‎11‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 10:29 PM, Gypsy2 said:

Once through security can you go to a different terminal to eat?

I fly SW out of FLL, and in the terminal they use, you can't do that.  The terminals aren't connected.  You're basically a prisoner.  

Edited by Roz

On 11/5/2019 at 10:50 AM, BlueHerons said:

Terminal 1 isn't bad in FLL but after you get through security.  There is a Margaritaville and a Roccos Tacos.

Is Rocco's open?  I was there last month and it didn't look even close to opening.

1 hour ago, Roz said:

I fly SW out of FLL, and in the terminal they use, you can't do that.  The terminals aren't connected.  You're basically a prisoner.  

The airport is currently in the process of building connecting pathways between terminals after security, for what that's worth.  This is coming pretty soon.

They are adding a lot more restaurants and connecting it all.  Taking time but at least they are actively improving the airport.

By the way, the Southwest terminal has 15+ dining options.

Edited by BNBR

On 11/2/2019 at 10:07 AM, Roz said:

When is the last time you have been to Newark?  We thought it was great.  They have the restaurants all over with the tablets.  Just sit down and order food and drinks and it shows up.  When done, just pay on the tablet and leave.  Tons of seating and food options.  This was done years ago to a ton of praise for the food options.

Edited by BNBR
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, BNBR said:

By the way, the Southwest terminal has 15+ dining options.

I couldn't find them.  Are you counting things like Dunkin' Donuts?  There was only one sit down place, so if you bought something like pizza or burger, there was nowhere to sit to eat it.  

19 minutes ago, BNBR said:

When is the last time you have been to Newark?  We thought it was great.  They have the restaurants all over with the tablets.  Just sit down and order food and drinks and it shows up.  When done, just pay on the tablet and leave.  Tons of seating and food options.  This was done years ago to a ton of praise for the food options.

I was at Newark when I flew back from Switzerland last year.  Missed my connecting flight and had to stay overnight.  Next morning I checked in with United and then had to take some type of train to another terminal.  My flight was at 5:40 am so I was in the commuter terminal at 5 am.  A few fast food type places open, none served coffee.  Unbelievable.  Coffee not available until 6 am.  I got some because there was some security issue with our plane and we were delayed.  What I experienced was nothing like you described above.