Animals in dining areas?

slavaret

29 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I don't want to be pedantic about this, I am not asking to make the call, I am simply asking to have some protections afforded to other passengers.  Canada has managed to come up with a certification.  I think the US could come up with one too. 

Bolding is mine.  

Really?  What certification ? - you can go on line and tick yes and get a certification.  Look here - https://www.servicedogscanada.org/certification/

You don’t think people lie? Of course what do I know?  I’m just live here in Canada 😉 and am a past board member of the N.B. SPCA and president of the local SPCA’s.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, kazu said:

Bolding is mine.  

Really?  What certification ? - you can go on line and tick yes and get a certification.  Look here - https://www.servicedogscanada.org/certification/

You don’t think people lie? Of course what do I know?  I’m just live here in Canada 😉 

Too bad, it has the right intention but there really needs to be a testing, just like a driving test. At least if you want to take them into public buildings that don't necessarily allow pets.  

Edited by Mary229

33 minutes ago, Mary229 said:

I don't want to be pedantic about this, I am not asking to make the call, I am simply asking to have some protections afforded to other passengers.  Canada has managed to come up with a certification.  I think the US could come up with one too. 

I agree. We just signed a petition for our organization, Canine Companions for Independence against fake service dogs. They are working hard to change the laws. We would welcome a federal registry. Not all dogs dressed up are fake. Ours has his tux for gala nights. 

IMG_20190916_200348.jpg

• Like 6

Just now, rangeley said:

I agree. We just signed a petition for our organization, Canine Companions for Independence against fake service dogs. They are working hard to change the laws. We would welcome a federal registry. Not all dogs dressed up are fake. Ours has his tux for gala nights. 

IMG_20190916_200348.jpg

Cute.  I was not the one who said anything about judging a dog by its cover.

Just now, Mary229 said:

Too bad, it has the right intention but there really needs to be a testing, just like a driving test. 

Of course there does.

Seeing eye dogs and other certain guide dogs do go through rigorous training as do their future owners.  It’s key.  Not every dog or owner is approved.  They both have to be up to the challenge. And those dogs are certified.

But not all are certified as you can see from that website.

I’ve seen true service animals at work and they are a gem.  My lab was NOT a service animal but he was a rep for the SPCA when we were fundraising and nothing would distract him despite elevators, escalators, people etc.  He was well trained but I would NEVER have called him a service animal even though he went to hospitals, nursing homes and helped us raise money.  (Sure you can give him a cookie if you want to make a donation - LOL 😉 No wonder he liked to help us raise money 😉 ). 

I would never have called him a service dog nor gotten a certification for him (I could have as he would have passed all the tests) as he was not.

Frankly, I’d rather my dogs stayed at their home away from home enjoying their long walks in the country side and their equine views (they love horses) than drag them on a cruise ship limiting them to a tiny patch of grass and short walks.  They are working dogs and need to be exercised properly.  A cruise doesn’t cut it.  Neither they nor I need the stress.  You’ll never see my dogs on a cruise.  I personally think it is cruel UNLESS it is a service animal which is trained for different environments.

• Like 5

1 minute ago, kazu said:

Of course there does.

.  I personally think it is cruel UNLESS it is a service animal which is trained for different environments.

That is always the problem with animals, durn, it is the problem with people too.  Get them out of their normal environment - how will they react.  Trained service dogs are trained for crowding and unpredictable circumstances.

2 minutes ago, kazu said:

Of course there does.

Seeing eye dogs and other certain guide dogs do go through rigorous training as do their future owners.  It’s key.  Not every dog or owner is approved.  They both have to be up to the challenge. And those dogs are certified.

But not all are certified as you can see from that website.

I’ve seen true service animals at work and they are a gem.  My lab was NOT a service animal but he was a rep for the SPCA when we were fundraising and nothing would distract him despite elevators, escalators, people etc.  He was well trained but I would NEVER have called him a service animal even though he went to hospitals, nursing homes and helped us raise money.  (Sure you can give him a cookie if you want to make a donation - LOL 😉 No wonder he liked to help us raise money 😉 ). 

I would never have called him a service dog nor gotten a certification for him (I could have as he would have passed all the tests) as he was not.

Frankly, I’d rather my dogs stayed at their home away from home enjoying their long walks in the country side and their equine views (they love horses) than drag them on a cruise ship limiting them to a tiny patch of grass and short walks.  They are working dogs and need to be exercised properly.  A cruise doesn’t cut it.  Neither they nor I need the stress.  You’ll never see my dogs on a cruise.  I personally think it is cruel UNLESS it is a service animal which is trained for different environments.

Our dogs are trained for 2 years. We had to spend 2 weeks training with him. There is written tests as well as public access tests. Once you get the dog you need to go back in 6 months and then again after a year for testing. Then its every 3 years after that. 

You are right, our dogs are trained to be in many situations. Our dog was actually trained on Staten Island. He took the ferry and the subway every day. He's incredibly mellow and relaxed in any situation. He absolutely loves cruising and meeting new people. He will get plenty of exercise whether its a walk around the promenade deck or a park off the ship. And on sea days theres always an empty room on the ship he can play in. 

• Like 1

What about people on board who are allergic to certain pet hair?  Dogs, cats?  Nothing to do with how well trained the animal is.

Saw a lady in distress a few years ago on a plane.  Why?  Person in front of her had one of those silly cases with an animal of some sort inside.  Fortunately many airlines have put an end to this silliness.

• Like 1

We currently have a dog that has retired from being a guide dog for the blind and love her dearly.  She is highly socialized, well behaved, and remarkable in public.  Despite all of that, she is retired and is now a pet.  I would not undermine the legitimate service dog organizations by presenting her as anything but a pet.  When we cruise, she stays with a friend who spoils her immensely. 

Blame the US government for creating a system that can be so easily exploited.  Businesses are not permitted to question illegitimate credentials under the threat of significant fines and penalties.  Consequently, responsible service dog organizations and their clients are subject to the scorn of others because some despicable person's fake credentialed dog ran barking up and down the corridors, pooped in the airplane aisle, or bit someone.  People using fake credentials should be subject to heavy penalties and people who issue fake credentials should be jailed.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, iancal said:

What about people on board who are allergic to certain pet hair?  Dogs, cats?  Nothing to do with how well trained the animal is.

Saw a lady in distress a few years ago on a plane.  Why?  Person in front of her had one of those silly cases with an animal of some sort inside.  Fortunately many airlines have put an end to this silliness.

What airline are you flying?

I know the one we have to use to get out of here has a special section for legitimate guide dogs.  That seems to solve the problem. And some cargo holds are way too cold to put a dog/any animal in.  Only certain ones can take animals safely.

The hotels I am staying at next year have a pet free floor (they do allow legit service dogs) but they have floor(s) where they are not allowed so that the guests who have allergies need not worry.

How do you want a blind person to get down the aisle? We have to be sensitive to those with issues - whether it’s allergies or a serious disability.  There’s a happy medium that can make everyone comfortable I think (and hope).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I have a service dog, but will not be bring him with me.  As a 17 hour flight and the high heat is not good  for him.  So my husband will have to do, he is nowhere as good as my dog.  I have a smooth coated labradoodle which does not effect people  allergies.

Cannot remember the airline but pretty sure it was in Canada.  A few years ago.  All I remember is seeing he start sneezing, turning red.  Next thing I know the flight attendants are all over her.  She appeared to have trouble breathing.  They moved her immediately into the front of the plane.

I have no issue with guide dogs.  I simply see this entire issue of care animals getting out of hand.

Here is the issue.  The dog or cat may be required but what about other people's rights.  Why should someone who is extremely allergic to certain animals be subject to this.  Do they not have the same rights as someone who travels with one of these animals?  I am primarily referring to closed environments from which there may be no easy alternative.   I was very pleased to see many airlines banning 'pets in a bag' in the main cabin.   In the instance that I saw it was not a seeing eye dog.  It was either a cat or one of those silly foo foo dogs.  If it had be my choice I would have jetisoned the bag out the door...cat, foo foo dog or whatever!  

We loved our border collie and our springer spaniel.  But we were never so foolish as to believe that they were human and should travel with us, and in the manner that we did.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 1

If you have allergies severe enough to cause that type of reaction, then you should be prepared for that eventuality.  

Most airlines have not stopped allowing pets to travel in plane cabins.  There are policies that restrict the size & type of animal allowed & there is usually a fee involved.  So, if you see a pet dog on a plane, that is not someone "scamming the system" unless they've represented that their pet is a service animal in order to get around the size limits or the fee.

I don't know about other countries and their rules. But, in the US, the ADA basically gives the service animal priority over someone with an allergy.  

From the ADA book:

• Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals. When a person who is allergic to dog dander and a person who uses a service animal must spend time in the same room or facility, for example, in a school classroom or at a homeless shelter, they both should be accommodated by assigning them, if possible, to different locations within the room or different rooms in the facility.

30 minutes ago, slidergirl said:

I don't know about other countries and their rules. But, in the US, the ADA basically gives the service animal priority over someone with an allergy.  

From the ADA book:

• Allergies and fear of dogs are not valid reasons for denying access or refusing service to people using service animals. When a person who is allergic to dog dander and a person who uses a service animal must spend time in the same room or facility, for example, in a school classroom or at a homeless shelter, they both should be accommodated by assigning them, if possible, to different locations within the room or different rooms in the facility.

How is priority determined in the case of an airplane?

I've heard that the "allergic person" is the one who must be "re-accommodated" on a later flight.

GC

9 hours ago, kazu said:

Bolding is mine.  

You don’t think people lie? Of course what do I know?  I’m just live here in Canada 😉 and am a past board member of the N.B. SPCA and president of the local SPCA’s.

FYI - There is no Canada wide certification for service dogs.  British Columbia does a have a provincial certification.  The link you mentioned does not provide acceptable certification for a service dog anywhere in Canada!

This topic really plucks my last nerve. Maybe I am jealous because we see it every cruise. Writing this thinking I should check myself?  Why did I have to sit next to a party in the Pinnacle with an adorable young 8lb little white dog being carried around for the cruise and sitting on the brocade booth being hand fed steak? Why was I not feeding my own pampered princesses from the Pinnacle on vacation like I do at home? Maybe I need to make them emotional support animals and take them along because I feel too much guilt, costs for a pet sitter, and it causes me stress when I travel?  NOPE. Instead I pay $50.00 per day (yep it's California) to a perfect dog sitter that stays at the house to cater to our aging goddesses in our absence because it's the right considerate thing to do for all.  We do have the real deal trained , cert service military girl (90 lbs) and one little that thinks she's the boss at home and never in a million years would I think of subjecting them or passengers to the confined environment of a cruise no matter how well trained.           

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Crusinsusan2 said:

This topic really plucks my last nerve. Maybe I am jealous because we see it every cruise. Writing this thinking I should check myself?  Why did I have to sit next to a party in the Pinnacle with an adorable young 8lb little white dog being carried around for the cruise and sitting on the brocade booth being hand fed steak? Why was I not feeding my own pampered princesses from the Pinnacle on vacation like I do at home? Maybe I need to make them emotional support animals and take them along because I feel too much guilt, costs for a pet sitter, and it causes me stress when I travel?  NOPE. Instead I pay $50.00 per day (yep it's California) to a perfect dog sitter that stays at the house to cater to our aging goddesses in our absence because it's the right considerate thing to do for all.  We do have the real deal trained , cert service military girl (90 lbs) and one little that thinks she's the boss at home and never in a million years would I think of subjecting them or passengers to the confined environment of a cruise no matter how well trained.           

I totally agree with you and that why mine will be staying at home with his pet sitter.  It kinder for him and I will miss him desperately, especially as my husband forgets that I’m vision impaired. I’m 

• Like 1

For those who wish to pursue this while onboard, inform Guest Services that the ADA requires that Service Animals be only in one of two places:  on the floor, or held in the owner's arms.  Strollers, shopping carts, and furniture are expressly disallowed.  Also, the ship can request that the animal not be fed from the table, the ADA does not give the person the right to feed their animal from the table.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, chengkp75 said:

For those who wish to pursue this while onboard, inform Guest Services that the ADA requires that Service Animals be only in one of two places:  on the floor, or held in the owner's arms.  Strollers, shopping carts, and furniture are expressly disallowed.  Also, the ship can request that the animal not be fed from the table, the ADA does not give the person the right to feed their animal from the table.

Thank you for posting this! I was just typing a question about whether the ADA rules allow the ship to have some kind of guidelines. 

What you describe is what I've always seen with REAL service dogs. They stay close to the owner, quiet, and on the floor. So it would be easy for HAL to make these restrictions clear to anyone taking a dog on board. It's no change from standard expectations for the real service dogs and it would let the cheaters know that their dogs won't be allowed to misbehave. 

Our dogs were well trained.  One of my parents' firmest rule was no feeding the dog from the table. It only encourages the dog to beg and be a nuisance. And a large dog (airedale) trying to climb on someone's lap to be fed is a huge nuisance. 

2 hours ago, SargassoPirate said:

I have seen questionable service dogs on just about every cruise because the system is too easily abused.  However, I can usually manage to avoid them.  It's feral children that really annoy me.  

We call them "free-range children."

I think those so called emoitional support animals should be in be in kennels. 

Kept in enclosures in a ships kennel so that the owner could get some emotional support while visiting their little darlings...in the kennel area.  

Edited by iancal