Upgrade question - imminent deadline

nonni2

For those who have experienced the various stateroom types, please offer your opinion:

We’re booked in a standard verandah on the Oosterdam for 17 nights, and just got an upgrade offer. For $599 each, we can go to a Signature Suite; for $699 each, we can go to a Neptune Suite. (We’ve never stayed in a suite.) We’re pretty practical folks, so adding $1400 plus the tip increase is tough to swallow. BUT, we know this is an opportunity of a lifetime.

We didn’t see the offer until about an hour after it was sent, and the TA’s office had just closed. We can call ASAP in the morning, if we choose the upgrade; but our agonizing may be for naught.

Many thanks to anyone who responds.

• Like 1

$41 per person per day extra for a Neptune with the free laundry for 17 days and lots of extra space and the Neptune lounge, etc. sounds like a sweet deal to me!  $35 per person per day for all the extra space in a Signature Suite also sounds good (I love Signature Suites!).  If it was me traveling with two people I would go for the Neptune Suite!

Let us know what you choose and if you got it.  Good Luck!  Where/when is your cruise?

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
added
  • Like 3

If you are going to spend $599 pp then find the extra $100 and snatch the Neptune Suite.  That seems like a very good deal to me and the perks and space in the Neptune Suite will make the additional $100 pp very worthwhile.

Good luck!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kazu said:

If you are going to spend $599 pp then find the extra $100 and snatch the Neptune Suite.  That seems like a very good deal to me and the perks and space in the Neptune Suite will make the additional $100 pp very worthwhile.

Good luck!

For certain!  If you are going to upgrade to the Signature, definately spend the extrra $100 pp to get the Neptune (that is a great deal for 17 days).  The $699 total deal ia a great deal IMO - upsells like this normally go for alot more for 17 days.  

You need to call ASAP as these offers go quickly when they are this good.  Good chance you are already too late.  Also, look over the deck plan for the Neptunes on your ship and know what cabins you would like, so that your TA can ask for it when they contact HAL.  You might just have to ask for a certain area (like near the Neptune Lounge, near the mid-ship elevators (but not right next to them), aft-wrap cabins (which are great for scenery cruises), etc.  One tip is to do a dummy booking on HAL's website to see what is available.

I just checked and 5191 is still open.  Great aft-wrap cabin with HUGE balcony (I had 40 guests on it at one time) and all shaded.  Only negative is long walk to Neptune Lounge and other areas. plus if seas get rough (near the west coast) it gets a bit bumpier.

Edited by DaveOKC
  • Like 1

Well, call us Mr. and Mrs. Neptune!  We decided, with a little help from "our friends," to go for the Neptune if we could get it; but we'd opt out of the upsell to a Signature. (Kind of a compromise with ourselves.) Called the TA as soon as they opened (actually, before they opened and kept redialing 😀). They were only taking names at that point; said they'd call with the yay or nay.  Called with the good news of the Neptune, but there was no cabin assignment, yet. Just got home from errands and looked online. Well, DaveOKC, we will be living in #5191 for our round-trip Hawaii cruise, leaving next week. You're right, it's a bit of a jaunt to the Neptune Lounge, but that balcony is AMAZING!  Has me wishing this was a family cruise, instead of just the two of us!  (Guess we'll just have to make a lot of cruise friends!) Two of our last 3 cruises were very port-intensive, and we'd decided to keep this one low-key, even in port. Now, we may NEVER get off the ship!!!  THANK YOU, EVERYONE!!!  (Oh, I'm so excited; just can't contain myself! Maybe I won't even mind packing! 😉)

• Like 12

14 minutes ago, canadianbear said:

Congratulations!!!  You’ll love it!  Can have your whole roll call on the balcony, lol! 

Congrats on 5191.  I had our roll call over on one of the scenic cruising days on our cruise and 40 people attended plus not very crowded either!  Of course, tell them its BYOB (the cabin steward was great in providing us plenty of ice (like 8 buckets) and we ordered a ton of snacks though the Neptune conceirge (for free of course) - they were very happy to help.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, DaveOKC said:

Congrats on 5191.  I had our roll call over on one of the scenic cruising days on our cruise and 40 people attended plus not very crowded either!  Of course, tell them its BYOB (the cabin steward was great in providing us plenty of ice (like 8 buckets) and we ordered a ton of snacks though the Neptune conceirge (for free of course) - they were very happy to help.

It’s a shame my husband can’t tolerate aft cabins.  For our upcoming back to back we could have had an aft wrap 😒  stuck to mid ship Neptune.  

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, nonni2 said:

we will be living in #5191 for our round-trip Hawaii cruise, leaving next week. You're right, it's a bit of a jaunt to the Neptune Lounge, but that balcony is AMAZING! 

We had this exact suite for our Alaskan cruise in July this year! We absolutely loved every second of the cruise and every square inch of that fabulous balcony (we were so fortunate to have had a heat wave the week of our cruise) and enjoyed it day and night! It is very private, completely covered but you still get lots of sun. Also, people above you can not see down onto your balcony like some of the other aft suites (you'll see what I mean). You will love the space, inside and out! Enjoy your cruise! Oh, and by the way, if you need people to fill up your cabin space and balcony I can tag along as your long, lost sister 😊. Just an idea 😄

• Like 1

Congratulations!  You will love it, we had an aft wrap in the med and it was amazing.  You have to invite a few people in for cocktails!  So much fun, they will provide canapés. And breakfast at the pinnacle grill.  Have them serve dinner one night on your balcony,  with linens etc!  

• Like 1

Congratulations on snagging a NS.  YOU WILL LOVE IT.  Yes, I'm shouting because it's fabulous.  You'll be totally spoiled and pampered as DH and I were once.  It was the last cruise we took before he died.  I was so thankful we stayed in the suite as prior to that cruise we were inside category dwellers.  Now, I've stayed in almost every category, except those spa cabins.  To cruise in a NS each time, though, is simply not economically feasible for me if I wish to take more than 1 cruise every other year.  Since I enjoy going at least twice a year, the NS is out of the question unless I could get a deal as you did.

Again, this will be a cruise you'll both remember forever.  Enjoy every amenity and surprise that comes your way as part of being a suite guest.  Rely on your concierge as she/he can do most of the tasks which you would normally do for yourself.  Although, the NL is a bit of a hike from your stateroom, go several times a day and partake in the goodies and converse with the wonderful other passengers.  Wishing you a memorable cruise.

• Like 4