Dining question... Buffet or Dining room, which nights to go for Buffet?

PRINCESS Sweet Pea

It has been a while since we cruised, and I am thinking of breaking with the usual and trying the variety in the Buffet, instead of always the dining room.  We will also do Crown Grill and maybe Sabatini's too.  We will be on a seven day Caribbean.  So, I think the nightly menus will be the usual menus.    I like to be seated and waited on, but also love to try the different variety of things on a good buffet too.  Which nights would be best for the Buffet, and not the favorites for the dining room?   I know people have different favorites, but I wanted to get some ideas!

I doubt if the night matters. The buffet is much faster and not as relaxed as the dining room. I always go to breakfast and lunch in the buffet. During formal nights I would also go to the buffet but I am hearing that many people dress casually in the dining room even then. I may try it on my next cruise.

We've historically had dinner in the dining room only, but lately we've begun eating in the buffet once or twice a cruise for dinner - typically if it's a late port day. But, the nights we don't mind missing in the main dining room are Italian night and American night. Nothing on those menus really thrill us.

• Like 1

Pretty much just utilize the Buffet for breakfast and lunch (on sea days)...but I would guess that the buffet is mostly the same choices every night, with a few exceptions.  I know some folks go there on Formal Nights to avoid dressing up and I think I've read those nights usually have some better choices.  One thing for sure...can't go wrong wherever you eat!!

Dinning room menus are posted outside the restaurants, also on a recent Golden Princess sailing, the Maître D' presented and describe the dinner menu on the wake show.

We would judge the menu and decide where to eat. Walking though the buffet and knowing the menu let us choose each day.

• Like 5

Here are some considerations:

DR's tend to have their better selections on formal evenings.

If you are sailing on the Regal Princess it has an extensive buffet with lots of selections. If it's the Caribbean Princess the selections are not as extensive. The Caribbean Princess also has Planks & Steamers, $12/pp, in the aft section of the buffet area.

We tend to plan our dining around our evening activities and not the reverse. Some shows, such as Bravo on the Caribbean P., are very crowded and you have to arrive 45 minutes to an hour early.

Formal, smart casual evenings will be shown in the boarding day Patter. There should also be a list of shows and entertainers.

1 hour ago, aliciam said:

We've historically had dinner in the dining room only, but lately we've begun eating in the buffet once or twice a cruise for dinner - typically if it's a late port day. But, the nights we don't mind missing in the main dining room are Italian night and American night. Nothing on those menus really thrill us.

Same for us. The buffet has all the same items plus many more & it doesn't take over an hour to finish eating. Another benefit is getting to sample a little of everything compared to the limited main DR menu.

• Like 3

Years ago I got tired of dressing up and spending 1.5-2 hrs eating dinner so I eat the vast majority of my meals in the buffet. If someone asks me to join them in the MDR then I will, but that's it.

I'm currently on the Regal and their buffet is huge and good. I'm not a foodie but I have liked about 80% of the foods I've tried. There is lots of seating and the buffet is open 5am-11pm!

• Like 1

I rarely go to the buffet (personal choice).  Your head waiter in the main dining room and Crown Grill (maybe Sabatini's) "may" have access to themed MDR nights.  I've asked so that I can plan my Crown Grill visits.  Interesting take ... I don't care for Italian or American night.  

Best to check the menu outside the MDR to plan on your buffet runs.

In addition to checking the MDR menus, look on the back page of the Patter under Horizon Court Dining and see if there is a theme (Italian, Bavarian, Mongolian Barbeque, etc.) listed for that evening's dinner that appeals to you.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Go-Bucks! said:

I'm currently on the Regal and their buffet is huge and good. I'm not a foodie but I have liked about 80% of the foods I've tried. There is lots of seating and the buffet is open 5am-11pm!

Glad to hear that they open at 5 PM instead of 5:30 like the Crown.

We're early diners. 

53 minutes ago, capriccio said:

In addition to checking the MDR menus, look on the back page of the Patter under Horizon Court Dining and see if there is a theme (Italian, Bavarian, Mongolian Barbeque, etc.) listed for that evening's dinner that appeals to you.

This is what we usually do.

2 hours ago, Go-Bucks! said:

Years ago I got tired of dressing up and spending 1.5-2 hrs eating dinner so I eat the vast majority of my meals in the buffet. If someone asks me to join them in the MDR then I will, but that's it.

This is how I feel. I don't want to spend 2 hours sitting down for dinner, so buffet it is. My friend and I only went to the MDR 2 nights on our first cruise (first for both of us)...the first night and formal night. The first night decided it for the rest of the cruise. Instead of sitting there for two hours we made use of the spa (not a Princess cruise) and ate at the buffet...we had the spa to ourselves pretty much every time by going then. We would also go check out the menu of the MDR daily and if there was something we really wanted we ordered it via room service (HAL). It was a great work around for us.

I will say though that I really enjoyed eating in the MDR for breakfast the one day we did that near the end of our cruise and we wished we had done that more.

This is, of course, my own opinion, worth just that(grin), but my answer to the question is NEVER.  There are so many other options that would put the buffet last on my list.  The only time I used is when my hubby was quarantined on our Baltic cruise for a couple of days due to flu outbreak and I ate there to make it quick and take something back to him.  I mean it is like going to the "Golden Corral" for dinner.  

Pooh

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On Royal Class ships I tend to eat in Alfredos and no -- I'm not eating pizza. I like their eggplant, pasta, and apple tart. Last cruise I ate there 3 of the 5 nights and did not repeat my choice (except dessert)

45 minutes ago, PoohUnderstands said:

This is, of course, my own opinion, worth just that(grin), but my answer to the question is NEVER.  There are so many other options that would put the buffet last on my list.  The only time I used is when my hubby was quarantined on our Baltic cruise for a couple of days due to flu outbreak and I ate there to make it quick and take something back to him.  I mean it is like going to the "Golden Corral" for dinner.  

Pooh

Wow. I know it's only a buffet but comparing it to the "Golden Corral" is really a low blow. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, geoherb said:

And if you know you will be eating dinner in the buffet, Crown Grill, and Sabatini's on your cruise, please don't book traditional dining. 

I can see that if you are going to eat all or even more than half of your meals outside of the MDR. But for the the occasional night to enjoy the specialty restaurants this is an unreasonable demand. Just inform the waitstaff and/or your table mates that you will not be there the following evening. 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, echoshipmate said:

Guess the OP has never experienced the buffet on a royal class ship!

It's probably the best buffet Princess has ever put together. Something for everyone, every night.

They've dedicated enough room to allow for so many dishes that I doubt if an individual could even sample a little of each one at one sitting.