Recycling

lolabarola

Hi - how silly am I! I genuinely thought Princess recycled the huge amount of paper generated each day - you know, the spot sales, effy jewellery, fast auction, all that fascinating stuff. So i always carefully collect a pile and put it in a clean bin. So today i ask at Passenger Services and nope, nothing is recycled. Can’t be done apparently.... don’t know why... a separate bin in the cabin or even one near the desk doesn’t sound too problematic. So another load in landfill and no way to stop the daily avalanche of rubbish flyers. Anyone know what other cruise lines do? 

I was on Azamara this summer and they have separate bins in the public areas.  In your cabin you put it all in the one bin and they do it after.  I still put the paper separate but I think that is a Canadian thing.   In Florida for example some cities all the recycling and separating takes place at the refuse centre, not by individual households.

I've been reading that China no longer buys our recyclables so it's becoming a moot point. Here in Calif. Many of our aluminum can recycle centers have closed but they continue to charge us a nickel a can when we buy a six pack. 

https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/03/china-has-stopped-accepting-our-trash/584131/

Edited by cruzsnooze

1 hour ago, lolabarola said:

Hi - how silly am I! I genuinely thought Princess recycled the huge amount of paper generated each day - you know, the spot sales, effy jewellery, fast auction, all that fascinating stuff. So i always carefully collect a pile and put it in a clean bin. So today i ask at Passenger Services and nope, nothing is recycled. Can’t be done apparently.... don’t know why... a separate bin in the cabin or even one near the desk doesn’t sound too problematic. So another load in landfill and no way to stop the daily avalanche of rubbish flyers. Anyone know what other cruise lines do? 

Princess sorts the trash and recycles everything that can be recycled.

Not sure why that person would tell you that. 
Glass

Paper

Plastic

Batteries.

Food waste is macerated and discharged in approved areas.

3 hours ago, lolabarola said:

So another load in landfill and no way to stop the daily avalanche of rubbish flyers. Anyone know what other cruise lines do? 

In the past cruise lines did not use landfill, it was not their first choice disposal system.

Regards John

25 minutes ago, Mike45LC said:

I checked with the photo people on board the Royal, and verified that I could recycle my AA batteries through them.  I did not watch to see what they did with them, but they did assure me that they recycled them.

Batteries are haz mat that's why they need proper disposal.

You could freely dispose of batteries in your cabin waste basket.  The cabin stewards collect all the trash into the large bags on their carts, and then they take it down to the sorting area, and hand sort every piece of trash they collect.  Sorting categories are:  corrugated, paper, plastic, glass (brown, clear, green), batteries, disposable lighters, disposable razors, other sharps, biohazard, food waste, crockery, metal, and probably a couple of others I've forgotten about.  Cruise ships try to land as little "mixed" garbage as possible, since this is considered "foreign garbage" (came from a foreign ship, or a US ship that has been to a foreign port), and gets treated like biohazard waste (triple bagged and biohazard tagged) and costs 3-5 times what "domestic" garbage costs to dispose of.  Clean, sorted, recyclable material is handled differently than mixed garbage, but is still expensive to land.

Now, is the paper recycled?  In many cases, not.  It is burned in the ship's incinerator.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, lolabarola said:

MSC has a divided, color coded  bin for recyclables. One color/section for paper, etc, one for plastics, etc, one for dirty stuff that can't/isn't recyclable. 

Trouble is, with only one wastebin in the cabin the waste is inevitably mixed and paper is contaminated with food and other waste products so can’t be recycled. In the Patter today there was actually an email address and a message to address any environmental concerns by email with the Princess Environmental Dept www.canivalcompliance.com - no email address unfortunately. So I guess i may contact them once I arrive home, just be interested to read their policy on these things. 

This is also the first cruise, out of the many we’ve done, where we saw small pieces of plastic waste floating over quite a large area. Nothing to do with Princess, but sad to see anyway.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

It’s a little known fact that the ship needs all the art auction fliers to propel the ship. Without the fliers the steam engine boilers would not have enough fuel to run. So, we all need to thank the art auctions for keeping the ships sailing.

Hi Neverbeenhere,

I always tell you that. I like your way of thinking. 😳😁

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

• Thanks 1

I opt out of all paper on the ship. I stop off at PSD if I feel the need for a paper patter (happens at the end of each cruise for the log). I get everything I need / want on my phone. Plus I like missing the 'ads'

11 hours ago, lolabarola said:

Trouble is, with only one wastebin in the cabin the waste is inevitably mixed and paper is contaminated with food and other waste products so can’t be recycled. In the Patter today there was actually an email address and a message to address any environmental concerns by email with the Princess Environmental Dept www.canivalcompliance.com - no email address unfortunately. So I guess i may contact them once I arrive home, just be interested to read their policy on these things. 

This is also the first cruise, out of the many we’ve done, where we saw small pieces of plastic waste floating over quite a large area. Nothing to do with Princess, but sad to see anyway.

Due to the sheer volume of paper on the ship, most ships simply incinerate the paper, since it would prove a logistical nightmare to compact and store a week's worth for unloading to recycle on turn around day.  You're talking several cubic meters of paper waste daily.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 11/16/2019 at 9:34 PM, Ombud said:

I opt out of all paper on the ship. I stop off at PSD if I feel the need for a paper patter (happens at the end of each cruise for the log). I get everything I need / want on my phone. Plus I like missing the 'ads'

I wish I agreed with you, but once again, on my last cruise, I found that the "app" still did not list all of the events taking place.  I looked on my phone for the production show and it was not listed.  A couple of hours later, the early show was listed, but not the second show. 

The Medallion class app also does not show the dining hours.

• Like 1

On 11/16/2019 at 7:49 PM, lolabarola said:

If you research you will find most plastic waste comes from 10 rivers - 2 in Africa and 8 in Asia.

https://nypost.com/2017/12/12/10-rivers-are-responsible-for-90-of-the-plastic-in-the-ocean/

Mike45LC, I know my dining times b4 I get on the ship so I don't need to be reminded. But here's something I discovered on my 2nd medallion cruise. If I scroll down on the concierge app I can see all events. Or I can sort for what I want. 

MixerDave, that may well be but it's getting harder to find places willing to take our trash. I opt to simply minimize my 'contribution'

You might be surprised to find out that most of the garbage we separate out into our recycle bins at home is not actually recycled ... I know I was.  I have a friend that works at a well known coffee chain and even though they have separate trash bins for recyclables, they don't actually recycle any of it.  Guess it is mostly just a feel good measure that we feel like we are doing things to help save our environment ... but, we are really not.  

In a recent article ....  

"Despite the fact that 75% of people recycle, 75% of plastic generated ends up in landfills and only 9% is actually recycled."

Just google it ... you will find the same.    

For the last year where I live, they had cut us down to only accepting #1 or #2 plastics at recycling.  We also discovered that they were incincerating those.  They were set to stop taking any plastics as of December 2nd until last week when they cut a deal to begin taking all plastics which will be turned over to a company to use for roads and other building materials.