Questions about RCI Visa

I have wanted to get a RCI Visa Card for awhile, but DH doesn’t think it’s a good idea. We always pay off the balance on our current cards each month, so it’s not a problem of debt. What are everyone else’s experiences? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks!

Also, they give you a 10,000 point bonus after one purchase.   Make a small purchase, and cash the 10,000 points in for $100 OBC.

Other cards give more back, with less restrictions.  We only use ours for cruise related purchases, and use other cards for all other purchases.

12 hours ago, Host Clarea said:

Pro: No annual fee, 2% back on RC purchases.

Con: 1% back on other purchases.  Many cards give back more.

Pro:  Let points accumulate and cash in to pay off cruise.  100,000 points got me $1,000 toward balance I owed for cruise.

Buy OBC to use for drinks or shop.

• Like 1

I have the card and took advantage of the introductory bonus points offer.  I redeemed those bonus miles for OBC with no problem.  I still have the card since there is no annual fee but don't use it, opting for another card with 2% cash back on all purchases.  

Have had this card for over 14 years, only use it for royal purchases. the points add up fast and are nice for extra obc. we always pay off balances so as not to pay interest. Its a good card to have just for cruising.

On 11/25/2019 at 8:56 AM, SRF said:

I have the RCI card, and I ONLY charge RCI expenses on it.  And use the points for OBC.

If you want to build points use your card for everything.  I even charge house/car insurance but then pay bill as soon as it comes in to build point total.

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 7:31 PM, MalteseMama2 said:

I have wanted to get a RCI Visa Card for awhile, but DH doesn’t think it’s a good idea. We always pay off the balance on our current cards each month, so it’s not a problem of debt. What are everyone else’s experiences? What are the pros and cons?

Thanks!

Hey girl!  We had our regular credit card (United Visa) number stolen AGAIN!!  This time it was a skimmer at a Pilot station on the way north in June.  Were stuck without the main credit card until we could finish trip up to Maine for replacement mailed to us.  

Finally decided...what the heck...no annual fees and some OBC coming our way...plus it is connected to our bank (BOA), so is very easy for us to access and control with that.  This will now be our back up card.  I paid for two cruises and some shore excursions with it (extra points).  I am going to use it in areas when we travel, that I would not have wanted to risk my regular CC.  

And we are like you, we pay off our cards in full as soon as statement drops.  Have not found a negative to having this card ...so far anyway.  

On 11/24/2019 at 8:31 PM, h20skibum said:

Also, they give you a 10,000 point bonus after one purchase.   Make a small purchase, and cash the 10,000 points in for $100 OBC.

Other cards give more back, with less restrictions.  We only use ours for cruise related purchases, and use other cards for all other purchases.

On 11/25/2019 at 9:57 AM, cruzn13 said:

Have had this card for over 14 years, only use it for royal purchases. the points add up fast and are nice for extra obc. we always pay off balances so as not to pay interest. Its a good card to have just for cruising.

My husband and I each have a Royal Caribbean BOA card.  We very much enjoy the rewards (OBC) we gain from using it to pay for cruises and while on board (double points).  Points do add up fast, we always redeem a nice chunk before each sailing.  And as other have said, no annual fee.  So long as you pay your balance each month, the OBC is free money.

11 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Why?  I charged enough to cash in 100,000 points for $1,000.  Easy way to earn $$$.

Because many cards give 1.5 or 2% on all purchases.  Others give 5% on groceries for 3 months, then 5% on gas, then 5% on restaurant bills up to $1,500 in purchases per quarter.

On 11/25/2019 at 8:34 AM, Snit13 said:

Pro:  Let points accumulate and cash in to pay off cruise.  100,000 points got me $1,000 toward balance I owed for cruise.

Buy OBC to use for drinks or shop.

Let points accumulate on a better card and pay $2000 toward the balance owed for cruise

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Snit13 said:

If you want to build points use your card for everything.  I even charge house/car insurance but then pay bill as soon as it comes in to build point total.

I charge those on other cards with better perks than the RCI 1 point per dollar.

• Like 2

On 11/26/2019 at 3:59 PM, island lady said:

Hey girl!  We had our regular credit card (United Visa) number stolen AGAIN!!  This time it was a skimmer at a Pilot station on the way north in June.  Were stuck without the main credit card until we could finish trip up to Maine for replacement mailed to us.  

Finally decided...what the heck...no annual fees and some OBC coming our way...plus it is connected to our bank (BOA), so is very easy for us to access and control with that.  This will now be our back up card.  I paid for two cruises and some shore excursions with it (extra points).  I am going to use it in areas when we travel, that I would not have wanted to risk my regular CC.  

And we are like you, we pay off our cards in full as soon as statement drops.  Have not found a negative to having this card ...so far anyway.  

What a nightmare about your Visa card! I never thought about what would happen if I was away from home and my card was stolen. That’s another good reason to have the Royal card as a backup. 

• Like 1

On 11/24/2019 at 7:31 PM, MalteseMama2 said:

Thanks!

My take-

-I got the card for the bonus 10,000 points. I have cashed in for $250 OBC so far.

-I only use it for RCI purchases. To use it for anything else at 1% is a total waste.

-My everyday card gets 1.75% back on everything. (no fee).

-My AARP card gives 3% on travel. It has a limit, but it is a generous one.

-Beware of paying your bill. I find that Bank of America obfuscates what you owe so that you pay the minimum and then have an interest fee. Look at your payment choices very carefully.

-Do not open, use, redeem, and cancel. Just leave it dormant; there is no fee. Multiple canceling of cards giving offers can well effect credit rating and future applications.

-I opened a Carnival Mastercard recently on a cruise on Pride. It had a $200 deduction from my onboard expenses charged to the card. I just had to make one more purchase on land. It will now sit dormant, never to be used again.

I'm thinking that after my next redemption, I'm going back to 3% AARP for cruise fare and onboard purchases, tips, etc.