BEWARE PRINCESS TRIP POTECTION

paul1439

Beware of buying Princess Trip Protection. They do cover excursions. Here is the catch,  ONLY Princess excursions. The best way to get protection for any excursions is buy thru any independent travel insurance company. This protection comes under trip interruption. I just recently got this education  when I put in my claim  for trip interruption  (independent excursion) due to sickness. Aon Affinity Travel Practice is the name of Princess Trip Protection insurance company. Why would anybody buy a travel protection from the cruise line with these restrictions when you can buy from any travel insurance company without restrictions?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You need to read your policy.  Princess protection always only covers "products" purchased through Princess (i.e. cruise fare, flights booked through EZAir, Princess excursions - although if those are cancelled you will receive a credit to your on board account, hotels booked through Princess, etc.).  The premium you pay is based on those costs.

We only purchase Princess protection when our only non-refundable expenses are from Princess.  Otherwise we buy independent insurance.

Edited by msmoger
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I’m not sure I understand what your claim was for?  Was it for an excursion that you had to miss due to illness?  Or did something happen on the excursion that required a claim be submitted.  I would not think/expect that  Princess insurance would cover something not purchased through Princess or controlled by Princess.  

We had to cancel an expensive excursion once the morning it was to take place, as DH became ill.  We went down to the medical office who agreed that he was unable to take the excursion and we got our money back. 

Edited by sunsetbeachgal
  • Like 3

If I have to pay in advance for an independent excursion, I check their cancellation policy before I book.  Most reputable tour operators would refund what you paid if you let them know in advance about the cancellation.  I would not expect Princess to pay for this.

• Like 7

40 minutes ago, paul1439 said:

Why would anybody buy a travel protection from the cruise line with these restrictions when you can buy from any travel insurance company without restrictions?

Why would anybody expect Princess to cover excursions from competitors? Princess offers excursions. Other companies offer excursions. They are not at all related. I don't understand why you would have ever expected some other company's excursions to be covered under Princess insurance.

• Like 16

23 minutes ago, sunsetbeachgal said:

I’m not sure I understand what your claim was for?  Was it for an excursion that you had to miss due to illness?  Or did something happen on the excursion that required a claim be submitted.  I would not think/expect that  Princess insurance would cover something not purchased through Princess or controlled by Princess.  

We had to cancel an expensive excursion once the morning it was to take place, as DH became ill.  We went down to the medical office who agreed that he was unable to take the excursion and we got our money back. 

We had a similar experience.  We were in Hawaii and I originally booked a Princess excursion on the Big Island but it was canceled that morning.  So, I booked an independent excursion where I injured my knee while we were out hiking!  Ouch!!

I visited the medical center and they asked if it was a Princess excursion and it explained it was not.  I didn't even realize they would have covered it had it been a Princess excursion.  I had another couple excursions booked for the next couple of islands via the Princess excursions desk, though.  Since I was past my cancellation date, at least on one of them, I thought it was lost money ... but lo and behold, they provided us both refunds only those upcoming tours.  That was a very nice surprise. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The OPs issue is not unique to Princess ..  likely woulda been samr result with any other cruiseline, travel consolidator, or land tour operator such as Odysseys Unlimited

Most unfair to cast aspersions on Princess and AON ... for following standard operating procedures

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Cruise Raider said:

We had a similar experience.  We were in Hawaii and I originally booked a Princess excursion on the Big Island but it was canceled that morning.  So, I booked an independent excursion where I injured my knee while we were out hiking!  Ouch!!

I visited the medical center and they asked if it was a Princess excursion and it explained it was not.  I didn't even realize they would have covered it had it been a Princess excursion.  I had another couple excursions booked for the next couple of islands via the Princess excursions desk, though.  Since I was past my cancellation date, at least on one of them, I thought it was lost money ... but lo and behold, they provided us both refunds only those upcoming tours.  That was a very nice surprise. 

Are you saying they wouldn't cover a medical situation if it happened on a non-Princess excursion? I wouldn't expect to recover excursion cost if non-Princess.

Just now, MGAfhc said:

Are you saying they wouldn't cover a medical situation if it happened on a non-Princess excursion? I wouldn't expect to recover excursion cost if non-Princess.

No, it was all about the excursion costs.  I actually didn't expect to recoup the cost of any excursion, whether it had been a Princess or independent one.  It was actually the doctor that told me that the cost of the excursion would have been reimbursed if I had been on a Princess one....he asked, I answered.  It was the Princess excursions that I booked for the following port(s) that I thought were money down the drain but they happily canceled them for me and my DH even though it was past the allowable cancellation date.  At the excursion desk, they actually informed me I could cancel these tours the mornings of the calls in each subsequent port ... just in case my knee was feeling better and I still wanted to go.  It wasn't meant to be, though, but they were so very flexible and helpful.   

I actually ended up requiring surgery ... all medical costs were covered.  I felt as though I was treated quite fairly!  

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Thrak said:

Why would anybody expect Princess to cover excursions from competitors? Princess offers excursions. Other companies offer excursions. They are not at all related. I don't understand why you would have ever expected some other company's excursions to be covered under Princess insurance.

EXACTLY what I was thinking....

• Like 3

4 hours ago, bemis12 said:

This might also be titled "Beware Booking Independent Excursions"

Actually it would be better titled "Beware of Idiotic Expectations" or else ".  Was the OP really expecting the Princess guarantee to cover services not supplied by Princess.

DON

• Like 3

We always try to use EZair & airport transfers through Princess because they are covered under the Princess Vacation Protection Plan. To cover this under independent insurance would be, in our case, almost more than the cost of the cruise.

Theo

• Like 2

Independent insurance covers you door to door.  However, the cost is based on age/cost to be covered.  If you are of a "certain age," cruise line insurance is cheaper.  On the "con" side is what has been pointed out, covers only what they sell you and, in my opinion, not sufficient if you need medi-vac.  Their pre-existing coverage usually has a several month "look back."  Anything that occurs between the time you buy it and the time period during look back is not covered.  

Our transatlantic cruise this fall missed two ports. Some of the people on our rollcall who booked excursions through other companies had trouble getting refunds. I always like to make sure that when I book excursions with other companies that they'll refund any money paid if the ship isn't able to dock. A couple of years ago, we had a great experience with a tour company in Ireland. They found out that our ship was delayed and rearranged the schedule to meet our revised itinerary. That's a company that received a glowing review from me.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, paul1439 said:

Beware of buying Princess Trip Protection. They do cover excursions. Here is the catch,  ONLY Princess excursions. The best way to get protection for any excursions is buy thru any independent travel insurance company. This protection comes under trip interruption. I just recently got this education  when I put in my claim  for trip interruption  (independent excursion) due to sickness. Aon Affinity Travel Practice is the name of Princess Trip Protection insurance company. Why would anybody buy a travel protection from the cruise line with these restrictions when you can buy from any travel insurance company without restrictions?

Well because it gets more expensive for insurance the older you are! Last year had to cancel after I fell fractured three ribs (ouch) got my money back for the cruise!That was almost three thousand dollars well worth the cost of the ins!

Edited by Reader0108598
  • Like 1

It's my  understanding that the cost of Princess insurance is based upon the cost of the products purchased through Princess.  There is no reason Princess insurance would cover something that you have not paid a fee for, ie, purchases through independent operators.   You wouldn't expect your auto insurance to cover your home would you?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, sunsetbeachgal said:

18 hours ago, Thrak said:

Why would anybody buy cruise line insurance when you can buy independent travel insurance and be covered for any airline or excursion?

3 minutes ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Wait till you're in your 70s (as many are) and you'll know the answer.

I will still buy 3rd party insurance, especially in my 70's. Princess's medical coverage is so poor and I am more likely to need better medical coverage in my 70's than I do now (as I will be on Medicare then).

Edited by Coral
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, weedpindle said:

Did ya read the declaration of coverage befoer you bought the insurance to see what it covered?

Normally they (travel agent or Princess agent} ask you if you want travel insurance. After you say yes then they send you the declaration of coverage.