Coastal Kitchen Not for Jr. Suites - Oasis

Hi all,

We were on Ovation in Alaska in September in a JS and on the 3rd night we went to the CK and had no problems getting in for dinner at about 7pm. Funny, on the 6th night we were walking to the Windjammer for dinner and the concierge saw us and started asking us if we were coming in again. We said we were not but he insisted and then gave us a free glass of wine each. We didn't have any drink packages. He came and spoke to us 3 or 4 times during dinner. Have to admit I gave him a pretty good tip after that!

Great service.

Cheers

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Lionesss said:

We sailed in Cl suites on all of our Allure/Oasis class vacations.

We know from experience if we did  not request a dinner time of 5:45-6pm when we got the concierge letter welcoming us, and if there was anything they can do...................we could not get this time every day.  We would get a seating, but not always what we wanted.

But we got some later times with  no problem.  And if that happened we just had to book specialty at time we wanted or eat later.

Yes it is busy at first, especially boarding day, but it is easy to get a later seating.

Good luck.

Lioness -- your experiences with booking CK reservations tracks with what I have seen.  We always eat at 8 PM and CK is often emptying out.  When we are in line for reservations, sometimes there are no available reservations before 7:30 pm.  As I wrote earlier, our experiences are on Oasis class ships sailing from Florida where early seating is beyond "hot" -- maybe sizzling.  (this was true also for MDR tables where people wanted to change dinner seatings on Freedom and Mariner).  

4 hours ago, jagsfan said:

Thanks, guys. 

I know it’s maybe not what my DH will want, but I’d like to eat there one night, at least. 

Preferably the filet night. 

Therein lies the problem. 

That menu is only offered one night, no way every one eligible gets it.

This is why CK would be better if they went back to 2 really good menus vs the current offering 

On 12/11/2019 at 7:53 PM, John&LaLa said:

Therein lies the problem. 

That menu is only offered one night, no way every one eligible gets it.

This is why CK would be better if they went back to 2 really good menus vs the current offering 

We had filets 5 of the 7 nights but because we requested it.  It is typically on the first night menu and prime rib on the second night.

4 hours ago, later said:

We had filets 5 of the 7 nights but because we requested it.  It is typically on the first night menu and prime rib on the second night.

That's actually kind of boring😉

I can see requesting it once, but 5 times. 😱

This was the original 2 menus offered

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2282383-allure-coastal-kitchen-menus/?do=findComment&comment=48976133

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

I wouldn't think that Jr. Suites would have a problem making a reservation as long as the guests are very fussy about time.  We as do many Grand Suite and above guests, dine most often in specialty restaurants.  We typically take the all inclusive dining package and only have breakfast in the CK.

was on Symphony twice this year  and Coastal Kitchen is available for Junior Suite Guests, However you must make advanced reservations once you board and you will be accommodated if space is available.  Also your sea pass key will not open the entrance  and you will have to knock on the door to get in..   We were able to eat there all nights but one.  Best meals onboard. 

Edited by Missymo
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Cruise a holic said:

I wouldn't think that Jr. Suites would have a problem making a reservation as long as the guests are very fussy about time.  We as do many Grand Suite and above guests, dine most often in specialty restaurants.  We typically take the all inclusive dining package and only have breakfast in the CK.

In think you meant "not" fussy about time.  If you sail out of Port C, it is usually easier to get a table later in the evening than around 5:30 PM.  

17 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

That's actually kind of boring😉

I can see requesting it once, but 5 times. 😱

This was the original 2 menus offered

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/topic/2282383-allure-coastal-kitchen-menus/?do=findComment&comment=48976133

I agree with you but my wife could eat them everyday.

happy wife happy life

-Tim-

Edited by later
  • Like 3

On 12/10/2019 at 5:50 PM, ONECRUISER said:

Jr Suites have been Dinner only "based on Availability' for years, might been since CK first opened.

I am going to call BS on this, I booked on one of the first cruises for Oasis class albeit 2 years out and there was NO mention on JS being "based on Availability" only for JS, it was listed as a PERK period.

On 12/10/2019 at 3:20 PM, magnolia888 said:

I think that is exactly what RC wants to happen.   When you book a JS, the perks are very clear that you get dinner in CK, but once on board, the Compass tells you differently.  They are hoping you booked a year ago and just forgot about that perk that you paid for.

I agree, in that they believe Royal became overloaded by pinnacles eating at CK every night, and as a consequence had to reject the JS occupants.  I also thing they should not list it on their web site as a perk if when you board you find that as a JS you are non-available. I personally have nothing staging pinnacles, except the ones I have run into, mostly seem to flash there name tags and even when i have been into a suite and had access to the CS lounge find that most nights they are the folks that are sitting in there all night long.

Hate to say it, but of all the cruises on Royal, and I'm at diamond plus now, the most disappointing was in a JS on Oasis and could not book a night into CK during the first 5 nights on a 7 night cruise at which point I gave up.  I was never treated as a 2nd class , steerage passenger on any cruise as when I tried to book CK on that cruise.

I have decided that if i want to eat in CK, I will just book a GS or better.

Beware if in a JS, you might not get into CK !!

sorry rant over

Edited by cruisegus
  • Like 3

46 minutes ago, cruisegus said:

I am going to call BS on this, I booked on one of the first cruises for Oasis class albeit 2 years out and there was NO mention on JS being "based on Availability" only for JS, it was listed as a PERK period.

No need to 'call BS', we sailed Oasis 5 years ago in a JS and were told we had to have reservations. They were just easier to come by back then😉

I interpret that as based on availability.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

No need to 'call BS', we sailed Oasis 5 years ago in a JS and were told we had to have reservations. They were just easier to come by back then😉

I interpret that as based on availability.

Agree. I save everything from my Royal Cruises last 30+ yrs, sure I have Oasis paperwork and Brochure from yrs ago. Curious if says that, unfortunately its packed in my "Royal" storage tub up in Michigan and I'm in AZ. As with everything Royal it's all in the small print, which pretty sure at least said Reservations Required for Jr. Wish CC had better search options, and showed all old posts. Would Love see what we talked about when first got on here in 1997. I remember some from back then, more from when Oasis came out

Edited by ONECRUISER

6 hours ago, ONECRUISER said:

Required for Jr. Wish CC had better search options, and showed all old posts.

Some Google searches can dig up older posts.

Biker, who would like CC to have the date search option return, even if the default is the current 1 year limit.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Some Google searches can dig up older posts.

Biker, who would like CC to have the date search option return, even if the default is the current 1 year limit.

I would like to be able to read Sailor Jack’s older posts, especially his descriptions of their day in Egypt. I’ve never laughed so hard in my life and start up again when telling anyone about it. 

I wish I had printed it. 

1 hour ago, jagsfan said:

I would like to be able to read Sailor Jack’s older posts, especially his descriptions of their day in Egypt

If one knows the poster, one can search their posts at their public profile page: https://boards.cruisecritic.com.au/profile/274078-sailorjack/content/

Edited by Biker19