Gift idea for a cruiser?

Cruise Feelz

I am looking to give a gift to my father who retired several years ago, I think he will be doing some more cruising in the coming years and I want to encourage him by giving him something other than just outright buying him a cruise package.  We went on several Princess cruises back in the early 2000's and also a Celebrity cruise earlier this year.

He prides himself in being a savvy guy with lots of convenient tips and tricks and hacks and knowing all the best ways to do things, travel light, keychain carabiners, etc.

I was thinking maybe some Stainless steel straws for him to bring on cruises due to the new paper straws which aren't great, but I am thinking he could view metal straws as too much hassle to bring and clean on a cruise.

Does anyone have any good gift ideas?  My ideal budget is up to about $1000, but ideally something small and inexpensive.

Good Tommy Bahama shirts

Locking bag to put on loungers at beach/pool for valuables - aqua vault 

Lanyard with fav team or other interest - conversation starter

small high powered LED flashlight - rechargeable- also serves as a battery to recharge phones in emergency

Where is he going on the cruise?  That could make a little difference...

The USB flashlight is a good idea.   The one I have is the Goal One Lighthouse Micro Charge Lantern.  It's called a "lantern", but it's a flashlight that you can hang.  I love it.  It's pretty lightweight.  When I'm not using it for camping, it's the flashlight in my car.

If he is going Caribbean, I would also go for a few Tommy Bahama shirts and pants.  Very classy!!!

What about a camera?  There are some great little cameras out there now.  

5 hours ago, slidergirl said:

Where is he going on the cruise?  That could make a little difference...

The USB flashlight is a good idea.   The one I have is the Goal One Lighthouse Micro Charge Lantern.  It's called a "lantern", but it's a flashlight that you can hang.  I love it.  It's pretty lightweight.  When I'm not using it for camping, it's the flashlight in my car.

If he is going Caribbean, I would also go for a few Tommy Bahama shirts and pants.  Very classy!!!

What about a camera?  There are some great little cameras out there now.  

We did transatlantic to UK/portugal earlier this year.  Going forward, I think he has increasing interest in multiple parts of Europe, including Scandinavia, and also further trips around Spain, Portugal, etc.  He does not seem interested anymore in Caribbean (we did that stuff years ago, he seems a lot more mature nowadays as a retired man and i think he wants to really appreciate the architecture, sights and sounds etc and not go to the beach at all)  Can you think of anything to take for those Europe areas? 

Actually just before you posted, I remember that he has been talking about getting a nice long lens for a digital SLR we have, so that is a good idea, although the best lenses definitely aren't cheap! 🙂

Edited by Cruise Feelz

9 hours ago, Cruise Feelz said:

We did transatlantic to UK/portugal earlier this year.  Going forward, I think he has increasing interest in multiple parts of Europe, including Scandinavia, and also further trips around Spain, Portugal, etc.  He does not seem interested anymore in Caribbean (we did that stuff years ago, he seems a lot more mature nowadays as a retired man and i think he wants to really appreciate the architecture, sights and sounds etc and not go to the beach at all)  Can you think of anything to take for those Europe areas? 

Actually just before you posted, I remember that he has been talking about getting a nice long lens for a digital SLR we have, so that is a good idea, although the best lenses definitely aren't cheap! 🙂

I've spent more money on my last lens than I did on the DSLR I have!    My favorite travel lens is my 18-200mm for my Nikon.  It works for closeups of architecture (I love to look at the intricacies of buildings) and does nicely on long shots.   I have a longer lens that I bought for a safari, but it doesn't come out as much as my travel lens.  

I thought of another thing that isn't expensive, may not get used, but good to have:  a headlamp.  In case of emergency, the headlamp comes in handy to free your hands.  The last time I camped, I could see everyone walking around with headlamps at night instead of flashlights.  

A small flashlight is useful. I also take a small travel clock. I like to see the time at night, my husband uses his watch. Very useful: his phone has an international T-Mobile plan that tells him " Welcome to Japan! - Welcome to Italy! etc. We needed the phone before and after the cruises for land tours, even short ones. I am assuming your father likes to take nature pictures? A long lens is a hassle to carry around in a city. Same with binoculars. 

You could purchase the wine package for his next cruise or the hotel for 2 nights before the cruise.

On 12/12/2019 at 2:13 AM, Cruise Feelz said:

One of these - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DJNR9LM/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=AS8F55Q7LYHA9&psc=1

Adapts from the 4 major world outlets (US, UK, Euro, Asia) to any one of the 4, and provided 2 USB ports for charging devices.

I use mine all the time, all over the world.

I gave someone a travel carry on bag stuffed with cruise goodies:  insulated water bottle, sun screen, towel clips, over the door shoe hanger, power converters, a good book to read,  cheap sunglasses (but you could buy good ones with your budget) etc.  

Not to actually take with him, but as you say he is already a savvy traveller,  what about one of those large maps of the world? The bigger the better as they show more locations in countries, and he could keep it rolled up if he doesn't want it on a wall.

He could mark on it all the countries he has visited, some in the past, others during future travels.

As above, really good binoculars.

And if he doesn't already have them, a quality rainproof jacket and a fleece.  Can wear the jacket on its own, or the fleece on its own, or both together, depending on the weather.

And a fleece hat and gloves.

Or a pair of quality walking shoes with good grips on the soles as there are many cobbled streets in Europe and they can get slippery when wet.

Or give him cash in the currency of the country he is going to visit so he can buy or do something there,

Or pay for an excursion.

Edited by edinburgher

48 minutes ago, edinburgher said:

Not to actually take with him, but as you say he is already a savvy traveller,  what about one of those large maps of the world? The bigger the better as they show more locations in countries, and he could keep it rolled up if he doesn't want it on a wall.

He could mark on it all the countries he has visited, some in the past, others during future travels..

And if he doesn't already have them, a quality rainproof jacket and a fleece.  Can wear the jacket on its own, or the fleece on its own, or both together, depending on the weather.

Mrs Ldubs has a large world map like that on her office wall.  Pushpins for all the places we have been.  It is really very cool. 

I think the rain jacket is a great idea.  I have a lightweight rain jacket with an oversized hood that has been all over the world.  It runs large so easily fits over other coats or jackets.  It can be wadded up and stuffed just about anywhere.  Doesn't weight anything.  If it starts to rain, I'm golden!  I really consider it one of the best items I have for travel.  

• Like 1

On 12/13/2019 at 10:46 AM, Bookish Angel said:

A gift card to Amazon or his fave local store so he can get exactly what HE wants.

Or a gift card for the cruise line he is traveling on.....but not a Tommy Bahama or Hawaiian shirt, that marks him as "taken".

On 12/13/2019 at 2:30 PM, ldubs said:

I think the rain jacket is a great idea.  I have a lightweight rain jacket with an oversized hood that has been all over the world.  It runs large so easily fits over other coats or jackets.  It can be wadded up and stuffed just about anywhere.  Doesn't weight anything.  If it starts to rain, I'm golden!  I really consider it one of the best items I have for travel.  

Which one do you have?

1 hour ago, SRF said:

Which one do you have?

Oh boy, all I can really tell you is it is Lands' End brand waterproof windbreaker without a lining.  It is several years old and still going strong.