What Carnival stock do you buy for Princess OBC

spyro1952

Can all be done as a single page.  I print my Schwab account page showing the account with the 100 share ownership.  I black out the account number and then in any blank area on the page I write my name, the booking number, the date of the cruise and the ship and throw in a signature for good measure.  The date and ship name are really superfluous when you consider the booking number will give them all that information but it seems to keep them happy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wheezedr said:

Can all be done as a single page.  I print my Schwab account page showing the account with the 100 share ownership.  I black out the account number and then in any blank area on the page I write my name, the booking number, the date of the cruise and the ship and throw in a signature for good measure.  The date and ship name are really superfluous when you consider the booking number will give them all that information but it seems to keep them happy.

I send a three-page document. The first page is a cover letter with my booking info. The second two pages are from my stock brokerage showing my holding. 

17 hours ago, crystalspin said:

Had our advisor purchase 100 shares yesterday. 25% return (without considering any dividends) in 14 months,

I don't know how you can predict what will happen over the next 14 months, return may not matter as much as preservation of capital.

Lets get into the weeds on this one if you may know.

Between CCL and CUK, CCL having one extra vote than CUK, CUK is less expensive by a few bucks and has a slightly higher dividend. 

Does Princess honor both CCL and CUK and is their any reason to prefer one over the other?

CUK trading volume is much less than CCL.

Edited by martinitime1

To add, they recommend CUK..from August.

That's why today I'm going to suggest buying Carnival Corporation -- NYSE: CUK -- as a better alternative to buying Carnival Corporation -- NYSE: CCL.

Both ticker symbols represent basically the same thing -- a cruise line stock currently trading near 52-week lows after lowering guidance last month. One difference between them is that shares of Carnival/CCL confer an extra vote at shareholder meetings, that Carnival/CUK shares don't get. Otherwise, they're pretty much identical. Both "stocks" earned $3 billion over the past year, are pegged for about 10% earnings growth over the next five years, and pay a dividend north of 4% -- twice the market average.  

And yet, Carnival/CCL shares cost more -- $45 and change, versus less than $44 for Carnival/CUK. And as a result, the $2-per-share dividend that both stocks pay works out to a 4.7% dividend yield for Carnival/CUK, versus only a 4.4% yield for Carnival/CCL.

If you like the idea of buying a cruise line stock for 10 times earnings, therefore, and love the idea of collecting twice the dividend yield of the average S&P 500 stock, it seems to me that buying Carnival/CUK instead of Carnival/CCL is an easy choice to make.

2 hours ago, martinitime1 said:

Lets get into the weeds on this one if you may know.

Between CCL and CUK, CCL having one extra vote than CUK, CUK is less expensive by a few bucks and has a slightly higher dividend. 

Does Princess honor both CCL and CUK and is their any reason to prefer one over the other?

CUK trading volume is much less than CCL.

Does Princess honor both CCL and CUK for OBC shareholder benefits?  If yes, why buy CCL then?  BTW, are benefits reported to the IRS?

21 hours ago, jondfk said:

By the way, good old snail mail works just as well as the fax unless you're right up against the sailing date.  After struggling with faxing for a couple of days (that Princess fax number can be busy for hours at a time) I've taken to just mailing in my letter and brokerage statement with appropriate redactions.  The address can be found using the hotline above - shareholder services.

I've also had success handling multiple bookings in a single letter, I just list all of the booking numbers / sailing dates & ships.  I've never had a problem yet.  

So, don't stress, fax if you like.  Use U.S. mail if you prefer.  

I snail mailed my stock info on Dec. 5th and today is Dec. 19 and it never arrived.  I live about 45 miles from the Princess offices.  When I called to check, they told me that I couldn't talk to that department to check if it had been received and that I should "just send it again"  I told them I did not have a fax machine that was working and that I did not feel that I should have to "depend" on the USPS lousy service.  I then emailed to Jan Schwarz and told her that with all the tech that they were spending money on for the Medallion they certainly should be able to accept the stock info as an email attachment.  I got a call from the Booking support and they said that "they are working on accepting attachments to email for this benefit, but that they do not accept it as an attachment YET"  I told them that this is totally unacceptable!  So now I tried FAXZERO and hope it works.

MIAMI, Oct.14, 2019 /PRNewswire/ -- Carnival Corporation & plc (NYSE/LSE: CCL;NYSE: CUK) announced that it has declared a quarterly dividend of $0.50 per share. 

The company's boards of directors approved a record date for the quarterly dividend of November 22, 2019, and a payment date of December 13, 2019.

Holders of Carnival Corporation common stock and Carnival plc ADSs will receive the dividend payable in U.S. dollars. The dividend for Carnival plc ordinary shares will be payable in U.S. dollars or sterling. In the absence of instructions or elections to the contrary, holders of Carnival plc ordinary shares will automatically receive the dividend in sterling. 

Dividends payable in sterling will be converted from U.S. dollars at the exchange rate quoted by Bloomberg (BFIX) at 12 noon London time on December 2, 2019. Holders of Carnival plc ordinary shares wishing to receive their dividend in U.S. dollars or participate in the Carnival plc Dividend Reinvestment Plan must elect to do so by November 22, 2019.

1 hour ago, Pierlesscruisers said:

OBC for stock is not reportable to the IRS but the dividends, of course, are.

Tom

The dividends do not put a dent to normal income. I am retired and during the years selected correctly not to have to pay any tax during retirement. Living the good life. 4-6 cruises a year. Great getting the Carnival owned line OBC and great getting the additional veterans OBC with Princess. Wish all cruises lines did that.

6 hours ago, CRUISEWITHH said:

I got a call from the Booking support and they said that "they are working on accepting attachments to email for this benefit, but that they do not accept it as an attachment YET"  I told them that this is totally unacceptable!  So now I tried FAXZERO and hope it works.

It's not that simple. E-mail is not encrypted, it's not secure.  Anything sent via email is open and in clear text, and can be intercepted. In other words, much like mail, anyone can open the envelope and read the contents, it passes thru many different places. Unlike USPS, it is much more available to people that are not with the USPS. Princess could easily setup a website, like princess.com, which would allow us to upload the information for them to process.

I believe that they've left it a 1990's technology so that it's a pain to follow through with to get the credit, that way less people do it.

I work at a College and we've have the capability to handle secure documents for over 10 years now, and, we're the 2nd oldest College in the US!

On 12/18/2019 at 3:27 PM, crystalspin said:

Had our advisor purchase 100 shares yesterday. 25% return (without considering any dividends) in 14 months,

16 hours ago, pablo222 said:

I don't know how you can predict what will happen over the next 14 months, return may not matter as much as preservation of capital.

I can predict that we have three HAL cruises and two Princess cruises booked in the next 14 months. All over 14-day at $250 OBC apiece. Stock price on Tuesday: ~$4800. OBC (if we take all five cruises): $1250. 

I think my math is OK? I rounded 26% off to 25% in my head...

Edited by crystalspin

Is my math right? I bought 100 shares August 13, 2018 @ 54.95. After multiple cruises and dividends, my stock is worth 46.65. Which is fine because I've gotten 300 in dividends + 850 in OBC with 3 cruises / 600 OBC pending. Right now my breakeven is 43.45 and will ratchet down to 35.45 by this time next year. So far I'm 'even.' Did I do that right?

On 12/18/2019 at 9:10 AM, JennyB1977 said:

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 14 days or longer US $250 

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 7 to 13 days US $100

Onboard credit per stateroom on sailings of 6 days or less US $ 50

Please note that, if sailing Australasian-based cruises, the amount is transferred directly over with zero correction for current exchange rates. For instance, the current exchange rate (checked it just now) is $1 USD = $1.45 AUD. If the form lists a Stockholder benefit of $250 it will be $250 USD for cruises originating in the US or $250 AUD for cruises originating in Australia. I will not be converted to $172 AUD (which would be the current conversion rate). Clearly spelled out but often overlooked so it's something to be aware of when calculating benefits.

• Like 1

On 12/18/2019 at 5:13 PM, twodaywonder said:

I cannot use my fax anymore because I do not have a land line. My PC has a fax in it. Have no idea how to use it. Can I send it that way.? If yes. Guess I need to figure out how to do it. Guess it is sent to a phone number over the internet.

If you are not able to use an online Fax option you can just go to your nearest UPS Store (used to be Mailboxes) and they will Fax the documents for a few dollars.

Hank

12 hours ago, crystalspin said:
  On 12/18/2019 at 3:27 PM, crystalspin said:

I can predict that we have three HAL cruises and two Princess cruises booked in the next 14 months. All over 14-day at $250 OBC apiece. Stock price on Tuesday: ~$4800. OBC (if we take all five cruises): $1250. 

I think my math is OK? I rounded 26% off to 25% in my head...

Since the beginning of 2018, CCL has dropped from 71 to 46, while in general the market has gone up.

No one can predict what the share price will be in 14 months...

My first statement of Sept. 1, 2011 shows my 100 shares worth $3300. My current statement of Nov. 30, 2019 shows the 100 shares worth $4238 and the total after dividends worth $5383. During that time we have taken 18 Princess cruises and received $3600 in OBC. I think it was a good deal,

• Like 3

2 hours ago, billco said:

My first statement of Sept. 1, 2011 shows my 100 shares worth $3300. My current statement of Nov. 30, 2019 shows the 100 shares worth $4238 and the total after dividends worth $5383. During that time we have taken 18 Princess cruises and received $3600 in OBC. I think it was a good deal,

So you've gotten back more than you've paid for it! Sweet

• 1 month later...
7 minutes ago, Neujes said:

Can you combine any OBC from being a stock holder with OBC you get from the future cruise deposit on Princess?

The nice part of Princess is being able to combine multiple OBC sources. We combine FCC, TA, military and stock ownership. Oh, the way the CCL stock is moving today, keep an eye on it for a significant drop in price. We bought ours way back when it was in the high $20's, enjoy the dividends along with the OBC.

Darcy

Edited by WatchHill