Warning - Duty Free is not so Duty Free

alishac

We last entered the US from a cruise and had spent in excess of our combined $1600 exemption.   As we have traveled before we knew to list all items on the customs form.  We were not flagged by the cruise line as we scanned our cards.  Collected our bags and immediate went to the “something to declare” line.    The customs agent reviewed our form and flagged us through.   We did owe duty but it must have been too little for the agent to bother with.   We entered the Miami port in November.   As always,  it is your duty as a citizen or traveler to know the rules and honesty is always the best policy.

Any merchandise purchased at a store on an island could possibly be reported by the on board Shopping Expert.   Those forms that people fill out for the so called warranty is useless.   The only purpose is for the Expert to get his commission and possibly to turn over to customs.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

1 hour ago, miched said:

Any merchandise purchased at a store on an island could possibly be reported by the on board Shopping Expert.   Those forms that people fill out for the so called warranty is useless.   The only purpose is for the Expert to get his commission and possibly to turn over to customs.  

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

That has to be the most absurd thing I've read on this thread so far. You are assuming that the so called Shopping Expert has contacts at every single store in every single port? And that every store would be compelled to fork over information on every single customer? And just how would they know which ship (if any)  each customer was from, when there might be half a dozen in portion any given day? I can't see any store being willing to jump through hoops like that.

Edited by mom says

5 hours ago, sanger727 said:

I guess you didn't read my post. It sounded like a bit part of the holdup was people not having receipts. In one case the store manager had to come down to verify the purchase. Simply telling people when they make the purchase to have their receipts on them at disembarkation may help speed the process up.

They could also have customs forms available and given to the people who they know made purchases in excess of the exemption ahead of time. So they could be filled out and people could know what was expected if they didn't already.

And no, of course it's not the cruise line's responsibility to do this. But it's a very very small thing they could do to help with what seems to be a huge inconvenience. 

Your guess in incorrect, I did read your post. I just didn't agree with it. Since the store manager doesn't know the citizenship of his customer, nor do the other employees of the on board shop, it is neither their job, nor their responsibility to inform passengers of their limits. In the Celebrity today on the last night before disembarkation the following was included and although the math in paragraph 2 is off by $400 it is pretty clear what is expected.

image.thumb.png.b3625d38ced32923332e1a857fb17d50.png

1 hour ago, mom says said:

That has to be the most absurd thing I've read on this thread so far. You are assuming that the so called Shopping Expert has contacts at every single store in every single port? And that every store would be compelled to fork over information on every single customer? And just how would they know which ship (if any)  each customer was from, when there might be half a dozen in portion any given day? I can't see any store being willing to jump through hoops like that.

Reread my post.  They could receive it from the Expert Shopper that is on board  every cruise giving shopping advice and telling you to list everything you purchased on their form to get  their guarantee.    

When the cruise is over they give copies to Customs.   

That is how.  

To avoid that don’t fill out their useless guarantee form. 

Happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌅

Edited by miched

So since so many here have so much insight into the customs form I have a different question about it.  In February we sail on the Solstice out of Auckland and at one of our ports the last stop is a sheep ranch where we will see sheep sheering. So does that mean I have to fill out the customs form on return to US as I have visited a ranch?  Thinking of canceling the tour to avoid the hassle. Of course it will be different as we are re entering via airline vs cruise ship. And we have Global Entry. After doing only Caribbean cruises and not having to fill out the form as we've not needed to, I'm not sure how this works in this situation. 

2 hours ago, youwash said:

we will see sheep sheering. So does that mean I have to fill out the customs form on return to US as I have visited a ranch?  

https://www.google.com/search?q=US+Customs+declaration+form&oq=US+Customs+declaration+form&aqs=chrome..69i57.13766j0j7&client=tablet-android-samsung&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#imgrc=XCPSBc4zs2HydM:

See #12 on the form. Not sure why you would cancel an excursion just to avoid filling out the form ( which would likely be given out on the flight before landing.).

Edited by mom says

14 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

Your guess in incorrect, I did read your post. I just didn't agree with it. Since the store manager doesn't know the citizenship of his customer, nor do the other employees of the on board shop, it is neither their job, nor their responsibility to inform passengers of their limits. In the Celebrity today on the last night before disembarkation the following was included and although the math in paragraph 2 is off by $400 it is pretty clear what is expected.

image.thumb.png.b3625d38ced32923332e1a857fb17d50.png

Then I suspect you understand my point and are simply choosing to ignore it because you disagree. Which is fine. In life there are businesses who do the bare minimum and businesses who go above and beyond to make a good experience for their customers. The businesses who go above and beyond for me are the ones I come back to again and again. I suspect this practice will cost celebrity in the long run.  I will certainly never make purchases above $800 on a celebrity cruise after reading this post and I suspect others who read it or who have been through this process, or who have heard about it from other people will also not spend that money. If they did what they could to make the process streamlined and faster then likely this process wouldn't even get talked about and more people would not be concerned about making a large purchase on their ship.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, youwash said:

So does that mean I have to fill out the customs form on return to US as I have visited a ranch?

Unless you are going to participate in the sheep sheering, not just observe it, your response to Question 12 would be "no". Attending has no bearing on your need to fill out a form, or lack thereof, so go and enjoy the excursion.

1456584443_ScreenShot2019-12-20at11_46_25AM.thumb.png.d8a33ebfd7108ba6aec4b1f2061530ad.png

16 minutes ago, sanger727 said:

Then I suspect you understand my point and are simply choosing to ignore it because you disagree. Which is fine. In life there are businesses who do the bare minimum and businesses who go above and beyond to make a good experience for their customers. The businesses who go above and beyond for me are the ones I come back to again and again. I suspect this practice will cost celebrity in the long run.  I will certainly never make purchases above $800 on a celebrity cruise after reading this post and I suspect others who read it or who have been through this process, or who have heard about it from other people will also not spend that money. If they did what they could to make the process streamlined and faster then likely this process wouldn't even get talked about and more people would not be concerned about making a large purchase on their ship.

The first paragraph of the Celebrity Today that I quoted above states "A returning resident is eligible for the $800 duty-free personal exemption every 31 days. You do not need to fill out a customs decleration (sic) form if you have not exceeded this limit." If a passenger reads their X Today, then they should be aware that if they have exceeded this limit they need to fill out the form and have their receipts ready.  If they don't read the Celebrity Today, then I think the responsibility is on the passenger.  I really don't think there is any more X (or any other type of conveyance) can do for you in the form of extra customer service. As far as X notifying CBP of large purchases made on board, I would bet that is something that CBP is requiring of X and they don't have a choice rather than they are in cahoots with CBP to delay and surprise unsuspecting passengers. In addition, if the returning resident has, even once before traveled out of the country, they should be aware that they need to keep their receipts handy when going through Customs and should also be aware of what their exemptions are and whether the exemption was exceeded. I have exceeded my duty free limits while on cruises and on other travels. Once you are in the hands of CBP there is nothing that any form of conveyance can do to expedite the process. CBP agents are employees of the US government and they proceed according to their own rules and time schedules. If you think X should behave differently that's perfectly okay, we'll just agree to disagree. 

And it's not just the cruiseline that will report you to Customs. Have you ever wondered why the shopkeepers in port always want to know what ship you are on? I've been told that they report large purchases, as well. Back when we had to fill out the customs forms, I always kept that in an envelope with all of my receipts. I still keep the receipts with me, when I disembark -- along with a running tally of any purchases that count toward our customs duty-free limit.

1 minute ago, wwcruisers said:

And it's not just the cruiseline that will report you to Customs. Have you ever wondered why the shopkeepers in port always want to know what ship you are on? I've been told that they report large purchases, as well. Back when we had to fill out the customs forms, I always kept that in an envelope with all of my receipts. I still keep the receipts with me, when I disembark -- along with a running tally of any purchases that count toward our customs duty-free limit.

We keep our passports in leather RFID protected jackets. The jackets have a place for GE cards, and credit cards and another spot for receipts. Each time we make a purchase, large or small, the receipts go in the jacket. That way the receipts are all together with my travel documents and are easily accessed if I need to fill out a form and list (and document) our purchases. Easy, peasy.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Life Buoy said:

Crystal sends a notice to your cabin a day or two before disembarkation informing you that they report any sale more than $800. The notice said  that they are simply complying with the US Customs reporting requirement.

For cruise ships disembarking in Canada, CBSA has very similar reporting requirements. Related passenger information "is to be submitted in the MS Excel spreadsheet format to the CBSA...The CBSA will advise the cruise ship of any passengers that are required for an interview and/or payment of duty and taxes. The cruise ship will ensure every person identified by the CBSA is mustered on arrival at the final port of disembarkation."

7 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

Good post,..

Absolutely,  they do send the report...esp if from one of the ship's touted stores!

Best bet..keep  total purchases under the limit and save all receipts!

And hope you have not inadvertantly committed a no no!

We also keep meds in orig containers with Rx proofs,..

Shop owners would have no reason or requirement to report anything to US customs.  Why would they.  Not good for business.  I can see a report for commission to the ship shopping person.

My experience has been the opposite.  The shop owners tell us how to not pay duty and always offer to ship the watch box back to the US.  (We declare the items)

• Like 1

If you are purchasing an expensive item on the ship, eg, a refurbished Rolex for $8500, the shops will circumvent this reporting rule.  If you use your personal charge card and NOT place on the shipboard card, US Customs will not be notified.  They get their info from X based on charges to your Ship Card.

Best advice is to buy off the ship from a non recommended store.  They will let you take the purchased item with you and mail the box to your address from the USA once someone From the store travels to Miami to buy merchandise.

The shops will tell you that anything above the customs limit will be reported to US Customs by Celebrity.  That is a point of contention with me.

10 hours ago, Luvcrusn said:

The first paragraph of the Celebrity Today that I quoted above states "A returning resident is eligible for the $800 duty-free personal exemption every 31 days. You do not need to fill out a customs decleration (sic) form if you have not exceeded this limit." If a passenger reads their X Today, then they should be aware that if they have exceeded this limit they need to fill out the form and have their receipts ready.  

9 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

And it's not just the cruiseline that will report you to Customs. Have you ever wondered why the shopkeepers in port always want to know what ship you are on? 

Two great responses.  We should all be aware of any laws that pertain to our cruises.

The reporting of large purchases is not new.  I was informed i needed to pay duty on a purchase 10 years ago as we debarked the ship.  But, I knew I had exceeded the limit, and was expecting it.  🙂

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

The shops will tell you that anything above the customs limit will be reported to US Customs by Celebrity.  That is a point of contention with me.

What is your point of contention? That the purchase is reported, or that you have to declare the item? If you would declare the item anyway, why do you care if it is reported?

• Thanks 1

I do not agree with the mandatory reporting.  When similar items are purchased off the ship there is no reporting.  I like a level playing field.  Through the years cruising I have befriended high end watch buyers and I doubt they have ever declared them to customs.  Buying on the ship leaves the cruiser no choice but to declare.  I am not a fan of Big Brother.

Then there are the b2b cruisers who park  their vehicle in the Terminal lots and when the ship is cleared and the Customs Personnel vacate the terminal, they walk off the ship with backpacks filled with cigarettes and expensive jewelry purchased in the Islands and unload into their trunks. Then use their transit pass to reboard. It happens very frequently and customs, although aware of this still has no presence once the ship is cleared of debarking cruisers.  This also bothers me big time.

I never thought of the items purchased on the ship as duty free.  I never saw them as advertised as such.  I always declared them if required on paper work.  I never saw the advertisements of them being duty free.  What am I missing?  Of course I never popped the exemption limit either.

Edited by NMTraveller

2 hours ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

Unless someone is trying to cheat the limit I really don't see the problem here. I would bet X is required to do this reporting, otherwise it would be just a bunch of cumbersome paperwork that they wouldn't bother with. Do you object to an employer reporting your income? They do it because that is required.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, wwcruisers said:

Have you ever wondered why the shopkeepers in port always want to know what ship you are on?

Not all of them ask.  I think it's usually just the "recommended" (by the ship) shops who ask, probably because they get a kickback from the ship for sending you to that shop.

10 hours ago, Seville2Cabo said:

Shop owners would have no reason or requirement to report anything to US customs.  Why would they.  Not good for business.  I can see a report for commission to the ship shopping person.

My experience has been the opposite.  The shop owners tell us how to not pay duty and always offer to ship the watch box back to the US.  (We declare the items)

Same; when we have purchased items from a non-ship recommended store, there is no asking us what ship we're on.

11 hours ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

If you are purchasing an expensive item on the ship, eg, a refurbished Rolex for $8500, the shops will circumvent this reporting rule.  If you use your personal charge card and NOT place on the shipboard card, US Customs will not be notified.  They get their info from X based on charges to your Ship Card.

Best advice is to buy off the ship from a non recommended store.  They will let you take the purchased item with you and mail the box to your address from the USA once someone From the store travels to Miami to buy merchandise.

So you seem to be advocating bypassing the US CBP reporting?  And cheating the limit?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, spencerdrivecruiser said:

I think you are wrong on the personal credit card. I purchased an item above the limit on Edge. They requested that we use our regular credit card... vs seapass. I asked at the front desk for the customs form and was told that this was not necessary and that when we departed the ship a member of the crew would take us through customs. And yes when we departed there was a buz and we proceeded with the crew member. So they had a record despite using our own card. My only issue is that I believe the limit has been lowered. I thought it used to be higher.