Allure food bad?

Vitesacd

Can anyone who has recently sailed on the Allure comment on the food quality in both the MDR and Windjammer? I have heard tons of people complaining that the food is not edible in both places, but I am skeptical to believe those statements.

OMG,,, its absolutely horrible. I'll give you 10 cents on the dollar to transfer to me.😉

If I say the food is great, does that mean you'll enjoy it also? Not necessarily. If I say it's disgusting, does that mean it really is? Not necessarily.

I would think being skeptical is a wise thing when reading food reviews.

BTW, I was on the Allure a couple of months ago and I did not go hungry.

Edited by klfrodo
  • Like 2

We were just on the Allure in September. There were 5 of us, 1 newby, 2 Diamond, 2 Diamond plus. I’m sharing that part so you can see that 4 of us have sailed quite a few times NOT to sound snobbish.  Our service and food in the MDR were all good.  The lobster on formal night was a 10. We only did breakfast a few times in the windjammer and it was fine.  We ate at other venues throughout the week.  None of us had any complaints.  I hope you enjoy your cruise. 😊

• Like 3

Just sailed Allure for Thanksgiving. Can't speak to specialty dining but we were very happy with all our dinners and the desserts in MDR and had very good service there. Found a lot of good lunch options in the windjammer with usually a good interesting Indian food option with each meal, our daughter really liked our breakfasts in windjammer. Lunch desserts were nothing special. All in all we were very happy with the food. Just our $ 0.02

The food is fine , you will find something to eat without any problems .

If you don't like something served to you in the dining room, just order something else , and they will happily

bring it to you. The staff is very accommodating .

Enjoy your cruise and don't worry about the food .

I was on the Allure a few months ago and was sailing solo, so I ate my meals in the Windjammer and was pleased with the fare.  One note, the first hour the windjammer is open it can be a zoo, so it is best to go after 7 p.m. to avoid the crowds. 

23 hours ago, Vitesacd said:

Can anyone who has recently sailed on the Allure comment on the food quality in both the MDR and Windjammer? I have heard tons of people complaining that the food is not edible in both places, but I am skeptical to believe those statements.

The food is fine. We cruise a lot and found the food in the MDR on Allure fine. 

Here is the deal. You have to set your expectations at an appropriate level. The ship prepares and serves to 25,000 to 30,000 meals a day. They are not going to cook 30,000 meals to order. Food is mass produced, and held for service. Especially in the fixed time main dining room dinners where all the meals are served at the same time.Your local fine dining restaurant may do a couple hundred covers a night. And cook everything to order. You’re not going to get that on a cruise ship. Even in the specialty restaurants. 

Some things will hold better than others. That salmon will probably dry out if held too long in a hot box. That dinner salad, prepared early in the morning and held in a chill box all day will probably be ok, but not like something assembled fresh. 

You’re not paying for a grill room on Cunard where the maitre d will come and cook your dinner and dessert table side for you on request. 

• Like 1

We were just on the Allure in October and it was my first Royal Caribbean cruise.  I have to say the service and entertainment was top notch  but the food was just okay. This was the first cruise that I did not gain weight but I also didn’t go hungry.  With that being said we are booked on the Harmony in November.  The food is the only thing I can say could use improvement.  

Off the Allure a week ago...both the MDR and the Windjammer were top notch.  The food was delicious and the staff could NOT have been better.  You will find that someone, somewhere will always have something to complain about....I can say...we had NOTHING to complain about on our Allure cruise.  Go and enjoy and if by the "small" chance there is something you are NOT happy with....just mention it kindly and the RCCL staff will take care of you.  My best advise....JUST ENJOY AND JUDGE FOR YOURSELF.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

We've been on 15 cruises. Not newbies, just not as accomplished as others.

The ONLY time I have found the food lacking was when I picked up a severe head cold on board and nothing tasted good. 

It didn't look good, didn't taste good. But you know how head colds are. 

Other than that we've had no problems with the food. 

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 2:41 PM, Vitesacd said:

Food is subjective. Just because I like something it doesn't necessarily equate to you liking something. And in addition to palates I can't guarantee that the meals I had on one week will be exactly the same as the meals you have on your week. So I can tell you that when I went on Allure in 2018 the food was pretty good but not the Best I Ever Had. I didn't like some things, but like an adult I chose not to get those things again. 

On 12/24/2019 at 5:07 PM, bouhunter said:

Relax and stop reading reviews😋  The food will be fine.  Anyone who writes a review saying it's "not edible" is an idiot and it's a waste of time reading further.

On 12/25/2019 at 8:43 AM, 3CatsInMA said:

Whenever somebody proclaims that the food is/was "inedible", I immediately stop wasting my time reading their rant.

The only time I'd say things are "inedible", it's because someone decided to imbue cilantro in every part of the dish. And even then, it's tongue in cheek, because while cilantro is a vile weed that should be fired into the sun, I recognize that some people like it and have no issues with it - but they should.

Regardless, I assume that anyone who doesn't have an allergy that is seriously proclaiming cruise food to be "inedible" is probably also the type of person that leaves a 1 star Yelp review because the food came to the table 2 minutes later than they expected.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Doug & Linda said:

if by the "small" chance there is something you are NOT happy with....just mention it kindly and the RCCL staff will take care of you. 

So many times people write unfavorable reviews about issues that could easily be addressed if they would simply speak up!

We sailed Allure in June and even though we rarely have dinner in the MDR, I don't know how people can say the food is inedible.  I think it sounds much better than it tastes, but I believe most of the seasoning they use is just salt and pepper.  

I realize that cooking for so many people, not everyone is going to be happy.  I think they ships cook for the median and heavily seasoned US food doesn't fit into that line of thinking.  I feel the food is like banquet food.  Those who are foodies may think the food is not good, and others who don't cook much or eat out at better restaurants may think the food is great.

I don't see how anyone can complain about the breakfast foods, especially those in the WJ.  There are so many choices and many people eat the same foods every day at home.  Saying there is no choice and everything is the same every day just cracks me up. 

Just keep in mind what I may think is wonderful, you may hate and vice versa.

• Like 1

On 12/24/2019 at 2:41 PM, Vitesacd said:

Show me any review that someone says that the food isn't good enough for them

When I had the beef tenderloin on Allure last June, it was the best entree I've EVER had on any cruise. 

I'm going on Allure again this May, and I hope beef tenderloin is on the menu again!

The only dish I didn't like was the minestrone soup. It was a stew consistency, rather than "soupy". That was really the only item I was truly disappointed with. 

My judgment is based on my past experience with similar items. For example, I've had minestrone many times in my lifetime, and the Allure minestrone was a failure. 

There may have been other items I didn't like the taste of, but that's not saying the quality was bad, but more of my personal taste. 

Edited by MLBFan24