Wine quality with the Classic Beverage Pkg

NC Fred

DH and I have upgraded to premium for our upcoming cruise (our very first with Celebrity!) because we ARE self-admitted wine snobs and the classic package offerings that I've seen while reading these boards won't be sufficient for us.  The premium package still doesn't really cut it, but hey, we'll sacrifice a bit since we'll be on a fab vacation.  😉

• Like 1

Where are you cruising?

One of the better options I have found is to bring a bottle back on board while in port.

If you are sailing the Western Med, Australia, New Zealand, even South America I would pick up some of the local wines vs drink package wines.

Edited by NMTraveller

4 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Where are you cruising?

One of the better options I have found is to bring a bottle back on board while in port.

If you are sailing the Western Med, Australia, New Zealand, even South America I would pick up some of the local wines vs drink package wines.

Are you saying, other than the embarkation port you were able to drink the wine on the ship you purchase and brought back on board from the ports-you visited?  

10 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Where are you cruising?

Embarkation port is Italy and debark in Barcelona with 2 nights pre and post cruise. The itinerary is Italy France Monaco and Spain.   I didn't think you could bring back wine from a port for onboard consumption.

38 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

Embarkation port is Italy and debark in Barcelona with 2 nights pre and post cruise. The itinerary is Italy France Monaco and Spain.   I didn't think you could bring back wine from a port for onboard consumption.

We have never had a problem.  When we run it through the scanners they tend to notice that it is wine and not hard alcohol.  

At one port on one cruise they were going to check it,  but then they just let us through after a call or so.  I think that there was a miscommunication that it was wine.  I even saw our cruise coordinator bringing a bottle of wine back from an excursion.

Some of the excursions on your itinerary will go to wine caves and vineyards.  

France and Spain will have some of your better wines.  Taste and enjoy.  Much better than having the same wine every night.  We always take 2 bottles back on the plane.

Edited by NMTraveller

We drink primarily reds and I am surprised that anyone who drinks anything more than the occasional glass of wine claims to be happy with the wine selection on the classic package.  We always have the premium package.  But I also think the OP should wait until they are onboard  before deciding to upgrade -- wine preferences are very subjective and they might be one of the few happy with the classic selection.

3 hours ago, njcanuck said:

One night my wife asked for a wine she had had in Cellar Masters, and was told it wasn't available but that the wine they had was just as good (according to her it wasn't)

This happened to me on a recent cruise. When the sommelier said he couldn’t get the wine I had at Cellar Masters (in package) I said I would go get a glass of the wine from CM myself. He said wait a second, went to the phone, then said they were able to find a bottle after all. 

One of my biggest disappointments with Celebrity is when I discovered on our last cruise that they had ceased their relationship with Wente.   I am a member of the Wente wine club and enjoy their wines very much.

I have a bottle of the Cabernet Sauvignon from Wente bottled exclusively by Wente.

4 hours ago, little britain said:

Happy to see they have a dry French rose, and not that ghastly Zinfandel stuff. 

Have to agree that Zin was pretty awful

I think it was from Spain. I'll have the premium beverage package so may upgrade the odd time per glass.  Good way to use my obc.

Hoping they have Spanish Rioja (Gran Reserva)  or deep bodied French Reds and New Zealand Marlborough on the Edge in a few weeks.  As I am not a big fan of Californian  or South American wines.  I have the classic package but will be willing to upgrade if these are on premium or remain on classic and buy bottles in MDR.

We have select dining so will be in different rooms each night will they be able to retrieve my bt the next day in a different room.  I wont have the whole bt as DH will just drink what the classic has lol  

1 hour ago, fragilek said:

Hoping they have Spanish Rioja (Gran Reserva)  or deep bodied French Reds and New Zealand Marlborough on the Edge in a few weeks.  As I am not a big fan of Californian  or South American wines.  I have the classic package but will be willing to upgrade if these are on premium or remain on classic and buy bottles in MDR.

We have select dining so will be in different rooms each night will they be able to retrieve my bt the next day in a different room.  I wont have the whole bt as DH will just drink what the classic has lol  

It doesn't matter where you dine they will be able to bring your bottle to you.  If its a red I would not keep for more than a couple days as it will go flat.

• Like 1

On 12/31/2019 at 10:27 PM, NMTraveller said:

Yes.

You were lucky.   Typically it's only at the embarkation port and only two 750 ml bottles per storeroom.  I guess theirs an exception to every rule. I've leaned over the years on CC not everyone's experiences are the same. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, fragilek said:

You'll not find any Gran Reserva Rioja available by the glass onboard I'm afraid. I doubt you'll find a Reserva and maybe not even a Crianza. Generic tempranillo might be available though. If you're prepared to buy wine by the bottle you might have a little more luck. 

The wine selections are aimed very much at a US market with brands familiar to Americans and the truth is Rioja isn't big in the states which is a shame because it offers superb value for money quality wise when compared to cabernet or pinot. 

They offer an entry level Villa Maria savvy blanc from Marlborough in the premium package. You can also uplift to Cloudy Bay when available, though from memory the cost per glass was about the same as a bottle from our local wine merchant! 

The harsh reality is that the wines offered by the glass on the classic package are low end products and whilst most are perfectly drinkable those who enjoy wine are likely to enjoy the better offerings available in the premium package and will appreciate the lager range available to them.  But..... the wines in the premium package are only a small step up from those in classic. True wine snobs are likely to purchase by the bottle or bring their own bottles and pay the corkage fee, which can be a fraction of what the ship would charge by the bottle if you were to purchase onboard. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, Moby Jones said:

You'll not find any Gran Reserva Rioja available by the glass onboard I'm afraid. I doubt you'll find a Reserva and maybe not even a Crianza. Generic tempranillo might be available though. If you're prepared to buy wine by the bottle you might have a little more luck. 

The wine selections are aimed very much at a US market with brands familiar to Americans and the truth is Rioja isn't big in the states which is a shame because it offers superb value for money quality wise when compared to cabernet or pinot. 

They offer an entry level Villa Maria savvy blanc from Marlborough in the premium package. You can also uplift to Cloudy Bay when available, though from memory the cost per glass was about the same as a bottle from our local wine merchant! 

The harsh reality is that the wines offered by the glass on the classic package are low end products and whilst most are perfectly drinkable those who enjoy wine are likely to enjoy the better offerings available in the premium package and will appreciate the lager range available to them.  But..... the wines in the premium package are only a small step up from those in classic. True wine snobs are likely to purchase by the bottle or bring their own bottles and pay the corkage fee, which can be a fraction of what the ship would charge by the bottle if you were to purchase onboard. 

I am willing to buy a bottle as long as price not outrageous (comparable with restaurant prices I would be fine with).  I might do the wine taste experience early on the sailing and see if I find one I like that's available by the glass.  It's a shame they don't do Cloudy bay's little sister Oyster Bay as its always good value for money although not in the league as Cloudy but for me still a safe bet.

Edited by fragilek
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, fragilek said:

I am willing to buy a bottle as long as price not outrageous (comparable with restaurant prices I would be fine with).  I might do the wine taste experience early on the sailing and see if I find one I like that's available by the glass.  It's a shame they don't do Cloudy bay's little sister Oyster Bay as its always good value for money although not in the league as Cloudy but for me still a safe bet.

I've skipped the wine tastings on the last 2 cruises as the prices have gone up and I didn't care for the offerings.  They were all wines from the classic package and low end. I wonder if there is a way to find out what is being tasted before signing up.  They ran out of a red cab from Argentina which I had not tried but found a substitution. It was actually pretty good but that's 1 out of 12