Wine quality with the Classic Beverage Pkg

NC Fred

We have a group of 6 seniors cruising on Celebrity for the first time next month. The Classic Package was one of  the amenities we received with our cruise. My question has to do with the quality of the wines offered with this program. We all 6 are fairly sophisticated, but by no means snobbish, wine drinkers. Big Cabs and Oaked Chardonnays ( mostly CA, WA) are to our liking. Will we be OK with the selections offered within the Classic Pkg? 

I can only speak to the Cabernets as I never do Chardonnay.  IMHO you will likely not  be satisfied.  I am not a big wine snob, but truthfully even the Premium options are not all that 'premium' although they are satisfactory.  

That said, Celebrity is a great cruise line and I'm sure you will all have a great time.

• Like 3

I respectfully disagree with you, Phoenix dream.  With occasional exceptions, we only drink cabs, shiraz, red zin and malbec.  On all of our Celebrity cruises, we had the classic package and were completely happy with it.  Some of our traveling companions are white wine drinkers and I was told that the pinot grigio and the rose` were very nice.

OP, after you've tried the classic package offerings, You can bump up to premium on the ship if you aren't happy with the classic.

Also remember that you'll only pay the difference in cost plus gratuity if you order a glass outside the classic package, not the full price.  

Edited by jkgourmet
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My wife likes her wine and we drink a fair bit of the stuff. She's fine with the classic package.  I usually have the Premium and honestly it's not much of an improvement over the classic and I actually prefer some of the classic package wines over the premium. Pinot Noir for instance, I like the classic pino better than the cherry pie or what ever it's called that you get in the premium. I did like the Conundrum in the premium package.

Edited by TFLG
  • Like 1

Check it out once you get on board.  Some may like what they offer, and others may not.   If it's not to your particular  liking, just upgrade.  I've always upgraded from Classic to Premium, basically for the wines.  🍷

• Thanks 1

There is a better than even chance that you will not be familiar with most of the wines on the package. My suggestion is to advise your sommelier that you have the classic package and leave it up to him or her to select the wine. Upon sampling if it is not to your liking ask the sommelier to change it. He/she will happily do that for you until you find something that meets your palate. Don't be afraid to tell your sommelier if you don't like the wine. Their job is to make your dining a pleasurable experience. If you end up with a Premium wine and you don't get charged for it ensure the sommelier is looked after.

We enjoy a nice Pinot Noir with dinner and the Castle Rock brand of pinot is not that flash by the Kendall Jackson Pinot Noir is top line and its a premium wine. Sometimes we have had to pay the $1 extra per glass or $10 per bottle but it is worth the difference. On most occasions we haven't been charged

We had the premium package and we always spent extra out of pocket for the wines that we liked.  Your mileage may vary.

Look at the available wines on the list and see if they will suit your needs.  

Wine is very subjective.  

Edited by NMTraveller

3 hours ago, helen haywood said:

You really should wait until you are onboard and see if you like the Classic Package offerings.  The wine selection will change from ship to ship and one sailing to another.

I agree with waiting until boarding the ship and checking the availability of Classic Package offerings.  In addition, the selection has varied from bar to bar.  A wine may be found that is only a dollar or two more than allowed in the Classic Package.  Paying the difference may be less expensive than upgrading to the Premium Package.  

9 hours ago, Beanb41 said:

We enjoy a nice Pinot Noir with dinner and the Castle Rock brand of pinot is not that flash by the Kendall Jackson Pinot Noir is top line and its a premium wine. Sometimes we have had to pay the $1 extra per glass or $10 per bottle but it is worth the difference. On most occasions we haven't been charged

We like Meiomi much better.  😊

• Like 2

9 hours ago, helen haywood said:

You really should wait until you are onboard and see if you like the Classic Package offerings.  The wine selection will change from ship to ship and one sailing to another.

Fully agree.  You can update to the premium package later if after a day or two if the selection available in the classic package is not to your liking.  Also remember that wine choices can vary by bar.  Sometimes the Cab Sav available in one bar is much nicer than another (at least that is what I’ve found).

We also have upgraded to the premium package every time for more wine choices and I’ve also paid an extra couple dollars to try some even better wines . We were in the sky suite last time and our Sommelier Anna was great for recommending other wines that cost were above the premium package. Most nights I just told her what I was having for dinner and told her to pair it with whatever she thought was best!

Wine is subjective and I'm sure there are drinkable wines on the Classic but wine by the glass are fairly limited.

Here's a copy of Blu wine list -   It will give you an idea of your choices on both Classic and Premium

Blu Wine List_Page_01 - Copy.jpg

Blu Wine List_Page_03 - Copy.jpg

Blu Wine List_Page_05 - Copy.jpg

Blu Wine List_Page_06 - Copy.jpg

Blu Wine List_Page_07 - Copy.jpg

Blu Wine List_Page_08 - Copy.jpg

Blu Wine List_Page_09 - Copy.jpg

Blu Wine List_Page_10 - Copy.jpg

Blu Wine List_Page_11 - Copy.jpg

Blu Wine List_Page_12 - Copy.jpg

Blu Wine List_Page_13 - Copy.jpg

Blu Wine List_Page_15 - Copy.jpg

Blu Wine List_Page_17 - Copy.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, jkgourmet said:

I respectfully disagree with you, Phoenix dream.  With occasional exceptions, we only drink cabs, shiraz, red zin and malbec.  On all of our Celebrity cruises, we had the classic package and were completely happy with it.  Some of our traveling companions are white wine drinkers and I was told that the pinot grigio and the rose` were very nice.

OP, after you've tried the classic package offerings, You can bump up to premium on the ship if you aren't happy with the classic.

Also remember that you'll only pay the difference in cost plus gratuity if you order a glass outside the classic package, not the full price.  

Maybe I am more of a wine snob than I thought LOL

Without hesitation, if nicer wines are important to your group, then the premium package is a must.  We always upgrade, especially with OBC.  You'll find a wider selection in Cellar Masters... along with a knowledgeable somm.

5 hours ago, Texed said:

We like Meiomi much better.  😊

I agree the Meiomi pinot is very good. Did not care for the Cherry Pie too much.  Not a fan of Castle Rock or Kendall Jackson wines whether its Cabs or Pinot. I was recently gifted a bottle of Beringer reserve in my cabin and it was excellent.  

3 minutes ago, drakes2 said:

I agree the Meiomi pinot is very good. Did not care for the Cherry Pie too much.  Not a fan of Castle Rock or Kendall Jackson wines whether its Cabs or Pinot. I was recently gifted a bottle of Beringer reserve in my cabin and it was excellent.  

Another option is to pay up to Caymus Cab.  A very nice wine.  Also, if you like a blend, the Conundrum is from the same vineyard as Caymus.  😊

• Like 1

I think that Celebrities have really degraded the wine selection (at least by the glass) over the last few years.  It was one of my big complaints from our last cruise.  We've always had the premium package and are not terrible wine snobs (average about $20/bottle)

Previously the Solemner (in Blu) would learn my taste and offer me a number  of pretty good (and different) wines (almost always off menu i.e. not the wine of the night).  I don't know if he was going of book and not following the script, but he always seemed to have a few good bottles chosen for the night.  I think he was a real Solemner, not just a "wine server"

The last two cruise we have have been much poorer.  Two cruises ago I asked for a Malbec one night in the main dining room, The Solemner told me they didn't have any.  After I had told her I had had it the night before in Tuscan grill, she graciously "snuck me" a glass since the next table over had asked for a Malbec and only had the classic package (while I had premium).  She apparently was embarrassed to serve me a better wine than the next table over even though I had paid for the premium package.

(It was a pretty good Malbec, but unfortunately the current Malbec is very blah, unremarkable)

On this last cruise the Solemner showed little of any interest in doing anything other than pouring the wine of the night.  The Decoy was OK and it was the best wine I think I had all week, but the selection was pretty lack luster.  One night my wife asked for a wine she had had in Cellar Masters, and was told it wasn't available but that the wine they had was just as good (according to her it wasn't).

It seems they have a very limited selection to choose from. (as listed in the menu's above) and deviation from the script is no longer an option.

22 minutes ago, Texed said:

Another option is to pay up to Caymus Cab.  A very nice wine.  Also, if you like a blend, the Conundrum is from the same vineyard as Caymus.  😊

I actually just bought the half bottle of Caymus last week since they always come out at Xmas time. Still expensive at $54 Canadian but enjoyed it with a roast beef dinner I made. Since I have the Premium package on my upcoming cruise thought I would pay the upcharge per glass to try something new. Cab suggestions would be appreciated. 😀