End of Great British Sailaway ?

bee-ess

Just now, Bazrat said:

Remarkable all these people heard all these war time songs but not one was brave enough to complain at the time.

Actually The Music Man is not a war time song, but I accept it is rather jingoistic with dambusters and match of the day elements especially aimed at Germans.

5 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

Remarkable all these people heard all these war time songs but not one was brave enough to complain at the time.

I did complain to the guy running the choir, who was also playing at the Sailaway.  He agreed with me, but said it wasn't his call.

16 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Yes you have, the GBS has always been the last one before the return to Southampton. There are others throughout the cruise but the GBS had patriotic songs and flag waving.

You miss the point.

It is the case that the "Great British" Sailaway will be replaced with another type of sailaway that has no "British" element to it?

2 minutes ago, jeanlyon said:

I did complain to the guy running the choir, who was also playing at the Sailaway.  He agreed with me, but said it wasn't his call.

you did not mention on any of your posts that you complained but you would have assumed it was his call if he was running it

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

Actually The Music Man is not a war time song, but I accept it is rather jingoistic with dambusters and match of the day elements especially aimed at Germans.

You could analyse all the music to death. I agree the war time songs are a bit overt and very old fashioned but other songs can be just as bad eg Delilah - murder, letter to America - the highland clearances.

2 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

You miss the point.

It is the case that the "Great British" Sailaway will be replaced with another type of sailaway that has no "British" element to it?

But, you were linking this reduction of Britishness with lots of other so called  British reductions, most of which are not disappearing at all.

1 minute ago, terrierjohn said:

But, you were linking this reduction of Britishness with lots of other so called  British reductions, most of which are not disappearing at all.

So you ARE confirming that it does represent a reduction or eradication of Britishness from the sailaway event.

That being the case it is absolutely not the least bit unsound to forward project that other elements of "Britishness" on P&O cruises will equally be eradicated.

4 minutes ago, Eglesbrech said:

You could analyse all the music to death. I agree the war time songs are a bit overt and very old fashioned but other songs can be just as bad eg Delilah - murder, letter to America - the highland clearances.

Yes I guess Tom Jones should have issued Delilah just before Geen Green Grass of Home.😉

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

So you ARE confirming that it does represent a reduction or eradication of Britishness from the sailaway event.

That being the case it is absolutely not the least bit unsound to forward project that other elements of "Britishness" on P&O cruises will equally be eradicated.

Not really, the GBS is going to help reduce plastic waste, and appease those who dont want overt displays of patriotism.

Edited by terrierjohn

On 2/20/2020 at 3:29 PM, wowzz said:

Not sure why you felt the need to post this on a dormant thread.

Anyway, it isn't a rumour,  the GB sailaway has been replaced with a Sailaway Party,  which mainly comprises those awful songs from the 60s and 70s that you hoped never to hear again. 

Not dormant anymore wowzz. It was just resting waiting for spring to arrive early, and it's certainly up and running again. 😆

Edited by Adawn47
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

Not really, the GBS is going to help reduce plastic waste, and appease those who dont want overt displays of patriotism.

Sorry but can you cut to the chase instead of dancing around the issue.

Plastic flag removal is a complete side issue.

Simple question, Is or Is not the "Great British" sailaway event to be replaced with another sailaway event that has no British element to it?

25 minutes ago, Bazrat said:

you did not mention on any of your posts that you complained but you would have assumed it was his call if he was running it

No, he was running the choir.  He was part of the Aurora Orchestra.  He was simply playing at the Sailaway and we were asked to sing.  The Ents Manager runs the sailaway with his troupe dancing to all the numbers before we started the White Cliffs, Jerusalem etc.  And the music before we sang was absolutely deafening.

Edited by jeanlyon

As per my previous question to TerrierJohn I think it's very important here to make the clear distinction between :

1.   Removing plastic flags from a pollution perspective and

2.   P&O Cruises actually seeking to remove the "British Element" of the sailaway

The latter is extremely concerning and for me contributes to an increasing assault on British Nationality by the establishment and wider authoritarian collectives such as the EU.   We should never feel guilty or ashamed to be British or to declare ourselves thus and we should oppose any and all attempts by the various "powers that be" to try to eradicate our Nationality or indeed the very concept of Nationality itself.

P&O Cruises has years and years of British heritage, sails predominantly from Britain and is predominantly used by British customers.   It is appalling in the extreme that such passengers are effectively being denied a long standing tradition of the "Great British" sailaway. 

This will, I have no doubts, just be the tip of the iceberg as those of us who have cruised with P&O for years have seen the way that Carnival operates and how step by step, cut by relentless cut it changes what was imho a formerly great British brand into the far lesser product it is today.  

Personally I think people should not stand for it in any shape or form.  We should bring our own union flags, union flag hats, jumpers, jackets, umbrellas, balloons or whatever and preserve our Britishness.   

I'm sick of the relentless assault on our Nationality.

9 minutes ago, KnowTheScore said:

As per my previous question to TerrierJohn I think it's very important here to make the clear distinction between :

2.   P&O Cruises actually seeking to remove the "British Element" of the sailaway

The latter is extremely concerning and for me contributes to an increasing assault on British Nationality by the establishment and wider authoritarian collectives such as the EU.   We should never feel guilty or ashamed to be British or to declare ourselves thus and we should oppose any and all attempts by the various "powers that be" to try to eradicate our Nationality or indeed the very concept of Nationality itself.

P&O Cruises has years and years of British heritage, sails predominantly from Britain and is predominantly used by British customers.   It is appalling in the extreme that such passengers are effectively being denied a long standing tradition of the "Great British" sailaway. 

This will, I have no doubts, just be the tip of the iceberg as those of us who have cruised with P&O for years have seen the way that Carnival operates and how step by step, cut by relentless cut it changes what was imho a formerly great British brand into the far lesser product it is today.  

Personally I think people should not stand for it in any shape or form.  We should bring our own union flags, union flag hats, jumpers, jackets, umbrellas, balloons or whatever and preserve our Britishness.   

Crickey! I thought that attitude had disappeared in the 1950s.

Still, if you want to live in the past, carry on.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, KnowTheScore said:

Sorry but can you cut to the chase instead of dancing around the issue.

Plastic flag removal is a complete side issue.

Simple question, Is or Is not the "Great British" sailaway event to be replaced with another sailaway event that has no British element to it?

Not prepared to join your Carnival bashing KTS, it's certainly replacing the Patriotic songs and replacing them with standard pop fare, but these are still very British occasions, totally different feel to the sailaways on US cruise ships. In fact I imagine P&O might still be calling it a GBS for all I know, not having cruised with them since last April.

21 hours ago, KnowTheScore said:

I hate to point this out, and indeed you may not have noticed, but we are no longer in the EU and soon will not be subject to any of their rules.  Just thought I would point this out in case you had missed it!!

Peter