Packing a lunch from the boat for off the boat....

Davis2010

Last year on a flight from Los Angeles to NZ we changed planes in Honolulu.  Before take off people in hazmat suits came on the plane and sprayed everywhere in the cabin and in the overhead bins.  They gave the passengers no protection or warning and it smelled terrible for at least an hour into our flight to Auckland.  The flight attendants said it was for pest control.  I sneezed for a long time. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, awhcruiser said:

I know that.  We took an RV into Canada and were told by Canadians that if the meat was frozen no problem.  We were searched at customs and had frozen meat.  No problem

On a recent trip to Canada I brought some slab bacon for a friend - it was not frozen and it was permitted - we were advised that only meat restrictions applied to poultry. I suppose unrefrigerated beef might go bad — but frozen or not frozen bacon was not an issue.

1 minute ago, navybankerteacher said:

On a recent trip to Canada I brought some slab bacon for a friend - it was not frozen and it was permitted - we were advised that only meat restrictions applied to poultry. I suppose unrefrigerated beef might go bad — but frozen or not frozen bacon was not an issue.

Good to know!

2 hours ago, awhcruiser said:

I know that.  We took an RV into Canada and were told by Canadians that if the meat was frozen no problem.  We were searched at customs and had frozen meat.  No problem

I'd love to be a fly on the wall when you told that to Ag inspectors in Hawaii.

On 1/9/2020 at 5:53 AM, John Bull said:

I've never encountered restrictions at state borders in the US, certainly within the lower 48 and including multiple routes into California.

That's unusual.  You've been lucky.  Entering California, every time, we've been asked about fruits, veggies, plants.  Even, recently, about firewood.  

On 1/9/2020 at 7:56 AM, ducklite said:

Yes, there most definitely ARE restrictions.  There are checkpoints in California, if you ever drove from a neighboring state into California I'm not sure how you missed them.  There is a check point in Arizona and several in Florida.

I have driven into Cali regularly in the past. I have seen check points for semi trucks and the like transporting goods into the state. Never saw anything for cars.

I travel regularly into Arizona and fairly regularly into Florida. Again other than check points where they weigh and check vehicles like semi trucks trucking goods in I have never seen a check point for anyone in recent years. Years and years ago driving into Florida I did come on a seat belt check. Any produce I bring is the exact same produce being trucked in on trucks from my home state so I'm not terribly worried.

Edit: Sorry that last sounded flippant. I should have explained I worked at a produce company for years in my home state and we shipped a great deal throughout the US. Any produce I may have carried into other states is from that source and so I am certain regularly carried into that state. Thus I'm quite sure it must not be an issue.

Edited by TravelinGert

18 minutes ago, TravelinGert said:

I have driven into Cali regularly in the past. I have seen check points for semi trucks and the like transporting goods into the state. Never saw anything for cars.

I travel regularly into Arizona and fairly regularly into Florida. Again other than check points where they weigh and check vehicles like semi trucks trucking goods in I have never seen a check point for anyone in recent years. Years and years ago driving into Florida I did come on a seat belt check. Any produce I bring is the exact same produce being trucked in on trucks from my home state so I'm not terribly worried.

Edit: Sorry that last sounded flippant. I should have explained I worked at a produce company for years in my home state and we shipped a great deal throughout the US. Any produce I may have carried into other states is from that source and so I am certain regularly carried into that state. Thus I'm quite sure it must not be an issue.

Last time I checked, Cali was in Colombia.

In any case, California has had Agricultural Inspection Stations at major interstate entry points for many many many years. Perhaps you thought they were toll plazas?

27 minutes ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!! 🙂

And, yes, many years. Many decades probably. When you think about how much of our food comes from CA it's a good thing to protect it.

37 minutes ago, Underwatr said:

Transporting firewood is a problem in more of the US than transporting fruit.

Old news. Interstate firewood transfer to California has been a "no-no" for decades. As a younger man, I can remember seeing confiscated wood stacked up at the I-80 Truckee Ag checkpoint throughout the year.

1 hour ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

Old news. Interstate firewood transfer to California has been a "no-no" for decades. As a younger man, I can remember seeing confiscated wood stacked up at the I-80 Truckee Ag checkpoint throughout the year.

Which I go through about a gazillion times a year. I wonder if they only recently added "firewood" to the signs. It makes total sense.

4 hours ago, Flatbush Flyer said:

In any case, California has had Agricultural Inspection Stations at major interstate entry points for many many many years. Perhaps you thought they were toll plazas?

I've always heard California shorted as Cali around here. Guess it may just be a local thing. However yes I did mean California. Perhaps I wasn't on major enough interstates I guess? I've never been pulled over or anything and never passed anything where it seemed like I should have pulled over.

3 minutes ago, TravelinGert said:

I've always heard California shorted as Cali around here. Guess it may just be a local thing. However yes I did mean California. Perhaps I wasn't on major enough interstates I guess? I've never been pulled over or anything and never passed anything where it seemed like I should have pulled over.

People who say "Cali" sometimes also say "San Fran." Not liked 🙂

When we drive into CA, we pass through a 'thing' and the attendants just usually wave us through. So you don't have that? Interesting.

PS Back in the 70s there was an SF restaurant "Don't Call It Frisco" 🙂

16 minutes ago, TravelinGert said:

They're really hard to miss. Here's a couple of them:IMG_2125.thumb.JPG.64ecc84a0e4318d78bbc7e3727883602.JPG

IMG_2126.JPG

Edited by Flatbush Flyer

46 minutes ago, TravelinGert said:

I've heard "Cali" a lot but not too much from anyone who lives here.  Way back when, Frisco was pretty common for San Francisco.  Then for whatever reason it became very uncool.    Now days, who cares.  Lol

14 minutes ago, ldubs said:

I've heard "Cali" a lot but not too much from anyone who lives here.  Way back when, Frisco was pretty common for San Francisco.  Then for whatever reason it became very uncool.    Now days, who cares.  Lol

If you can afford to live in SF, you can call it whatever you want. 

I call it "49 square miles surrounded by reality."

• Like 1

On 1/11/2020 at 7:08 PM, Sea Hag said:

We take packaged "tuna kits" for lunches when we do long hikes. These have a little can of seasoned tuna and some crackers. I think these would be allowable to take off anywhere, since they're pre-packaged and sealed.

You think wrong.

Australia allows NO food items into the country.

I ran into an issue when I was traveling to Papua New Guinea, as I had some food to avoid having to eat all meals in restaurants.   

I did not have everything confiscated, when I explained where I was going, without staying in Australia, and the lady inspector took pity on me.  

36 minutes ago, SRF said:

Australia allows NO food items into the country.

Way too sweeping, SRF.

All foods brought in by passengers have to be declared.

Many, such as fresh fruit, are inadmissible.

But by no means all foods.

JB :classic_smile: