Apex News , If you thought Celebrity Apex would be a carbon copy of Celebrity Edge, think again

HFX

Don't know if this makes much of a difference but hopefully they are listening!

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/stay-tuned-celebrity-apex-dining-entertainment-spa-news

If you thought Celebrity Apex would be a carbon copy of Celebrity Edge, think again.

While they’re definitely sister ships with the same design and layout, Apex — scheduled for delivery in March — has lots of new menus and dining enhancements, expanded spa/wellness programs and ‘tons of new entertainment,’ Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo told Seatrade Cruise News in France on Monday.

Cornelius Gallagher crafts new menus

Celebrity's Cornelius Gallagher, VP food and beverage, created new signature dishes for each main dining room, expanded offerings in on Raw on Five and the Magic Carpet (made possible thanks to a larger galley) and completely revamped the Eden menu. There will be an even greater focus on fresh, distinctive local specialties. A new Le Petit Chef experience/storyline is coming, too. 

Lisa Lehr leads entertainment changes

Lisa Lehr was brought in as VP entertainment — she was formerly with RWS Entertainment Group in New York — and has crafted a whole new lineup for Eden with different daily themes. Plus, The Club will have different décor and a transformed experience each night.

On Tuesday, Celebrity plans to show off its latest ship at Chantiers de l’Atlantique to a large group of international media and retail partners, so watch this space for more details.  

Sea trials still to come

Also, Lutoff-Perlo confirmed Apex still hasn’t been out for sea trials. There’s nothing wrong with the ship, she stressed. It’s in great shape.

As earlier reported here, it’s been a question of bad weather followed by a port workers' strike related to pension reform in France.

‘Hopefully we will get to sea trials soon,’ she said.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I think this is great, shows X is still ever evolving in this Class of ships, similar to that of S Class, I believe....

Cannot wait to see what more is happening.

Waiting for the balance of 2021 sailings to be revealed so I can possibly switch from The Edge...

bon voyage

I was wondering when the PR train was going to leave the Station.

P&O Iona is launching in May and they have already announced alot of their details and guests,so was waiting for Celebrity to do theirs. 

Thanks for posting.

11 hours ago, HFX said:

Don't know if this makes much of a difference but hopefully they are listening!

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/stay-tuned-celebrity-apex-dining-entertainment-spa-news

If you thought Celebrity Apex would be a carbon copy of Celebrity Edge, think again.

While they’re definitely sister ships with the same design and layout, Apex — scheduled for delivery in March — has lots of new menus and dining enhancements, expanded spa/wellness programs and ‘tons of new entertainment,’ Celebrity Cruises President and CEO Lisa Lutoff-Perlo told Seatrade Cruise News in France on Monday.

Cornelius Gallagher crafts new menus

Celebrity's Cornelius Gallagher, VP food and beverage, created new signature dishes for each main dining room, expanded offerings in on Raw on Five and the Magic Carpet (made possible thanks to a larger galley) and completely revamped the Eden menu. There will be an even greater focus on fresh, distinctive local specialties. A new Le Petit Chef experience/storyline is coming, too. 

Lisa Lehr leads entertainment changes

Lisa Lehr was brought in as VP entertainment — she was formerly with RWS Entertainment Group in New York — and has crafted a whole new lineup for Eden with different daily themes. Plus, The Club will have different décor and a transformed experience each night.

On Tuesday, Celebrity plans to show off its latest ship at Chantiers de l’Atlantique to a large group of international media and retail partners, so watch this space for more details.  

Sea trials still to come

Also, Lutoff-Perlo confirmed Apex still hasn’t been out for sea trials. There’s nothing wrong with the ship, she stressed. It’s in great shape.

As earlier reported here, it’s been a question of bad weather followed by a port workers' strike related to pension reform in France.

‘Hopefully we will get to sea trials soon,’ she said.

We'll see if there's a difference, but from what I've seen/heard so far it appears to be the same ship to me.  Nothing more than a different shade of lipstick. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Interesting - I thought the EDGE MDR experience was very good. Not sure any of the "differences" address much of the unhappiness that folks had with EDGE, do they? altho I did find the EDEN offerings too quirky for my (old-person) tastes.

1 hour ago, Bo1953 said:

I think this is great, shows X is still ever evolving in this Class of ships, similar to that of S Class, I believe....

Cannot wait to see what more is happening.

Waiting for the balance of 2021 sailings to be revealed so I can possibly switch from The Edge...

bon voyage

Ho Bo

Why not join us on APEX in Nov 2020...EDGIE reunion...Vt cruiser will be remembered!

• Like 2

Silkroad - I would love to, yet I would not have a home to come back to were I to do so! LOL

My compromise was to have our next sailing in 2021...

Unless I can manage something at the last minute... which sailing is it?

bon voyage

Edited by Bo1953

3 minutes ago, Bo1953 said:

Silkroad - I would love to, yet I would not have a home to come back to were I to do so! LOL

My compromise was to have our next sailing in 2021...

Unless I can manage something at the last minute... which sailing is it?

bon voyage

Believe me, I understand, Bo.  We're barely able to manage it ourselves (work schedules), as we've also got the Greek Isles on Edge this spring. Our Apex cruise departs FL on 14 November 2020, for seven days. We'll save a spot on our SV for you😎

• Thanks 1

Another Press release that was noted on a different thread:

https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/reaching-the-apex-of-luxury-at-sea-celebrity-cruises-unveils-encore-in-edge-series-with-new-celebrity-apex-300994472.html

And my comment on that press release:

The press release implies a "notably larger Fitness Center" in the Apex;however,If you compare the deck plans it doesn't seem any different EXCEPT for reconfiguring the two Motion Studio rooms. Personally I thought the Fitness Center was just fine. The only issues I had was the lack of individual restrooms easily accessible to the Fitness Center (There's one co-ed Individual Rest room near the Motion Studio Rooms) and the slight level change at the end of the first third of the Fitness Center. 

The two most obvious changes in the Apex is the addition of another Hot Tub (For a total of two) in the Solarium and the swapping of the Shore Excursions and ILounge spaces. Of course this is only what's discernible from the published Deck Plans. I'll be on the Apex in November and look forward to the new programming in Eden and the main theater!

• Thanks 1

Thanks for info

long-time Celebrity (& other Cruiselines occasionally) Sailor but haven’t tried Edge-class  so I’m soaking up all the info I can.

I booked Apex Sunset Veranda for Jan 2021.  Just off Equinox 2 weeks ago.  Nicely redecorated cabin but not great Veranda furniture.  I read Edge is getting frosted glass doors on infinite verandas.  Can always hope for more comfy balcony furniture & footstools but no deal breaker.

Was happy about new MDR menus and entertainment for Apex.

Happy sailing everyone.

Linda

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Silkroad said:

Believe me, I understand, Bo.  We're barely able to manage it ourselves (work schedules), as we've also got the Greek Isles on Edge this spring. Our Apex cruise departs FL on 14 November 2020, for seven days. We'll save a spot on our SV for you😎

I hear you. We  just had a sudden expense to replace our central air in Florida..a very large $urpri$e,..but for now we are sticking with APEX.  We  also have an SV..We can probably do an SV crawl EDGIE reunion..... c'mon Bo! But understandable if you can't!

The new concepts in EDEN  and the CLUB, plus gastro pub sound promising,,,We weren't unhappy with much on EDGE but  changes to APEX will add variety!

Just came off my first Edge cruise. Loved it so much that I booked the Apex same SV cabin  for Nov. 2021. I still don`t think I would enjoy the IV cabins. Love a large outdoor balcony as we spend a lot of time out there. 

Food was so good in the 4 MDR that the only specialty dine we did was for lunch at Bistro. 

Would like to see better balcony furniture in the SV cabins. I had to use pillows on chair to make it comfortable. 

Would love to see a lounger, but I did not ask.  Cheers, Heather

• Thanks 1

Posted these on the other press release thread:

From Harry Kemble on the shipyard visit to Apex today:

The bi-fold doors have been ‘frosted’ and the furniture size has been reduced in the Infinite Veranda cabins

iv.thumb.jpg.43553b11ba5f6b8637182df3bce9fcb0.jpg

"The one thing that we needed after Edge was a little more sun and wind protection in the Rooftop Garden Grill,”

says LLP  “We are going back and doing the same thing on Edge."

rg.thumb.jpg.6aa72af7359ccc7dd05750ce8d280e5a.jpg

Sandra

Edited by dides
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Other than the changes regarding Eden, it doesn't look like many (most) of the issues raised about Edge are being addressed.  One can only assume that the issues that have been raised have not adversely affected occupancy rates and Celebrity feels no pressure to make significant changes.

3 hours ago, hcat said:

I hear you. We  just had a sudden expense to replace our central air in Florida..a very large $urpri$e,..but for now we are sticking with APEX.  We  also have an SV..We can probably do an SV crawl EDGIE reunion..... c'mon Bo! But understandable if you can't!

The new concepts in EDEN  and the CLUB, plus gastro pub sound promising,,,We weren't unhappy with much on EDGE but  changes to APEX will add variety!

h - if I did, I would have to move to Fl for a bit... LOL

bon voyage

3 hours ago, maggie.1008 said:

Would like to see better balcony furniture in the SV cabins. I had to use pillows on chair to make it comfortable. 

Would love to see a lounger, but I did not ask.  Cheers, Heather

Same furniture as the Sky Suites, fingers crossed for the Apex.

• Like 1

One of the simplest fixes for this ship that would actually go a long way to making people happier with Edge class would be to return the cabins to a furniture array similar to S-class (coffee tables, bigger table on decks, footrests, etc.). Nice to hear about the coverings to be added for Rooftop Grill area. Hopefully some coverings will be added to Sunset Bar too.

• Like 4