Plastic Straws vs Paper Straws

GeriatricNurse

Are we still saving paper by the elimination of the poor towel animal's eyes?  I really found the blind animals to be sad and disturbing!  This seems like a very odd and insignificant way to "save paper".  I wonder whose idea this was?

~Nancy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Aquahound said:

Credit needs to be given where it's due though.  Thank the U.S. government for all recent environmental measures taken by Carnival Corp ships because its their court ordered probation that's making HAL do it.  HAL doesn't give a crap about straws but they also get to win in this because they can claim to the world they are Earth savers, even though they've been just the opposite lately.    I guess it doesn't matter though.  As long as non-recyclable single-use plastics are being eliminated, it's still a good thing.  

So, you agree the elimination of plastic straws is a meaningless example of virtue signalling.

Why not focus on something that would make a difference?

Perhaps the cruise lines should bring back the ancient practice of selling indulgences for past sins?  They could sell plastic offsets.

Edited by RocketMan275

7 hours ago, oakridger said:

Are we still saving paper by the elimination of the poor towel animal's eyes?  I really found the blind animals to be sad and disturbing!  This seems like a very odd and insignificant way to "save paper".  I wonder whose idea this was?

~Nancy

Yeah the blind towel animals were kinda creepy. Probably someone who has never been on a cruise made that dingbat decision. The eyes aren't necessarily even one use especially if they laminated them or heck, just use the plastic googly eyes that are easily reusable. Blinding all those poor defenseless towel animals seems a great example of overkill. 

7 minutes ago, fatcat04 said:

Yeah the blind towel animals were kinda creepy. Probably someone who has never been on a cruise made that dingbat decision. The eyes aren't necessarily even one use especially if they laminated them or heck, just use the plastic googly eyes that are easily reusable. Blinding all those poor defenseless towel animals seems a great example of overkill. 

I’ve seen stewards on some lines tear little pieces off of the discarded paper advertisements to use as eyes. They are not perfect but at least it’s something. AND it is recycling so the PC Police should be happy about it as well as those who like the eyes. 

53 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

So, you agree the elimination of plastic straws is a meaningless example of virtue signalling.

Perhaps the cruise lines should bring back the ancient practice of selling indulgences for past sins?  They could sell plastic offsets.

Absolutely, it's virtue signaling.  Plus, it saves the cruise line money.  Yet, Carnival Corp is still one of the largest polluters.  Heck, one of their ships just dumped in Port Canaveral the other day.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Airlines sell carbon offsets.

28 minutes ago, 3rdGenCunarder said:

Airlines sell carbon offsets.

Perhaps the cruise lines should add a fifteen cent surcharge to any plastic straw.  The proceeds to pay for Greta Thunberg to sail to China on her plastic sailing yacht to visit the Chinese coal plants near Wuhan.  I'm sure the Chinese would be more than interested in her thoughts on how to do away with fossil fuels.   

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

38 minutes ago, ithaca gal said:

Call it virtue signaling, if you must, but I'm pretty sure the sea turtles are celebrating the disappearance of plastic straws.  Every little bit helps.

It helps if it is focused on the real problems.  Plastic straws on cruise ships aren't affecting sea turtles.

Edited by RocketMan275
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I can understand reducing plastic use when possible.  But why the restrictions on paper straws?  It’s from a renewable resource.

The material is a renewable resource, but it still requires energy, emissions, and space to manufacture and stock them. So it's a savings to discourage use, or even to see a reduction by not offering unless asked.

11 minutes ago, Highway27 said:

The material is a renewable resource, but it still requires energy, emissions, and space to manufacture and stock them. So it's a savings to discourage use, or even to see a reduction by not offering unless asked.

Sorry I’m not buying into that as a reason.  That argument could be made for anything we buy.  Should we give up our houses, cars or even cruises?  If we act responsibly there is no problem.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RocketMan275 said:

Perhaps the cruise lines should add a fifteen cent surcharge to any plastic straw.  The proceeds to pay for Greta Thunberg to sail to China on her plastic sailing yacht to visit the Chinese coal plants near Wuhan.  I'm sure the Chinese would be more than interested in her thoughts on how to do away with fossil fuels.   

Good idea Rocket Man....but here is what I am going to do....

I am setting up a FOUNDATION that will allow those that are concerned about the danger of plastic straws to contribute $$$ to my FOUNDATION.  I will travel the world (via private jet) and speak about the ills of plastic straws and the harm they are doing to the sea turtle for a small fee for my FOUNDATION.  I'll provide a plastic wristband for contributors to wear to show their support for this important cause. I'll also solicit contributions from Carnival Corp for my FOUNDATION and will award them a plaque for environmental leadership.  

I'll be financially responsible and thus will model my FOUNDATION after past President's FOUNDATION. 

I'll do this as my contribution to the world and will thus not benefit financially from this....for real....just as other's before me have done.  

RocketMan, would you like to be a board member?  There will be a small stipend for your travels to our board meetings in the Ukraine.

We must get started today because if we do not remove plastic straws, the world will end in 12 years. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, retafcruiser said:

I will be bringing animal eyes, plastic straws, and party balloons with me next cruise. I will have extra for anyone who wants them.

I’m wondering if I bring my own straws if we will be sent to the naughty room or put off at the next port 😉 🤣

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Seasick Sailor said:

I can see you now Kazu... A lanyard around your neck with your key card, a straw, and a mini sugar packet purse. 🤭

LOL - I don’t wear lanyards and don’t use sugar 🙂. I do use a straw for my Caesar though or iced drinks 😉  

2 hours ago, FlaMariner said:

Good idea Rocket Man....but here is what I am going to do....

I am setting up a FOUNDATION that will allow those that are concerned about the danger of plastic straws to contribute $$$ to my FOUNDATION.  I will travel the world (via private jet) and speak about the ills of plastic straws and the harm they are doing to the sea turtle for a small fee for my FOUNDATION.  I'll provide a plastic wristband for contributors to wear to show their support for this important cause. I'll also solicit contributions from Carnival Corp for my FOUNDATION and will award them a plaque for environmental leadership.  

I'll be financially responsible and thus will model my FOUNDATION after past President's FOUNDATION. 

I'll do this as my contribution to the world and will thus not benefit financially from this....for real....just as other's before me have done.  

RocketMan, would you like to be a board member?  There will be a small stipend for your travels to our board meetings in the Ukraine.

We must get started today because if we do not remove plastic straws, the world will end in 12 years. 

I would be willing to sacrifice my time for such a just and wonderful cause.  I could devote weeks to cruising where I could lecture passengers and solicit additional donations to the foundation.  Unfortunately, I would require Foundation financial support to cover the cruise fare and other expenses.  I would need suite level accommodations for meetings with passengers and would need additional resources to acquire the various refreshments to entertain these concerned individuals.  My wife would accompany me of course.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Crazy For Cats said:

I can understand reducing plastic use when possible.  But why the restrictions on paper straws?  It’s from a renewable resource.

It's like the paper versus plastic grocery store bags.  First, the demand we stop using paper bags to save the trees.  Then, they demand we stop using plastic to save the sea turtles.  It's not about making progress, it's about having a cause to raise donations.  The donations become indulgences purchased to demonstrate one's virtues.  

15 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

I would be willing to sacrifice my time for such a just and wonderful cause.  I could devote weeks to cruising where I could lecture passengers and solicit additional donations to the foundation.  Unfortunately, I would require Foundation financial support to cover the cruise fare and other expenses.  I would need suite level accommodations for meetings with passengers and would need additional resources to acquire the various refreshments to entertain these concerned individuals.  My wife would accompany me of course.

RocketMan you are a generous soul and your sacrifice is noted and will be praised around the globe.  Perhaps you are available to speak at the next Euro Conference on Global Warming?....I hear Greta Thornburg (sp?)  and Prince Charles will be leading us in our battle to save the world.

(now let's get some suckers to donate and let's make them feel good about themselves.  And you will be working hard for the cause on the high seas as you proudly wear your environmentally unfriendly HAL medal for 17,000 days at sea and reach your 6 STAR Mariner benefits....all for other's, of course)

Smooth sailing.......(Isn't it funny how history repeats itself.....the selling of indulgences, repent...the end is near...it's all the same and us humans fall for it every time....and just as in history, someone is cashing in....human nature)

3 minutes ago, FlaMariner said:

RocketMan you are a generous soul and your sacrifice is noted and will be praised around the globe.  Perhaps you are available to speak at the next Euro Conference on Global Warming?....I hear Greta Thornburg (sp?)  and Prince Charles will be leading us in our battle to save the world.

(now let's get some suckers to donate and let's make them feel good about themselves.  And you will be working hard for the cause on the high seas as you proudly wear your environmentally unfriendly HAL medal for 17,000 days at sea and reach your 6 STAR Mariner benefits....all for other's, of course)

Smooth sailing.......(Isn't it funny how history repeats itself.....the selling of indulgences, repent...the end is near...it's all the same and us humans fall for it every time....and just as in history, someone is cashing in....human nature)

I'm sure I could make that Euro Conference.  I must, of course, check with the wife.  She presence would be extremely valuable.  Did I mention she is fluent in German?  Born there.  

Edited by RocketMan275

The elimination of sugar, catsup, mustard, mayo, packets might save some paper, but replacing them with bottles of the same condiments causes more problems.  Large numbers of people who have coughed or sneezed (or worse) in their hands will be grabbing these bottles of condiments and transmitting whatever they have on their hands to hundred of other passengers.   Are we now required to wear gloves to dinner just to save some paper sugar packets ?  This is all getting out of control with companies falling all over themselves for press releases saying how "woke" they are.

• Like 3