Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

2 hours ago, arabrab said:

Trump official and the State Department insisted on bringing infected passengers back. CDC did not agree with the decision to bring the newly-found-to-be-infected passengers back on the plane with the other passengers & insisted that the CDC be left off the news release explaining that infected passengers were being brought back:

Good to know that people in CDC are competent.

Sad to know that they are spineless against tweeting administration.

Doubt any of previous adminstration (of any party) wud have made such mistakes.

Hopefully, no one acquired new infection because of this.

• Like 12

3 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

Just seen news report that two of the Australian evacuees tested positive in Darwin.

nNo link, sorry, I’m on transit!

FYI the report I watched said that these two tested negative in Japan prior to being  evacuated. Sorry again I have no link.

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, ceilidh1 said:

FYI the report I watched said that these two tested negative in Japan prior to being  evacuated. Sorry again I have no link.

Cruise critic needs to add a sad reaction icon for this thread (in addition to thanks, laughter and like). 😞

Here's hoping there aren't too many more false/early negatives and not too many more passengers or crew who contract the disease during their evacuations/quarentines (to say nothing of the poor people in Japan).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, dog said:

I can’t help you! Sorry. 

The part I am asking about is Why they were allowed to disembark the ship without having proof of negative test results. 
on Feb 19 th passengers were given a clearance certificate to prove they tested negative. ( mention by Jan Swartz in her last update & in her CNN interview). 

The difference is they were transferred from the custody and care of the Japanese authorities to the American authorities with the understanding they are getting onto an aircraft leaving the country.   It at that point they are not a threat to safety of others in Japan.  If they want to just walk off of the ship on their own they would have been stoped..

This morning there was an interview with the two government ministers that are in charge of the Canadian departments running the Canadian evacuation.  Some questions from reporters about why Canada is not taking back anyone who is infected the way the us did.  The answer  was two fold, they pose a risk to others on the aircraft and for their own safety it is not safe to transport them.  It is a long 9-10 hour flight and over such a time period someone can get very sick very quickly the best place for them is in a hospital under medical care.     

Edited by em-sk
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, hal2008 said:

Ironically, one of the explanations for why the Japanese government is letting passengers off the ship with no further quarantine is that the decisions are being made by bureaucrats, not medical personnel.  Seems same thing is happening in the US.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, cruiserchuck said:

Ironically, one of the explanations for why the Japanese government is letting passengers off the ship with no further quarantine is that the decisions are being made by bureaucrats, not medical personnel.  Seems same thing is happening in the US.

Agreed.

Decision by Japan is far more dangerous (potentially) than that of Trump administration.

• Like 3

Two evacuees from Diamond Princess have been tested positive in Darwin.  They have been kept isolated.  The Chief Medical Officer said they were prepared for some positive tests.

ABC News

The Australian Government's decision to isolate passengers from Diamond Princess, in Darwin for 14 days, has been proved to be a wise one. 

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, MMDown Under said:

Two evacuees from Diamond Princess have been tested positive in Darwin.  They have been kept isolated.  The Chief Medical Officer said they were prepared for some positive tests.

ABC News

The Australian Government's decision to isolate passengers from Diamond Princess, in Darwin for 14 days, has been proved to be a wise one. 

It seems every government of all developed nations are making that exactly same decision except Japan.

(is there any other govt that is letting its citizens coming back from DP roam free?)

Edited by hal2008
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, caribill said:

This seems to imply that the materials they are made of could harbor the virus even with extensive laundering.

What does that say about all the passengers' clothing that they brought home with them? Should they all be thrown out?

Or is replacing all the linens and towels more a public relations thing instead of really being necessary?

Doesn't say.  But MY guess is why take a chance?  Even if it's a PR thing, at least new passengers will know that the ship is 100% clean then.

6 hours ago, caribill said:

This seems to imply that the materials they are made of could harbor the virus even with extensive laundering.

What does that say about all the passengers' clothing that they brought home with them? Should they all be thrown out?

Or is replacing all the linens and towels more a public relations thing instead of really being necessary?

To me it’s a matter of perception. Nothing says clean like brand new linens...no stains, no frayed edges or holes. Just brand new, bright white sheets and towels.

Knowing how people freak out about maintenance if they see so much as a loose thread this is probably a smart move. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

Sigh...

...And, while I stipulate that Mr. Calouri is qualified to direct Ship Operations (since he holds that position in a major corporation), I don't know that Mr. Calouri holds any engineering degree, let alone one in HVAC.  And, if you believe that his statement was not vetted by corporate legal to say the minimum necessary, then I've got a bridge to sell.

Presented without comment.

https://www.princess.com/cruise-tips-vacation-ideas/cruise-blog/50-essential-experiences/the-ocean.html

"The Ocean" by Rai Caluori, Executive Vice President of Fleet Operations

"I graduated from University College London with a Bachelor of Science degree in Experimental Psychology (about as useful as an ash tray on a motor bike!)."

Edited by ShipWalker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I just got an email from a local paper. Out of the 13 people who were brought to Omaha (Nebraska Medicine) from the Diamond Princess, 11 tested positive. Now 3 are in the bio-containment unit. The rest are quarantined in an isolation unit.

https://www.omaha.com/livewellnebraska/of-travelers-who-came-to-omaha-from-cruise-ship-test/article_85adf339-c2d4-5f99-a014-0125f4288569.html  

They ran tests right away and Nebraska Medicine has been certified by CDC to run them but CDC wanted to review the tests themselves before they released the results. 

Edited by Coral
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dog said:

Thank you for your reply.

Re:

1. I understand that. They should be allowed on the flight because they tested positive before disembarking.

2. How can they be "considered clear" without a confirmed negative test result?

This is about evacuees from Wuhan, not the Diamond Princess but it has some quotes from the CDC on why it won’t test or require negative tests from evacuees. In short they say negative tests are unreliable. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.nytimes.com/2020/02/13/us/coronavirus-quarantine-tests.amp.html

Looking at the letters from the embassy and the CDC press releases, I don’t think they requiring a negative test even from those that stayed. It says they can’t come back for at least 14 days after they leave the ship and can’t have tested positive. I assume they do require a negative test if and only if you previously tested positive.

Edited by LizNeedsAVacation
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, hal2008 said:

Not sure if you all noticed the portable isolation chamber at the front of the plane.  Those with positive tests were isolated in there.  That chamber would have virus-level filters on the air exhaust.  And likely on the intake too.  You may need to zoom in a bit to see the airtight doors, etc.

image.thumb.jpeg.7dd75f13594a5e7f64240c71261857c7.jpeg

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

Not sure if you all noticed the portable isolation chamber at the front of the plane.  Those with positive tests were isolated in there.  That chamber would have virus-level filters on the air exhaust.  And likely on the intake too.  You may need to zoom in a bit to see the airtight doors, etc.

image.thumb.jpeg.7dd75f13594a5e7f64240c71261857c7.jpeg

Sure -- after they held everyone together on a bus for FIVE hours while they argued about what to do.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ceilidh1 said:

Just seen news report that two of the Australian evacuees tested positive in Darwin.

nNo link, sorry, I’m on transit!

I saw that but there are also evacuees from Hubei also in isolation there at the same place and I couldn’t see where those two came from. 

Ah, that is a new abc report that wasn’t there first thing this morning. Thanks -bulldusthhh

Edited by Pushka

8 hours ago, fragilek said:

I would agree completely that @chengkp75 is exceptionally knowledgeable in his field and I have always looked forward to his input in all the threads he contributes too.

However, some others on here also work in fields related to this issue, doctors have contributed as well as other scientists , I worked on developing antifungal & antiviral treatments among other more interesting tablets 😉 - hope your happy enough to trust using them.

Agreed.

20 hours ago, cruiserchuck said:

https://www.facebook.com/PrincessCruises/videos/783739805479528/

Beginning at 1:46, he discusses that the air is partially recirculated in cabins and public areas.  If the air was only recirculated with air from the same cabin, I am confident he would have said so.  So I believe the Executive Vice President of Princess over chengkp75 or you.

Mr Calouri, Executive Vice President of Princess, mentioned that the air in passenger and crew cabins is partly re-circulated, however, if you listen carefully, you will see that he didn't say the air is re-circulated from one cabin to another. 'Chengkp75' expanded on Mr Calouri's explanation, he didn't contradict it.

Not Princess but Westerdam passengers were finally released yesterday from Cambodia after the positive passenger test. They were put on a charter flight. Turkey refused the plane to land and they had to return to divert to Pakistan. 
https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/plane-evacuating-cruise-passengers-routed-turkey-denies-landing/story?id=69109034&cid=clicksource_4380645_4_three_posts_card_hed

• Like 1

8 hours ago, chengkp75 said:

There is a system of AC that takes outside air in, cools it, and supplies it to many cabins (typically all the cabins in one fire zone (the area between the doors in the passageway) on one or two decks, so about 40-50 cabins).  This fresh air will increase the pressure in the cabins, since it is coming from outside (think of a fan blowing into a room from an open window, and no other windows or doors are open in the room).  Some of this overpressure is relieved via the bathroom exhaust fan, which takes air from the cabin (via the gap under the bathroom door) and exhausts it outside the ship.  However, the system is designed so that the fresh air delivered to the cabin is more than that exhausted by the bathroom fan, so the cabin is at slightly higher pressure than either the outside or the passageway.  This is done so that air flows out of the cabin into the passageway, to prevent the spread of smoke from the passageway into all the cabins during a fire.

When we were on a Celebrity ship in 2013, there was a fire in a cabin a few doors from us. After we heard an announcement over the PA system that there was a fire in cabin XXXX (near us), I got out of bed and opened our cabin door to see what was happening. A very short distance down the corridor the smoke was so thick I could just see about half a dozen crew and officers who were (presumably) standing outside the open door of the cabin where the fire was located. Chengkp75's explanation about the higher pressure in cabins explains why we had absolutely no smoke in our cabin even though we were less than 10 metres from a fire that was generating a lot of smoke.

• Like 4