Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

2 minutes ago, Pushka said:

Perhaps one good thing to come out of this is the learnings of how to manage this for future cruises. 

Is anyone else being bombarded with emails from cruise lines about special deals (that in the fine details just aren’t?)

I’ve also wondered if the ship situation will provide any useful data. (Note: not suggesting these pax should be used as guinea pigs or that it makes the situation okay. Looking for silver lining.)

(Vacations to go has been surprisingly silent. I have a B2B on Virgin next month or I’d be looking for deals harder.)

Lastly: full disclosure, I’ve been shorting CCL stock for the last few days. I’d still rather see people remain calm and rational about this unfortunate illness.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, perditax said:

I’ve also wondered if the ship situation will provide any useful data. (Note: not suggesting these pax should be used as guinea pigs or that it makes the situation okay. Looking for silver lining.)

Absolutely agree. But if it had to happen, as it did, the least that can happen is that it is done better next time if at all possible. 

4 hours ago, Pushka said:

And hence my point at the get go. This virus, in itself, is no worse than the flu. It is just we don’t have a vaccine for it. And that is the priority. It is not like Ebola with an extreme fatality rate. 

It is roughly 400 times deadlier than seasonal flu. Seasonal flu has a roughly .04% death rate. This is right around 2% IF YOU BELIEVE what China is saying. 

Look you dont implode your own economy by shutting down your 5th biggest city for the seasonal flu. So the "not as dangerous as seasonal flu" line needs to stop. As far as these novel viruses go this one seems less deadly. But it is FAR more deadly than seasonal flu.

Edited by clskinsfan
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, clskinsfan said:

It is roughly 400 times deadlier than seasonal flu. Seasonal flu has a roughly .04% death rate. This is right around 2% IF YOU BELIEVE what China is saying. 

Look you dont implode your own economy by shutting down your 5th biggest city for the seasonal flu. So the "not as dangerous as seasonal flu" line needs to stop. As far as these novel viruses go this one seems less deadly. But it is FAR more deadly than seasonal flu.

We don't know the figures yet. It is too early in the life of this virus.

It is likely that the number of infections in China are grossly under-reported. I doubt that everyone is going to a hospital. If this is the case, the death rate would be lower than the figures quoted.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, Aus Traveller said:

We don't know the figures yet. It is too early in the life of this virus.

It is likely that the number of infections in China are grossly under-reported. I doubt that everyone is going to a hospital. If this is the case, the death rate would be lower than the figures quoted.

This is very true.

Something else to consider is that so far the majority of people who have died already had underlying health issues. 

15 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

it sounds like the US is sending a ship for 400+ US passengers....more to follow.

You really shouldn't be posting something without including a reliable source.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 5

I’m not able to edit my post, but I thought I should give a source. The Lancet article about Coronavirus states that around 75% of the people who have died had underlying health issues. If you want to read more stats, this article summarises the current information well.

https://www.news.com.au/lifestyle/health/health-problems/how-the-coronavirus-impacts-you-once-you-are-infected/news-story/5f817d2da97006ab390750a0ea14ad2b

5 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

you are correct...while I hope it is true can't find a solid source and would remove the post but don't know how.

I did see a post on Twitter but it was more of a plea from the Westerdam.  It is kind of funny (not funny) they are making the plea after being denied port in Guam which they seem to believe is a separate country rather than realizing it is part of the US and actually has a naval base.  So the US basically turned down rescuing it’s own citizens given the chance.  The Philippines at least allowed Filipinos off anther ship.

on the Diamond Princess the number of confirmed cases goes up each day with the infirmary very busy with people with high temps...I would be calling the government too. Now they have them walking on deck supposedly xxx number of feet apart with gloves etc. and yet videos of this show distances are not maintained and most don't have gloves on. I think I would pass on that activity.

8 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

on the Diamond Princess the number of confirmed cases goes up each day with the infirmary very busy with people with high temps...I would be calling the government too. Now they have them walking on deck supposedly xxx number of feet apart with gloves etc. and yet videos of this show distances are not maintained and most don't have gloves on. I think I would pass on that activity.

Source please where did you find the information on the Infirmary?

13 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

This is what surprised me.  I saw a photo earlier of three females taking a group selfie, couldn't have been more than 6" apart.

7 minutes ago, Te Aroha said:

Source please where did you find the information on the Infirmary?

i heard it myself on a facebook live stream from David Abel who is quarantined on the ship...the captain came on to update the passengers.

2 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

i heard it myself on a facebook live stream from David Abel who is quarantined on the ship...the captain came on to update the passengers.

I watched the same video no where did it say they were in the infirmary. The medical staff are attending to passengers with high temperatures in the cabins. Calling the government would achieve exactly what? 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Pushka said:

And hence my point at the get go. This virus, in itself, is no worse than the flu. It is just we don’t have a vaccine for it. And that is the priority.

Yes, there is a flu vaccine. Yet people in the USA are dying of the flu and its complications at a rate of 5000 people a month this flu season per the CDC.

How come there is no panic about that?  That is not theoretical, it is real.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, caribill said:

Yes, there is a flu vaccine. Yet people in the USA are dying of the flu and its complications at a rate of 5000 people a month this flu season per the CDC.

How come there is no panic about that?  That is not theoretical, it is real.

Because the uptake of the flu vaccine isn’t as good as it should be. Anti vaxxers and the like? Reluctance? Additionally last year in Australia anyway, the vaccine wasn’t as effective because the initial supply wasn’t the most effective for the strain that presented itself. 

Plus it is a choice as to whether or not to have it. 

It is also difficult sometimes to isolate comorbidities. 

Edited by Pushka

40 minutes ago, Te Aroha said:

I watched the same video no where did it say they were in the infirmary. The medical staff are attending to passengers with high temperatures in the cabins. Calling the government would achieve exactly what? 

The captain said "The medical centre is very busy at the moment". This was on the live video posted by David, right at the beginning of the captain's announcement. Whether that means it's busy tending to passengers IN the medical centre or whether it means the staff of the medical centre are busy tending to passengers in their cabins is not clear.

53 minutes ago, DivotMaker said:

This is what surprised me.  I saw a photo earlier of three females taking a group selfie, couldn't have been more than 6" apart.

Maybe these three women were from the one cabin. Passengers have to keep their distance from other passengers.

I saw one photo of passengers on the ship and I thought it was taken on a balcony, not on deck. That may or may not be the photo you refer to.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1