Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

I try to read this post to learn more about the Diamond and what is going on with the pax and ship.  It is too bad there is so much useless conversation about flu and what is happening in the world today.  Too many CC certified lawyers and doctors I guess.  Thanks to those on the ship for sharing and keeping the information updated.  It is not as if the ship is stranded without communication!  I'm glad to hear that people are getting to go on deck at least for short periods.  It will be interesting to see when the quarantine will end and where the passengers will be allowed to disembark.  With many countries, including Japan, refusing to allow ships to dock that question may remain to be determined.

Interesting new article about the Virus in Wuhan, if you believe the finding putting a bunch of people together even with the best isolation results in lots of transmission, and if you look at the spiraling count on the ship it is consistent with put a lot of people together is the recipe for EVERYONE getting it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/08/health/coronavirus-hospital-infections-frieden/index.html

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, chipmaster said:

Interesting new article about the Virus in Wuhan, if you believe the finding putting a bunch of people together even with the best isolation results in lots of transmission, and if you look at the spiraling count on the ship it is consistent with put a lot of people together is the recipe for EVERYONE getting it.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/08/health/coronavirus-hospital-infections-frieden/index.html

What 'spiraling' count have you heard about or maybe I should ask how you define 'spiraling'?  In the media and posted here I've read of 61 passengers in the initial group tested and another 3 identified yesterday IIRC.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, capriccio said:

What 'spiraling' count have you heard about or maybe I should ask how you define 'spiraling'?  In the media and posted here I've read of 61 passengers in the initial group tested and another 3 identified yesterday IIRC.

Yup pretty high level of positives in the initial couple hundred and they haven't even tested the 3K of other people including  the crew.  In what another week they will all be dispersed to the wind and you can't keep a good bug down, biological history has always shown that, unless you practice the most extreme isolation methods at extrodinary social and econcomic costs.   The chinese are making their attempt but that will soon end too.  .

The overall in China seems to be leveling off but that will explode with the return to work in a day, interesting times indeed.

Corono_virus 02-08 statistic.jpg

Edited by chipmaster

1 minute ago, chipmaster said:

Yup pretty high level of positives, suspect the crew will also soon develop some, then biology makes for a known outcome.

But the initial group tested (including the first 61 positive cases) were identified as being high risk before the testing. 

I think we should all be cautious with the descriptors (like 'spiraling') we use discussing coronavirus.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, dides said:

I am thinking that is fake news.  Even if the wine somehow managed to get to the ship via drone, there is no way it would have been delivered to the cabin. 

Edited by cruiserchuck
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, cruiserchuck said:

I am thinking that is fake news.  Even if the wine somehow managed to get to the ship vis drone, there is no way it would have been delivered to the cabin. 

If the drone landed on the balcony......

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, capriccio said:

But the initial group tested (including the first 61 positive cases) were identified as being high risk before the testing. 

I think we should all be cautious with the descriptors (like 'spiraling') we use discussing coronavirus.

I wouldn't lose too much sleep over it. It's just a handful of people, the same people,  reading any of these threads. 😎

2 hours ago, dides said:

The early reports from David Abel said that alchohol had been banned.

As a medical professional who has worked critical care for over 40 years I can see a problem with that.  With over 3,000 people there is a pretty high chance that at least of few of the confined passengers are bona fide alcoholics.  Within a few days DT's would likely set in.  In our hospital known alcoholics are given (dosed by Pharmacy) airline size "adult beverages" to keep everyone healthy and happy!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Cabin fever is setting in for some and I can understand their angst.

Fear on the Diamond Princess

American author Gay Courter is also among the more than 2,600 passengers trapped on board the Diamond Princess, which she described as a “contaminated prison.”

“(My husband Philip and I) are 75 and 77 years old, we have health risks and we are a bad category to get sick … We are not safe in our rooms,” she said.

In an attempt to escape the infection, Courter said she had contacted her insurance company, Medjet, which is willing to send a crisis extraction team from the boat to evacuate her.

The US and Japanese governments, however, won’t allow that to happen. Japanese health officials told CNN that any passengers of the Diamond Princess had to go through the quarantine process before they were allowed onto land and that the process was ongoing.

“We can be taken in quarantine, and extracted in quarantine and arrive in the United States safely,” she said. “We are not sick at the moment but there is a major concern that circulating air on this ship can make people sick.”

Courter said the US government could take them to the nearby Okinawa military base for evacuation, telling President Donald Trump that he could have another thousand US coronavirus cases on his hands if the ship wasn’t emptied.

“This was a trip of a lifetime, and I used all of my credit card points. The way out was divine but right now I do not mind how I go home,” she said.

Courter is afraid that if she becomes infected she may not survive. Older people are especially susceptible to the Wuhan coronavirus — China’s National Health Commission said Tuesday that 80% of all fatalities in mainland China were over the age of 60.

“I (just) do not want to go home in a box,” she said.

https://fox61.com/2020/02/07/royal-carribbean-ship-docks-in-new-jersey-with-suspected-coronavirus-patients/

12 minutes ago, Sunny AZ Girl said:

As a medical professional who has worked critical care for over 40 years I can see a problem with that.  With over 3,000 people there is a pretty high chance that at least of few of the confined passengers are bona fide alcoholics.  Within a few days DT's would likely set in.  In our hospital known alcoholics are given (dosed by Pharmacy) airline size "adult beverages" to keep everyone healthy and happy!

I agree with you!  I worked in an acute care hospital for years and they also provided elective surgical patients with alcohol if they knew it would impede their recovery (by DT's setting in without it).  I would think this might be taken into consideration if they talked to the medical staff about it.  You'd think so, anyway.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

American author Gay Courter is also among the more than 2,600 passengers trapped on board the Diamond Princess, which she described as a “contaminated prison.”

“(My husband Philip and I) are 75 and 77 years old, we have health risks and we are a bad category to get sick … We are not safe in our rooms,” she said.

In an attempt to escape the infection, Courter said she had contacted her insurance company, Medjet, which is willing to send a crisis extraction team from the boat to evacuate her.

The US and Japanese governments, however, won’t allow that to happen. Japanese health officials told CNN that any passengers of the Diamond Princess had to go through the quarantine process before they were allowed onto land and that the process was ongoing.

“We can be taken in quarantine, and extracted in quarantine and arrive in the United States safely,” she said. “We are not sick at the moment but there is a major concern that circulating air on this ship can make people sick.”

Courter said the US government could take them to the nearby Okinawa military base for evacuation, telling President Donald Trump that he could have another thousand US coronavirus cases on his hands if the ship wasn’t emptied.

“This was a trip of a lifetime, and I used all of my credit card points. The way out was divine but right now I do not mind how I go home,” she said.

Courter is afraid that if she becomes infected she may not survive. Older people are especially susceptible to the Wuhan coronavirus — China’s National Health Commission said Tuesday that 80% of all fatalities in mainland China were over the age of 60.

https://fox61.com/2020/02/07/royal-carribbean-ship-docks-in-new-jersey-with-suspected-coronavirus-patients/

Wow ... that really breaks my heart!  I am not convinced that the quarantine is actually going to subject them to the virus but, it sure seems as though their fear is real ... real enough to sicken them.  I sure hope this couple calls the therapy hotline they have set up for psychological concerns.  

• Like 2

I’ve heard comments this morning from 2 different Qualified people in epidemiology that the virus surge is slowing, and that the possibility is that as the virus spreads (which it will do even when it plateaus) that it’s virulence might also be diluting. I’ll hang on to any positive news right now. I can’t give sources as it was a radio interview. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Wow ... that really breaks my heart!  I am not convinced that the quarantine is actually going to subject them to the virus but, it sure seems as though their fear is real ... real enough to sicken them.  I sure hope this couple calls the therapy hotline they have set up for psychological concerns.  

I was interested to hear (at 2:37 in the video) in the recent (10:30 pm PT last night) Princess video :

We recognize a situation like this can create unprecedented stress, so we're also offering our guests and crew specialized telephonic mental health counseling if they should be experiencing such stress and mental health issues.

• Like 2

Just now, capriccio said:

I was interested to hear (at 2:37 in the video) in the recent (10:30 pm PT last night) Princess video :

We recognize a situation like this can create unprecedented stress, so we're also offering our guests and crew specialized telephonic mental health counseling if they should be experiencing such stress and mental health issues.

That's what I heard as well.  I believe this couple could use that reassurance.  I think I would fare just fine but, one doesn't really ever know how they will react unless they are placed in that situation.  

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

It breaks my heart also. Here is another terrible story, a passenger learned that her mother had died back at home. The article does not say if she was allowed off to attend the funeral, my guess is no. I hope I am wrong but I suspect that conditions are going to get worse as time passes.

"We are trying to somehow reach the State Department in hopes they will get us off here, Vana Mendizabal said in a phone call from the couple's cabin. We are confined to our cabins, we're breathing recirculated air, and it's not a healthy environment for us to be staying in. We just want to get off the ship, she said. A friend with whom the Mendizabals are traveling learned Thursday that her mother had died back home, news that compounded their group's sense of urgency."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/honeymooner-among-61-people-on-cruise-ship-confirmed-as-having-coronavirus/2020/02/07/30a980b4-4961-11ea-8a1f-de1597be6cbc_story.html

3 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

It breaks my heart also. Here is another terrible story, a passenger learned that her mother had died back at home. The article does not say if she was allowed off to attend the funeral, my guess is no. I hope I am wrong but I suspect that conditions are going to get worse as time passes.

"We are trying to somehow reach the State Department in hopes they will get us off here, Vana Mendizabal said in a phone call from the couple's cabin. We are confined to our cabins, we're breathing recirculated air, and it's not a healthy environment for us to be staying in. We just want to get off the ship, she said. A friend with whom the Mendizabals are traveling learned Thursday that her mother had died back home, news that compounded their group's sense of urgency."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/asia_pacific/honeymooner-among-61-people-on-cruise-ship-confirmed-as-having-coronavirus/2020/02/07/30a980b4-4961-11ea-8a1f-de1597be6cbc_story.html

Dang!  That's just awful!  I'm sure there is a unique story behind everyone's experience.  And, I can't imagine the crew isn't effected, not only with their health but economically.   I don't know how many  would be tipping at this point and many have families at home that count on that income.   At least another week and a half to go ... I hope they  are all able to hang in there. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Dang!  That's just awful!  I'm sure there is a unique story behind everyone's experience.  And, I can't imagine the crew isn't effected, not only with their health but economically.   I don't know how many  would be tipping at this point and many have families at home that count on that income.   At least another week and a half to go ... I hope they  are all able to hang in there. 

The following was posted on David Abel's Facebook page advising him to close his air vents. The Chinese government is now saying that the virus is able to transfer through the air. Imagine being in an inside cabin with 4 people.

The Shanghai government held a press conference on the afternoon of Saturday (8th). It was the first time that the corona virus has been confirmed to be airborne.

https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/cnnews/20200208/bkn-20200208160141293-0208_00952_001.html?fbclid=IwAR23eXsRhOfaXEkuvjGRQyzORfLY1MagygIqnKp39tit83ajeVCZJS-aC7c

Edited by bluesea321
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

Very sad indeed.  Her spirits seemed to be up when she posted this on the 6th which should answer questions about alcohol!

image.png.48a873b00a6dfdcebf5ce07b3f4a5cdc.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, chipmaster said:

Keeping these passengers on the ship has not resulted in "lots of transmission". There is no "spiraling count on the ship" and it is not a "recipe for EVERYONE getting it". You must not have read that the passengers are isolated in their cabins. 😁

The passengers are isolated from each other (except for their cabin mate/s) to prevent transmission of the virus within the group. There is absolutely no indication that the addition three people who tested positive have contracted the virus since the quarantine was imposed. The original carrier was on the ship for five or seven days before disembarking in Hong Kong. He had no symptoms at that time, but unfortunately he had infected at least 64 people on the ship, and there may be more discovered.

It is believed that there is an incubation period of 14 days. Once they are past that point, these people quarantined on the ship, should be in the clear.

35 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

We are confined to our cabins, we're breathing recirculated air, and it's not a healthy environment for us to be staying in.

1 hour ago, bluesea321 said:

We are not sick at the moment but there is a major concern that circulating air on this ship can make people sick.”

17 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

The following was posted on David Abel's Facebook page advising him to close his air vents.

The. Air. Does. Not. Recirculate. In. The. Cabins. With. The. Rest. Of. The. Ship.

Edited by Outerdog
  • Like 6

30 minutes ago, bluesea321 said:

The following was posted on David Abel's Facebook page advising him to close his air vents. The Chinese government is now saying that the virus is able to transfer through the air. Imagine being in an inside cabin with 4 people.

The Shanghai government held a press conference on the afternoon of Saturday (8th). It was the first time that the corona virus has been confirmed to be airborne.

https://hk.on.cc/hk/bkn/cnt/cnnews/20200208/bkn-20200208160141293-0208_00952_001.html?fbclid=IwAR23eXsRhOfaXEkuvjGRQyzORfLY1MagygIqnKp39tit83ajeVCZJS-aC7c

People on David Abel's facebook page have been saying that for days now...first thought when I heard that these people had a/c coming into the cabins.