Diamond Princess passenger "tested positive for Wuhan coronavirus"

gvre

11 hours ago, voljeep said:

so, where are you in the cancelling phase  - and do you have CFAR insurance ?

I have some travel insurance, but it will not cover me for cancelling for any reason.  As they've cancelled all Diamond sailings up to and including 14th March and I sail on the 15th March, I am now just waiting for Princess to cancel so that I can get my full refund.  With 3 further cases announced earlier today, I'm sure it won't be long until I get the call from them. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, capriccio said:

You really shouldn't be posting something without including a reliable source.

It was mentioned in David’s FB blog a couple of hours ago as he’d heard this from another passenger but who knows if it’s true. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, V_icki_e said:

I have some travel insurance, but it will not cover me for cancelling for any reason.  As they've cancelled all Diamond sailings up to and including 14th March and I sail on the 15th March, I am now just waiting for Princess to cancel so that I can get my full refund.  With 3 further cases announced earlier today, I'm sure it won't be long until I get the call from them. 

If I was in your position I would wait. It is highly likely Princess will cancel your cruise. If they do have a departure on that date, they will probably make a lot of changes to the itinerary. You should then be given some options.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, DivotMaker said:

This is what surprised me.  I saw a photo earlier of three females taking a group selfie, couldn't have been more than 6" apart.

Pure speculation.  The separation rule only applies to folks of different cabins not to cabinmates and three are from the same cabin.  

It would be stupid to require those who share a cabin to need to separate while outside.

• Like 2

A summary from the latest update from David Abel on Saturday evening Japan time:

The ship has headed out to sea overnight to use the desalinators etc.

2 or 3 more passengers have been confirmed as having the virus - the official number that David has heard is two but media are reporting three. There has been no word whether the quarantine will be extended or not. 

More passengers have reported raised temperatures. Swabs have been taken and a helicopter and coastguard ship will be taking them off tomorrow. 

Princess are negotiating with the Japanese authorities so that they can provide laundry services to all passengers.

Passengers are being given FCC for a free cruise, presumably equal  to the cost of this cruise although David didn't mention the amount.

They have been told not to use the gloves they were issued with when having their deck walks. Instead it's sanitizer and instructions to wash hands thoroughly on return to the cabin.

I think that was all. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

47 minutes ago, SakeDad said:

The same 3 movies....over and over and over and over and over and over

Princess Cruises and also Mr David Abel on the ship, have reported that there are a lot of new movies and also extra TV channels. I think they would know what the real situation is. 🙂

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Pushka said:

It was mentioned in David’s FB blog a couple of hours ago as he’d heard this from another passenger but who knows if it’s true. 

Agreed...however it would be unusual if people from each country are not spending their time trying to contact their political officials and government regarding an emergency evacuation. The passengers were given a list of relevant numbers for each and every country. I am sure the Japanese would welcome the departure of any      citizens of other countries

8 hours ago, caribill said:

How come there is no panic about that?  That is not theoretical, it is real.

There is no panic about 5,000 people dying a month of the flu because there will be tens of millions to hundreds of millions infected by it.  If 100 million people are infected with NCOV with a 2 percent mortality rate then 2 million people will die.  Comparisons to the seasonal flu need to stop.

• Like 7

86 more deaths in China yesterday from this virus. In the US roughly 55 people die per day from seasonal flu on an annual basis. With 19-40 million infected. Here we have around 35000 infected with 86 dead yesterday. Still want to compare this to seasonal flu in lethality?

• Like 2

1 minute ago, clskinsfan said:

86 more deaths in China yesterday from this virus. In the US roughly 55 people die per day from seasonal flu on an annual basis. With 19-40 million infected. Here we have around 35000 infected with 86 dead yesterday. Still want to compare this to seasonal flu in lethality?

In fact we don't know how many people are infected in China, for reasons indicated at length in prior posts. We do know that (last I heard) only two or three people outside of China have died. So I want to compare this to other examples of wild speculation and irrational panic, and suggest that we all try to keep calm.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, C1nnabar said:

In fact we don't know how many people are infected in China, for reasons indicated at length in prior posts. We do know that (last I heard) only two or three people outside of China have died. So I want to compare this to other examples of wild speculation and irrational panic, and suggest that we all try to keep calm.

It also is taking people some time to die from it. An accelerating death rate should be expected until they get control of it. As the number of people critical with the disease continue to rise. I agree keep calm. But dont try to compare this virus to seasonal flu either. Because they arent even close to each other.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

It also is taking people some time to die from it. An accelerating death rate should be expected until they get control of it. As the number of people critical with the disease continue to rise. I agree keep calm. But dont try to compare this virus to seasonal flu either. Because they arent even close to each other.

Am I correct in understanding there is nothing much that can be done for the people that have this virus in their system...it runs it course which varies from patient to patient but no real meds other than reducing the symptoms. We now have one death in the US.

14 minutes ago, clskinsfan said:

At this time, we don't even have enough date to jump to those conclusions either.

1 minute ago, kathy49 said:

Am I correct in understanding there is nothing much that can be done for the people that have this virus in their system...it runs it course which varies from patient to patient but no real meds other than reducing the symptoms. We now have one death in the US.

Supportive care. I haven't heard whether antivirals are helpful or not.

22 minutes ago, kathy49 said:

We now have one death in the US.

Where was that?  I have read in a statement from the US Embassy that a 60 year old American citizen (with no other identifying information) died yesterday in a Wuhan hospital.

Edited by capriccio
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, capriccio said:

Where was that?  I have read in a statement from the US Embassy that a 60 year old American citizen (with no other identifying information) died yesterday in a Wuhan hospital.

I clearly need a fact checker...yes it is a US citizen that lived in or was in Wuhan at time of death. Very sorry.

From Twitter:

CLIA Statement on 2019-Novel Coronavirus Outbreak

WASHINGTON, DC (7 FEB 2020)—Cruise Lines International Association (CLIA), the leading voice of the global cruise industry, issued today the following statement in response to recent developments concerning the 2019-novel coronavirus outbreak and its impact on the global cruise industry.

“The health and safety of cruise passengers and crew is and remains the number one priority of CLIA and its member lines, which make up over 90% of ocean-going cruise capacity worldwide.

Given the evolving nature of the ongoing 2019-novel coronavirus outbreak—and based upon prevailing guidance from global health authorities, including the World Health Organization (WHO)—CLIA Members have adopted the following enhanced protocols for ocean-going guests and crew who have recently traveled from or through China, including Hong Kong and Macau. These enhanced policies, which are in effect as of 7 February 2020, build upon those which were implemented on 31 January 2020 and continue to allow for informed decisions on a case-by-case basis whether a guest or crewmember will be permitted to board.

• CLIA Members are to deny boarding to all persons who have traveled from, visited or transited via airports in China, including Hong Kong and Macau, within 14 days before embarkation. 
  • CLIA Members are to deny boarding to all persons who, within 14 days before embarkation, have had close contact with, or helped care for, anyone suspected or diagnosed as having Coronavirus, or who is currently subject to health monitoring for possible exposure to Novel Coronavirus. 
  • CLIA Members are to conduct preboarding screening necessary to effectuate these prevention measures. Enhanced screening and initial medical support are to be provided, as needed, to any persons exhibiting symptoms of suspected Novel Coronavirus.

In coordination with cruise lines, medical experts and regulators around the world, CLIA and its member lines will continue to closely monitor for new developments related to the coronavirus and will modify these policies as necessary with the utmost consideration for the health and safety of passengers and crew. Importantly, the cruise industry is one of the most well-equipped and experienced when it comes to managing and monitoring health conditions of those onboard, with outbreak prevention and response measures in place year-round. Furthermore, ships must be fitted with onboard medical facilities, with shipboard medical professionals available around the clock, 24/7, to provide initial medical care in the event of illness and help prevent disease transmission.”

With no disrespect to the people trapped for weeks...

Do you think they are missing the barrel chairs about now?

I can't even imagine being in an inside cabin for weeks with only a bed and a desk chair.

My back hurts just typing this.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

4 minutes ago, voljeep said:

are passengers allowed to have , say,  beer and wine delivered to their cabins now … for a charge, of course

The early reports from David Abel said that alchohol had been banned.

5 minutes ago, voljeep said:

are passengers allowed to have , say,  beer and wine delivered to their cabins now … for a charge, of course

Where did you see that?

I didn't see it on the Princess site (https://www.princess.com/news/notices_and_advisories/notices/diamond-princess-update.html)

There is a video with an update as of yesterday evening available.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2