Worst canelation policy in the cruise industry

The policies of this cruise line are truly horrific.  I learned that my mother who has cancer, has only days left, and I called Royal Caribbean to ask not for a refund, but only to credit our cruise to another time after the funeral.  They said, that because my mother was not on the cruise, they could not do anything.   There are no exceptions.  They said, the only thing they would offer is that if I wanted to do a name change and give part of my cruise to someone else, I could so long as my wife still went on the cruise.  Essentially saying she can forego her mother in laws funeral and go on a cruise with someone else.  I will tell anyone who will listen about this policy and never cruise with this line again!

I should also add that several years ago, I got sick just before a Carnival cruise and called the company explained what happened to me, and they allowed me to take my paid in full cruise fare and apply it to another cruise 2 months later.  That situation was not nearly as serious as my mother's.  RCL - Never Again!

• Like 2

Are insurance rules different in the US? I assume you are from the US?

Several years ago my father had a stroke only 2 days before we travelled and we had to cancel. We provided a certificate from the doctor and our insurance company covered all the costs.

Or maybe you didn't have insurance....... in which case, I'm sorry to say, these sad situations happen all the time and why should RC bear the costs - that's what insurance is for

Edited by Bobal
  • Like 22

1 minute ago, Bobal said:

I'm sorry to say, these sad situations happen all the time and why should RC bear the costs - that's what insurance is for

No, this is what people have grown used to in a heartless world where profits are the name of the game and customer care is irrelevant

• Like 6
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Familytravelsto said:

They said, that because my mother was not on the cruise, they could not do anything. 

I should also add that several years ago, I got sick just before a Carnival cruise

First, You do realize what you just posted right? On Carnival you were sick so they gave you something. If it were you that was sick again RCL may have given you something.

Second, it is near impossible to book a cruise thru anyone without them trying to sell you trip insurance. At some point you refused it. You knew your mother was sick and potentially dying, if it were me I wouldn't even consider booking anything without insurance.

Third, and this is a crappy thing to say, but, how are they supposed to know? What if you just changed your mind and now are making up a mother with cancer? A LONG LONG time ago you could get reduced airfare just telling the airlines you were going to a funeral, people started to exploit this policy, as people will. Then you had to provide a death certificate to get the reduced fair. Now I have no idea if it is even offered.

• Like 14

1 minute ago, compman9 said:

No, this is what people have grown used to in a heartless world where profits are the name of the game and customer care is irrelevant

My wife is sick, when can we expect a check from you to help us pay the mortgage? Or are you too selfish to help out? Your personal profits "are the name of the game". You don't care about people.

Put YOUR money were your mouth is.

• Like 14
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, KansasK said:

There must be a way to challenge this decision. Go higher with this. 

Not to be heartless but why should there be a different decision.  

Compassion would be nice but lack of insurance wis the reason for the loss.

• Like 16

25 minutes ago, Familytravelsto said:

A heartless company who does not care about customer loyalty in any way!

Nope,  in this case the "customer" has a problem that is in no way connected to RCCL. 

I'm sure we all realize that the OP is angry and extremely upset, anybody would be in this situation. 

One would think that with all the ships out sailing and much competition, that a thing called GOOD WILL will prevail.  Guess not.

But please try to be understanding all you cc's and stop quoting the Rules and Cancel policy.

This just goes beyond it and some compassion should prevail.  Especially since they just want credit and plan on being future customers.  To me that is the part that is a slap in the face to the OP.

Any time someone calls a customer service person for a situation like this, it should immediately be turned over to a supervisor who has more authority to judge the situation and best handle.  Good will has been lost on an industry that might one day regret it.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, compman9 said:

That is so very sad

And also so very predictable

Global multi-billion companies are almost always protected by a lack of consumer protection, especially in the US

Your rates in the UK reflect the cost of your protection.

• Like 7

Sadly you will run into this same policy with any cruise line.  If you chose not to purchase trip insurance, cancelling is on you.  Every cruise line offers insurance for these type of reasons.  I don't think you will find any other line that would just move it either.  Some may but often charge a hefty fee to do so as well.  Carnival won't even allow just a normal name change if you booked say their early saver fares without quite a large change fee.  

I am very sorry to hear about your mom.  Though honestly I am not even sure some insurance companies cover the reason being related to someone else, unless it is the cancel for any reason type policies.  

• Like 3

No insurance, I guess.

I would think there's some insurance that would cover cancellation with regard to the health of close relatives, including those who are not going on the cruise.

Not sure what Royal's insurance does but other lines might give a credit IF the cancellor purchased their insurance.

Edited by makiramarlena

I am sorry to hear about your MIL.  But at what point then should a cruise line offer a refund or change in sailing.  For you it is your MIL.  Next person will want to cancel or change for a grandmother.  Then the next person will expect the same thing for an aunt or uncle.  Once an exception is made it is hard to go back to what the original contract was.  I hope you get a resolution for your situation but I do not think RCI is out of line by refusing your request.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, ppmanusa said:

Check and see if the credit card you booked with offers any type of trip protection. 

My Chase Sapphire card covers cancellation events.  Haven't a need to use it and see if any problems.

I am going to assume you did not purchase cruise insurance?  If no, call RC and speak to a new representative. Ask if you can speak to resolutions.  Tell them you would be happy to submit a doctor's note and are only asking to move your sailing a little way out.  If that does not work, see if your credit card company has trip insurance.  I hope you can get this resolved.  

• Like 2