Considering Edge...what are the IV complaints?

Pier290

24 minutes ago, Pier290 said:

Yuck! Those look terrible.  Like in a bubble. No thx

They are 52 square feet. Larger than an IV and less apt to close in inclement weather. The IV in my opinion wasn't worth $600 more for 7 nights.

• Thanks 1

The room pictured is a traditional verandah room, with a sliding glass door to the balcony.  There is no window out on the balcony that could be closed in bad weather, it is open to the elements at all times, just like verandahs on other ships.  As you can see, it was raining the day I took the picture.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

The room pictured is a traditional verandah room, with a sliding glass door to the balcony.  There is no window out on the balcony that could be closed in bad weather, it is open to the elements at all times, just like verandahs on other ships.  As you can see, it was raining the day I took the picture.

Was it big enough to sit outside with a coffee in the am or glass of wine before dinner? That's all we want it for.

I can see how many would like the IV and it does have pros to it, but it certainly is not for everyone.  I love being outside and reading with the smell and feel of the sea air, and an IV doesn't provide that.  It is like opening a window at home and sitting in front of it.  It does enlarge the cabin and gives you more space.  If you love to sit and hang out on your balcony, this certainly isn't a balcony.  I didn't prefer the IV and probably wouldn't book one again, unless it was Alaska.  I can see it coming in handy for still viewing and staying in the warmth of your cabin.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Did u like this cabin?

On 2/12/2020 at 1:10 PM, Pier290 said:

Considering sailing on the Edge but what are the cons to the Infinite Veranda cabins??   I didn't pay attention to the rants when Edge first came out because I had no interest.....but am interested now because we might consider sailing on her......

And go........!

First, the edge is a special ship.  So many great features. Not your grandmother’s celebrity ship. However as a person who had an infinite balcony then was able to upgrade on our last January 2019 edge cruise. We didn’t like it.  It seemed very narrow and closed in. It is a window cabin imo with a window that doesn’t even open all of the time. The captain can close it when he/she deems necessary.   I suggest if you do not book a sky suite book an aft balcony as it is a traditional balcony.  I think a big problem with the infinite balcony is the price. It should be priced a little more then a window cabin. That is really what it is 

we will be again sailing on the edge next month and look forward to the sailing in a sky suite s1

Edited by Cruise a holic

Cruising Teacher, for the most part yes.  The room was ok, there was a sliding glassdoor to the balcony,and I was pleased that it had a proper blackout capability.  The closet was tiny, but I understand nearly all edge stateroom closets are.  

However, I did not like the ship and won’t be booking another edge class ship in the future.

Edited by cruisestitch
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, cruisestitch said:

Cruising Teacher, for the most part yes.  The room was ok, there was a sliding glassdoor to the balcony,and I was pleased that it had a proper blackout capability.  The closet was tiny, but I understand nearly all edge stateroom closets are.  

However, I did not like the ship and won’t be booking another edge class ship in the future.

I'm booked on the Apex Mediterranean for May. Thought I'd give it a try but I do love the S class ships. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cruisestitch said:

Thank u so much! Appreciate the feedback! Happy cruising 🚢

I think that the people that love the Edge are more RCL and Carnival types of cruisers vs. Crystal types of cruisers.  Younger vs older.

The experience is definitely more loud and shouty vs refined...  More party ship vs quiet and relaxed.

More queueing up for a glass of wine vs having the instant attention we have all been accustomed to with X S class.

The low review ratings are laughable...

There are many threads on this topic...

Most either like the ship or won't sail it again.  I am in the latter category.

Edited by NMTraveller

54 minutes ago, Oville said:

And you know this how?

Carnival and RCL are the big and loud and shouty ships.  You also get the Disney cruisers that think that Eden is the best thing since sliced bread.  LOL

The Edge is closer to RCL than S class.  Loud and shouty.  Party central.

The younger cruisers were witnessed by myself on the Edge as on RCL and Carnival.

They took out the small intimate places on the Edge and replaced them with large and loud and shouty places.

I used to be young and I liked Oasis, Anthem, etc.  Not anymore.

The specialty dining on Edge was loud and shouty except for Eden.  But then again you can hear the entertainment upstairs.  Definitely not a sophisticated experience.

Edited by NMTraveller

2 minutes ago, NMTraveller said:

Carnival and RCL are the big and loud and shouty ships.  You also get the Disney cruisers that think that Eden is the best thing since sliced bread.  

The Edge is closer to RCL than S class.  Loud and shouty.  Party central.

Like I said I'm prepared to give it a try. If I dont like it I dont have to sail on her again. First time in the Mediterranean visiting all these countries so I'm happy. The cabin is just a place to sleep I'm out all day.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

I think that the people that love the Edge are more RCL and Carnival types of cruisers vs. Crystal types of cruisers.  Younger vs older.

Well, I'm not.  I liked the Edge a lot - an am considering giving HAL a try.

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, vermonter16 said:

Well, I'm not.  I liked the Edge a lot - an am considering giving HAL a try.

We’ve tried HAL, 3 cruises but not our cup of tea.  Also sailed Oceania and Viking Ocean, loved Viking and Oceania just OK.

On the Edge we had a fabulous meal at Eden and did not find Fine Cut “loud and shouty” except during the Martini Bar light show.  We’ve been on 4 Edge cruises and never felt it was like sailing on Royal and probably not the Fun Ships😉.  We’ve been devoted Celebrity fans since the Solstice came out and we loved the Edge.

Here is what Edge Class doesn’t have:

Climbing Wall

Zip Line

Skating Rink

Bumper Cars

Hairy Leg Contest

Flow Rider

Water Slides

Merry Go Round

World’s Sexiest Man

Beers by The Bucket

Kids in Adult Hot Tubs

Announcements All Day long

Roller Coasters

Go-Kart tracts

Edge is not a Royal or Carnival experience by any means.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

The Edge is missing a BUNCH of public spaces.  That contributes to its crowded and loud and shouty feel.

This is one of the best Edge reviews that I have seen.  I agree with the review based upon my one and last sailing on E class.  If I had read this review first I would not have sailed on the Edge.

https://anncavittfisher.com/2019/02/21/has-celebrity-cruises-sailed-over-the-edge/

Renaming the Martini Bar to Grand Central Station would be more appropriate.

Celebrity Edge Class vs. Celebrity Solstice Class — what’s missing, what’s new?
Missing Spaces New Spaces
  • The Library
  • The Hideaway
  • The Game Room
  • The Sky Observation Lounge
  • The Passport Bar (across from guest relations)
  • Cellar Masters wine bar
  • The World Class Bar
  • The Ensemble Lounge
  • The Lawn Club
  • Baskeball court
  • Video Arcade
  • The Mast Bar
  • Access to the bow of the ship — limited. Suite guests have access in the Retreat. The only other options are from the Spa and the Exercise Center.

• Larger version of Café al Bacio coffee bar
  • Eden: a three story space on the rear of the ship. 1st story is the Eden restaurant. The remaining space is supposed to replace ALL of the other spaces that are now gone.
  • The Rooftop Garden: a new space that replaces the Lawn Club.
  • Magic Carpet: a cantilevered space that hangs over the edge of the ship — functions as a bar or restaurant, depending on the time of day. But — on days at sea, may be too windy to be enjoyable.
  • The Retreat Sundeck, pool, pool bar, and Retreat Lounge reserved for suite passengers.
Edited by NMTraveller
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Oville said:

We’ve tried HAL, 3 cruises but not our cup of tea.  Also sailed Oceania and Viking Ocean, loved Viking and Oceania just OK.

On the Edge we had a fabulous meal at Eden and did not find Fine Cut “loud and shouty” except during the Martini Bar light show.  We’ve been on 4 Edge cruises and never felt it was like sailing on Royal and probably not the Fun Ships😉.  We’ve been devoted Celebrity fans since the Solstice came out and we loved the Edge.

Here is what Edge Class doesn’t have:

Climbing Wall

Zip Line

Skating Rink

Bumper Cars

Hairy Leg Contest

Flow Rider

Water Slides

Merry Go Round

World’s Sexiest Man

Beers by The Bucket

Kids in Adult Hot Tubs

Announcements All Day long

Roller Coasters

Go-Kart tracts

Edge is not a Royal or Carnival experience by any means.

Shucks, are these some of the great reasons which The Edge and X ships are so appealing, for many here and others?

I better hurry and get back on board and soon!

Thanks for sharing this list....   😎

bon voyage

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, NMTraveller said:

The experience is definitely more loud and shouty vs refined...  More party ship vs quiet and relaxed.

More queueing up for a glass of wine vs having the instant attention we have all been accustomed to with X S class.

The low review ratings are laughable...

There are many threads on this topic...

Most either like the ship or won't sail it again.  I am in the latter category.

WRONG! And offensive!

You have a known  bias or dislike against E Class....

Many trad X cruisers are very happy with the EDGE.

Very Upscale experience....nothing Carnival about it!

Edited by hcat
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bo1953 said:

Shucks, are these some of the great reasons which The Edge and X ships are so appealing, for many here and others?

I better hurry and get back on board and soon!

Thanks for sharing this list....   😎

bon voyage

If you call appealing a ship that only has reviews of a 3.5 then yes.  There are a bunch of negative reviews to get such a low low score.

For myself X taking out many of the public places and views makes it a less desirable ship.

https://anncavittfisher.com/2019/02/21/has-celebrity-cruises-sailed-over-the-edge/

This is one of the best comprehensive reviews of the Edge that I could find.

I too kept on looking for a place that I could call my place on the ship and I could not find it.

Do I have a bias?  Yes.  I sailed on the ship and I did not like the total lack of public spaces and views.  Everyone has an opinion and bias after they sailed.

Some like crowded, loud and shouty.  Others like a quiet place to go have a glass of wine in the evenings.

Edited by NMTraveller

On 2/12/2020 at 3:12 PM, Pier290 said:

Why are they building more ships with these infinite verandas??  We always sail in a balcony cabin......I don't think I'm interested in the IV.

I like the feel of being outside on the balcony lounging with food and drinks and sun.....

Because not every ship needs to be the same. Of a soon to be 11 ship fleet, 2 have the IV’s. Plenty of traditional balconies to choose from. 

We have sailed the Edge in an IV and Iiked it. We have Apex booked for next year. We also have over 30 cruises in traditional balconies and loved them too. 

One of the things I don't like about what Royal is doing to the Oasis class ships is making them all the same as they drydock them. Sure the shows are different but most of the restaurants are the same, adding same slides, etc. 

Better to have some differences than for all to be the same. 

mac_tlc

• Thanks 1

I’m Elite Plus on Celebrity and just turned 60.  Not a youngster.  LOVED Edge.  Have sailed on HAL, Carnival, Costa, Royal, NCL and MSC‘S Yacht Club.  I say this to contradict the opinion that Edge is for people who like “crowded and shouty.“

As for the IV, it depends on what one uses their veranda for.  I don’t want to be in direct sun so I loved it.  The glass was so much clearer than that on a regular balcony cabin.  No problem with noise from the adjoining cabins.

Edited by helen haywood
  • Thanks 1