RCL Stock

heidikay

3 hours ago, RedJessi said:

How are folks feeling about where the stock is currently sitting?At $161.11 a share, I'm wondering how much longer to hold on it.

I bought a lot of the stock when it was so low at the beginning of Covid. I sold enough to recover my initial investment. I'm playing with house money so it doesn't (necessarily) cost me anything to hold onto it. I'm enjoying the slow rise. It set a new record high again today.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I bought a lot of the stock when it was so low at the beginning of Covid. I sold enough to recover my initial investment. I'm playing with house money so it doesn't (necessarily) cost me anything to hold onto it. I'm enjoying the slow rise. It set a new record high again today.

Back in 2008 I purchased 100 shares for $16 a share just to get the shareholder benefits for our cruises.  When the priced dropped to $5 a share, my wife said that we should buy more.  What the hell does she know?  LOL

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Two months ago, I saw weakness in the cruise pricing into this fall.

The past two weeks have been explosive on pricing similar to last year at this time.

My crystal ball might be broken.

The cruise prices have been approaching the prices of all inclusive resorts

Maybe it is the airfare difference?

I have always felt in the past that cruising was ALWAYS cheaper than any alternative vacation but something is amiss here.

I have two very frugal and well priced cruises this year and next year.

I am straining to buy more through my excellent TA but the margins are getting very thin.

They are on older ships during the shoulder seasons.

My higher prices are good music to stockholders.It is hard to complain about the prices when so many potential cruisers are willing to purchase the experience.

I loathe to say it, "Until consumers stop buying, the prices will go up."

"Supply and demand........"  Ouch..............

More like..

😭

7 hours ago, Wineaux007 said:

Back in 2008 I purchased 100 shares for $16 a share just to get the shareholder benefits for our cruises.  When the priced dropped to $5 a share, my wife said that we should buy more.  What the hell does she know?  LOL

I REALLY wanted to buy some back then. I knew (actually hoped) that it would have to go back up. I wanted to spend $10K of our retirement savings but several things kept me from doing it. We didn't have a lot of money to risk, my wife was very skeptical and I knew nothing about buying/selling stocks. I have kicked myself in the a$$ many times over for not doing it. You know what that $10K would be worth today?

7 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

I REALLY wanted to buy some back then. I knew (actually hoped) that it would have to go back up. I wanted to spend $10K of our retirement savings but several things kept me from doing it. We didn't have a lot of money to risk, my wife was very skeptical and I knew nothing about buying/selling stocks. I have kicked myself in the a$$ many times over for not doing it. You know what that $10K would be worth today?

Hindsight is wonderful isn't it?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

10 hours ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

Bought 100 shares in 2009 for $1,800 for the shareholder credit- reinvested dividends - now have 129 shares worth about $21,000.  

3 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

Hindsight is wonderful isn't it?

I bought 200 shares in March 2020 and I wish I had bought more.  I am glad that I bought the 200 shares because I have made more in OBC then I paid for the 200 shares.  

• Like 2

We were on a partial canal crossing on the Jewel in Mar 2009. The stock had hit rock bottom and was trading around $5.  Everyone was depressed.  At the C&A party the cruise director and staff was trying to pump up the crowd saying “We’ll survive.  We’re strong.  It’s gonna be ok.”  Everyone told me to go home and buy for the OBC.  I got home from the cruise and it had already risen to $6 and felt I missed out but we still bought a couple hundred shares mainly for the OBC Benefit.

Have since bought and sold it off multiple times never perfectly timing it,  but definitely always getting a notable amount of more shares when rebuying.

Then in 2020 sold it off thankfully before the free fall, and bought back in near the low and added a bunch more cash when I bought back in.  I never thought RCI would become such a significant part of my portfolio, but it’s now become a sizable portion of it.  It has definitely made up for the many stock misses I have had over the years and then some. 

I hate what the product has become since I first sailed in 1992, but as a stock holder I am very happy.

• Like 1

This thread makes me sad.  I was waiting to purchase at $40 a few years back.  It kept dropping and dropping until $41.  It never hit $40 since and has kept going up.  Yes, definitely regretting I didn't buy it at $41.

• Like 1

My broker laughed at me when I told him I wanted to buy the stock.  Bought just for the OBC credits, buying the required 100 shares.  Tried to get me to sell it when it starting to trend down, but bottomed out and started back up.  

He is not laughing now.  😄 

• Like 3

5 hours ago, cruiseaholic777 said:

I bought 100 share the other day for 16,000$ and sold it the next day for 16,560$.

You can use the statement showing you owned the shares to claim the shareholder OBC on any booked sailing (that should work for several months in the future as well).

On 7/12/2024 at 5:14 PM, gqboy1 said:

This thread makes me sad.  I was waiting to purchase at $40 a few years back.  It kept dropping and dropping until $41.  It never hit $40 since and has kept going up.  Yes, definitely regretting I didn't buy it at $41.

The stock price got as low as $19.50 during the shutdown. I didn't get it at the bottom but got close. It's now trading at $167.72.  At 100 shares that's a pretty hefty profit, not to mention the onboard credit bonus.

2 hours ago, Biker19 said:

You can use the statement showing you owned the shares to claim the shareholder OBC on any booked sailing (that should work for several months in the future as well).

Is this correct? I thought you had to own the shares when you applied for the credit. I've always submitted a current statement to show that I own them. You're saying I don't need a current statement, I can send one dated months ago?

Posted (edited)
8 minutes ago, cruiseguy1016 said:

You're saying I don't need a current statement, I can send one dated months ago?

Officially, I think you need one less than three months old, but anything less than a year old should work.

Biker, who used the same statement for 1.5 years to claim the shareholder OBC.

Edited by Biker19
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Biker19 said:

Officially, I think you need one less than three months old, but anything less than a year old should work.

Biker, who used the same statement for 1.5 years to claim the shareholder OBC.

I've had a rejection because I used a statement over 3 months old. I used it just to avoid having to black out all the private information again. I had to resubmit with a newer statement.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, livingonthebeach said:

The stock price got as low as $19.50 during the shutdown. I didn't get it at the bottom but got close. It's now trading at $167.72.  At 100 shares that's a pretty hefty profit, not to mention the onboard credit bonus.

Yes, those who missed out are well aware.  😂

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, Biker19 said:

I am an old school guy....doing something like this just feels wrong

• Like 2

1 hour ago, gc said:

I am an old school guy....doing something like this just feels wrong

On the other hand I've been in and out and in and out and in. I just put in for out through 2026 booked cruises. It's possible I might sell between now and 2026. Nothing says you have to hold constantly. If rcl keeps going up at some point I might be tempted, depends on the charts and what's going on in my life. I'm a trader in my heart.

1 minute ago, firefly333 said:

On the other hand I've been in and out and in and out and in. I just put in for out through 2026 booked cruises. It's possible I might sell between now and 2026. Nothing says you have to hold constantly. If rcl keeps going up at some point I might be tempted, depends on the charts and what's going on in my life. I'm a trader in my heart.

Exactly! There are those who even day trade RCL and on any specific day whether they cruise on that day or not, may own 100 or thousands of shares of the stock then sell them and get back on the saddle. Who's to say? Who's to judge?

4 hours ago, Ocean Boy said:

I've had a rejection because I used a statement over 3 months old. I used it just to avoid having to black out all the private information again. I had to resubmit with a newer statement.

The statement must be less than 90 days old and they have been known to enforce to the day.

Near the end of a quarter, I sent in my quarterly statement for shareholder credit.  RCL waited several days, then sent me a denial saying the statement was too.  On the day of denial, the statement was exactly 90 days old (still less than 3 months old, so I did not yet have a newer quarterly statement.  I was unhappy with them as the statement was less than 90 days old when the request was submitted.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Share price is certainly going to keep edging up. According the to the CEO, passengers haven't changed spending habits even though fares have gone up. They're spending like crazy onboard. Headlines about pain from inflation doesn't seem to effect leisure spending.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/07/16/royal-caribbean-leans-into-shorter-cruises-more-experiences.html

Edited by IrieBajan54
correction

To change the discussion slightly:

I was one to tie vacation demand in general to airfare and airline demand.

There are airlines starting to show distress, Spirit Airlines being one of them (discount, but maybe a canary in the coal mine) as well as a few others.

So far, cruising in general is still robust at the high end.

Do you think cruising is a lagging indicator in general compared to airlines or are they completely disconnected right now?

I believe this is on topic because how does one measure cruising vacation dollars against travel dollars in general which affects their stock prices?

Just throwing some thoughts into the discussion flow.

1 minute ago, Engineroom Snipe said:

To change the discussion slightly:

I was one to tie vacation demand in general to airfare and airline demand.

There are airlines starting to show distress, Spirit Airlines being one of them (discount, but maybe a canary in the coal mine) as well as a few others.

So far, cruising in general is still robust at the high end.

Do you think cruising is a lagging indicator in general compared to airlines or are they completely disconnected right now?

I believe this is on topic because how does one measure cruising vacation dollars against travel dollars in general which affects their stock prices?

Just throwing some thoughts into the discussion flow.

I think the two have always been somewhat connected.  In the past anyway, cruises out of San Juan were less expensive and Adventure often had close to sailing fire sales. Wasn't that due to the extra cost of flying to Puerto Rico compared to Florida?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, IrieBajan54 said:

Share price is certainly going to keep edging up. According the to the CEO, passengers haven't changed spending habits even though fares have gone up. They're spending like crazy onboard. Headlines about pain from inflation doesn't seem to effect leisure spending.

https://www.cnbc.com/2024/07/16/royal-caribbean-leans-into-shorter-cruises-more-experiences.html

I just read this article a few minutes before you posted.

The money is in the big ships on shorter itineraries. The ship seems to be the destination and consumers seem to be less shocked with spending on board as long as the total bill is within their budget.

I get the feeling like this is like a car salesman who customizes the sale upon the monthly payment.

I can sell you a premium 4 day experience where you are treated like royalty or I can sell you a 7 day experience where you just another cruise passenger.I can work one vacation over a 12 month loan, "What do you want?"

"I want the super deluxe 4 day experience over the 7 day average experience."

Very interesting.

• Like 2