Has anyone tried cancelling their upcoming cruise?

SwimCarrie

Very angry.  We are considering cancellation.  Our invoice from when we booked says we lose our deposit up through day 57.  We are at day 63.  We are being told HAL modified it’s policy and despite our invoice, we are being held to the 50% cancellation fees in the updated policy.  Also, we will lose all of our flight EZ airfare, not just a charge to reschedule a flight.  Yes, we have insurance, but not cancel for any reason insurance.  

Edited by swin26

42 minutes ago, swin26 said:

Very angry.  We are considering cancellation.  Our invoice from when we booked says we lose our deposit up through day 57.  We are at day 63.  We are being told HAL modified it’s policy and despite our invoice, we are being held to the 50% cancellation fees in the updated policy.  Also, we will lose all of our flight EZ airfare, not just a charge to reschedule a flight.  Yes, we have insurance, but not cancel for any reason insurance.  

Who’s telling you that?  Is it the misinformation line at HAL or your TA or PCC?  They cannot modify a contract without your agreement.

• Like 1

It has now been reported by The Washington Post that the coronavirus has been spreading around the Seattle area for the past six weeks.  This is bound to affect the cruises from Seattle to Alaska if it becomes more widespread.  People could pick it up and be asymptomatic and spread it on their cruise.  

Edited by Galley Slave

23 minutes ago, Galley Slave said:

It has now been reported by The Washington Post that the coronavirus has been spreading around the Seattle area for the past six weeks.  This is bound to affect the cruises from Seattle to Alaska if it becomes more widespread.  People could pick it up and be asymptomatic and spread it on their cruise.  

But, doesn’t that make you wonder how much more widespread this is? I mean, if it is wide spread, I doubt it would be neatly confined to Seattle. I think once they start testing on a wide scale basis in the US, we will realize that it’s already here, acts as a bad flu and any deaths that have already happened were diagnosed as “acute pneumonia” but were actually Covad-19. Just a theory and there is definitely no shortage of theories these days...

Stop the ride, I want to get off. 😊

31 minutes ago, newtocruiseinblue said:

But, doesn’t that make you wonder how much more widespread this is? I mean, if it is wide spread, I doubt it would be neatly confined to Seattle. I think once they start testing on a wide scale basis in the US, we will realize that it’s already here, acts as a bad flu and any deaths that have already happened were diagnosed as “acute pneumonia” but were actually Covad-19. Just a theory and there is definitely no shortage of theories these days...

I do tend to agree with you on this that it's been here and around the world for quite some time. How many cold/flu/respiratory/pneumonia cases have thankfully already come and gone (most with good outcomes just as any cold/flu season) in the last several months all over the world? China was not disclosing for lord who knows how long before the news broke and travel was curtailed. Couple that with the fact that to date so very few have actually been tested. Not at all discounting the severity of the situation but I do believe this animal had already left the barn and was roaming around well before we read the first news on this.  

• Like 6

45 minutes ago, Crusinsusan2 said:

I do tend to agree with you on this that it's been here and around the world for quite some time. How many cold/flu/respiratory/pneumonia cases have thankfully already come and gone (most with good outcomes just as any cold/flu season) in the last several months all over the world? China was not disclosing for lord who knows how long before the news broke and travel was curtailed. Couple that with the fact that to date so very few have actually been tested. Not at all discounting the severity of the situation but I do believe this animal had already left the barn and was roaming around well before we read the first news on this.  

Not sure I follow what you are saying. The virus definitely originated in China, in some animal -- they think it may have been the pangolin but this hasn't been confirmed -- in which it mutated enough to be transmitted to (and survive in) humans.

Had the virus been circulating elsewhere earlier, it would have certainly been detected elsewhere and we would see large clusters of infection similar to the initial one in China. Or are you suggesting that the US (and other countries) are less competent at diagnosis and/or more averse to disclosure than China?  :classic_dry:

38 minutes ago, cruisemom42 said:

Not sure I follow what you are saying. The virus definitely originated in China, in some animal -- they think it may have been the pangolin but this hasn't been confirmed -- in which it mutated enough to be transmitted to (and survive in) humans.

Had the virus been circulating elsewhere earlier, it would have certainly been detected elsewhere and we would see large clusters of infection similar to the initial one in China. Or are you suggesting that the US (and other countries) are less competent at diagnosis and/or more averse to disclosure than China?  :classic_dry:

Not at all. I have the upmost respect for the entire scientific community in the US that is working on this issue.

A new case just came up and NY tonight. In the last 24 hours, we’ve added Rhode Island, Chicago and New York to the list. When you couple that in with the cases of unknown origin, it is more widespread than was thought in the US even a week ago. 

If Novad-19 mimics a bad cold or flu, why would someone who hasn’t visited Italy or China; etc. be tested for this even three weeks ago?

And then there’s this: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/01/health/coronavirus-washington-spread.html

I’m in information overload from all of the news and reading this weekend. I keep hoping to find a glimmer if hope in it all for the travel community and all of the patients. I will happily leave it in the hands of the experts. 

I am not suggesting anything about the competence of the US or other countries in dealing with this. Nor am I speculating where this particular strain originated or by what means. What I am suggesting is that since the disclosure was so long in coming from China that most likely the virus has been percolating long before we knew about it and travel restrictions were put in place. Most cases prior to the minimal testing until now have already been tallied into the numbers with the normal cold/flu/mortality rate per season. Clusters of massive community spread flu are common it's just not on national media every year. Just to clarify: "the animal has already left the barn" statement is old school family slang for it's too late. I thought most folks reading would understand this.   

• Like 5

Just heard from a friend whose sister is currently on a cruise to Tahiti.  She spent to much time in the sun and when she went to board, they felt her head and said she had a fever and wouldn't let her board.  She got a cold bottle of water and held it to her face until it was cool and went back and they let her board.  This is crazy.

9 hours ago, *Miss G* said:

They cannot modify a contract without your agreement.

I think you'll find most contracts these days have clauses that say they can change polices anytime they want. Don't forget your cruise contract says they don't actually have to take you to any of the ports they said, or indeed any port.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Different circumstances in Washington state means circulation in the community there for weeks is a high probability. The first case in the US was a guy who came back from China to Washington state in early January and got sick.

They're doing complete genome sequencing of the virus from multiple patients as part of studying it. His virus genome had an unusual branch found in a very small percentage of samples. At least one person in the new cluster of cases in the Seattle area has had their virus sequenced and it shares that rarity. Makes it very likely he passed it on and it circulated in the community causing relatively mild cases until it hit that long term care facility like a bomb.

Edited by Cruising Is Bliss
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Two “Presumptive” cases now announced in Florida, based on state-level testing, awaiting official CDC confirmation. One in Manatee County (Bradenton/Sarasota airport) and one in Hillsborough County (Tampa), which is the most populated county outside Miami.

Edited by Caribbean Chris

5 hours ago, mrmoviezombie said:

I think you'll find most contracts these days have clauses that say they can change polices anytime they want. Don't forget your cruise contract says they don't actually have to take you to any of the ports they said, or indeed any port.

You're confusing the cruise contract with the published itinerary.  The published itinerary isn't a contract.  Contract law precludes unilateral changes by one party to the contract.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Caribbean Chris said:

Two “Presumptive” cases now announced in Florida, based on state-level testing, awaiting official CDC confirmation. One in Manatee County (Bradenton/Sarasota airport) and one in Hillsborough County (Tampa), which is the most populated county outside Miami.

For the week of 8/16-8/22, the CDC reports 18 reported new cases of the flu in Florida, The week before 24 were reported.  For this flu season, 9 children in Florida have died due to the flu.  The predominant strain is still listed as Type A 2009 (H1N1). This strain of influenza was also nicknamed "Swine Flu" during the 2009 nationwide influenza outbreak. Why has this Swine flu outbreak made national news?  Where is the concern that 9 children have died in Florida due to the flu?  No national news reporting on the Swine Flu? The corona virus has to be put into perspective.

http://www.floridahealth.gov/diseases-and-conditions/influenza/index.html

https://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Updated-Florida-influenza-report-565270131.html

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lazz said:

For the week of 8/16-8/22, the CDC reports 18 reported new cases of the flu in Florida, The week before 24 were reported.  For this flu season, 9 children in Florida have died due to the flu.  The predominant strain is still listed as Type A 2009 (H1N1). This strain of influenza was also nicknamed "Swine Flu" during the 2009 nationwide influenza outbreak. Why has this Swine flu outbreak made national news?  Where is the concern that 9 children have died in Florida due to the flu?  No national news reporting on the Swine Flu? The corona virus has to be put into perspective.

Where is the concern? Fighting influenza has been a national priority In the US for decades. Today we have drugs to treat it and a partially effective vaccine to help prevent it, adjusted annually.
https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-resources/pandemic-timeline-1930-and-beyond.htm

There’s plenty of concern about all the influenza deaths in Florida and a major national effort to prevent them. Shots are free under Health Insurance plans, Medicare, VA coverage, etc., a huge national expenditure. At my Florida grocery store, a flu shot is free AND you get a $10 gift card. Children over six months should be vaccinated annually.  There is enormous, expensive publicity annually reminding people to get flu shots.

But at best, about half of all adults get the shot, according to the CDC, maybe a little better % for the children. So, yeah - people do die. And it’s a free country -  so far, it’s not against the law to skip your annual flu shot for your family, even though you are endangering yourselves and other people. As it spreads each year, some people who are smart enough to get the vaccine will get the flu and maybe have a milder case, or not.

Meanwhile - to put it into perspective - there is no drug yet available to treat the new COVID-19 virus, and a vaccine is a year to 18 months away. The scientists are starting from scratch because there has never been a vaccine for any type of corona virus. The population needs to know the potential risk and what steps they can and should be taking. A lot is still unknown about it. Hence the publicity.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, shanni-shanni said:

New England Journal of Medicine article discusses, among other things, Covid-19 as compared to seasonal flu.

https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2003762

• Like 1

If you're over 65 and haven't had your pneumonia vaccine shot(s), now would be a good time to get them. Won't prevent the coronavirus but could help prevent bacterial pneumonia from complications.

Always a good idea anyway for Seniors.

Edited by TriumphGuy
  • Like 3

I saw an article the other day that the Carnival ships are going to offer full refunds if one shows up on embarkation day with a fever.  I thought that was an awesome thing to do for people.  Not sure if Holland is included in this?

On 3/1/2020 at 8:38 PM, mgetta3 said:

Just heard from a friend whose sister is currently on a cruise to Tahiti.  She spent to much time in the sun and when she went to board, they felt her head and said she had a fever and wouldn't let her board.  She got a cold bottle of water and held it to her face until it was cool and went back and they let her board.  This is crazy.

I haven't bought a thermometer in years. Mainly because there haven't been any little ones running around the house. Kids aren't very good at self diagnosis. As an adult, I have a pretty good inclination of when a cold or other illness is making an appearance. It seems silly to have to take your temperature before walking onto a plane or cruise ship. I use hand held thermometers at work constantly. They are notoriously unreliable. I don't think I can trust my vacation to somebody holding a scanning thermometer. One more item to add to my list of things you can't cruise without. I don't have paranoia about getting sick. That is a part of being a living, breathing human being. I worry about stupid people making crazy decisions based on little knowledge.

• Like 1

Viking has temporarily changed its cancellation policy.  As I understand it, they are allowing folks to cancel 24 hours ahead and receive a future cruise credit.

This to me is a very responsible thing to do, so that people don't feel obligated to board planes and appear for a cruise if they aren't feeling well to travel.  A healthier ship will result and there will be less spread of illness overall.

• Like 3

On 3/2/2020 at 2:23 PM, Nymich said:

I saw an article the other day that the Carnival ships are going to offer full refunds if one shows up on embarkation day with a fever.  I thought that was an awesome thing to do for people.  Not sure if Holland is included in this?

I think this is the only fair thing to do.  If they are going to turn people away on the basis of a slight fever then fair is fair.  I haven’t seen anything on the HAL site but I hope they follow suit.

12 minutes ago, AncientWanderer said:

Viking has temporarily changed its cancellation policy.  As I understand it, they are allowing folks to cancel 24 hours ahead and receive a future cruise credit.

That’s excellent.  A couple of the River cruises have done it too.  I think it would be nice if all cruise lines did this.  It would help restore faith in the cruise lines.  Diamond Princess and Westerdam’s trip to nowhere are fresh in many peoples’ memories and had LOTS of media coverage.

It would be nice too if the lines doing this were credited by the media for their fairness to clients under these exceptional circumstances.

• Like 1

We are still planning to show for our 3/21 Nieuw Amsterdam cruise from Ft. Lauderdale.  Thankfully, we have the Premium cancellation plan so if things go sideways, we can cancel up to departure time if we need to.  HAL hasn't sent any information about a change to the cancellation policy.  Their website DOES show some information about a security breach of customer records....