Where are the Coronavirus discounts?

Poulsbo Cruisers

I was looking at the Sapphire cruises out of Perth for my sister but there was nothing of good value for when they can travel (during the school holidays).  However, I did find a bargain for myself and cancelled the cruise i had booked for next February (from Perth to Sydney on the Sea Princess), in order to book the Melbourne-NZ return cruise on the Sapphire in January.  I scored a club class mini suite for $2000+ less than the same category booked on the first cruise, with the added bonus of the NZ cruise being 2 days longer and coming with an extra $100 OBC.  I am calling that  a bargain and I am delighted - I have looked and booked and cancelled the NZ cruise four times in the past few years and it has never seemed like a good price - but this time I think it is.  Fingers crossed it actually happens (my Japan cruise was cancelled and I am not holding my breath that the May Alaska replacement I have booked will actually go ahead). 

Hi, 

Cunard recently canceled some cruises on the Queen Elizabeth and added some new sailings. I booked a three-day Pacific coastal cruise from San Francisco to Vancouver that departs at the end of May for an incredible price. In fact, the prices were so low I decided to book a Queens Grill stateroom. 

There seem to be good deals available for recently added sailings that depart soon.  

Chuck

Edited by seacruise9
  • Thanks 1

Have a good friend who works for  large online cruise agency who told me she has been getting a lot of cancellation for both European and  Med cruises the last few days but rather than completely cancel they are transferring there booking to Alaska and the Caribbean.  She said to those destinations are beginning to see price increases on most cruise lines.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

I think the cruise lines are going to start giving out discounts. Everyone I Cruise with are telling me they’re not going to Cruise this year. They’re afraid of getting sick or being locked in a cabin for weeks.😳

Tony

I might expect some price drops for cruises this year, but if I'm in the cruise industry, I'm not repricing anything after that.  It's highly probable that many that canceled will rebook and add to next year's demand.  Plus, all those that may have been given credits may be using them up.   So who blinks first?   I'm betting the passengers since the cruise lines can drop prices whenever.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Ombud said:

I'm looking at Australia again. Seems I go there every year

I forgot that the Australia cruises on the Sapphire were available on 2/27 and today (2/29) booked one of the few available interior cabins (minis & suites soldout) which later were only guarantees.  It’s the Round Australia 30 day cruise & was over 40% less than prices I’ve seen for this infrequent itinerary which sells out nearly a year in advance whenever I’ve checked availability. Flexible EZair flights in economy are very low so we’re very happy to book our last bucket list destination. 😃

Edited by Astro Flyer
  • Like 4

I’ll confess when the Diamond Princess issue first started blowing up and people were predicting the death of cruising I started hunting for any big bargains, but although there were a few on other lines, I didn’t see any discounts on Princess.

Now with my travel buddy refusing the leave her house, I’m unlikely to head out on a cruise in the near future, but I’m still keeping one eye open for any big discounts.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Farts said:

50 yo dying, even with comorbidities, are still young imo. 

The age surprised me 🥀

Still looking at Alaska and hoping my B2B in 3 weeks isn't cancelled. I really don't care if they substitute ports .... it's just a California Coastal but my bucket list includes not flying to a cruise

• Like 1

15 hours ago, USN59-79 said:

We are seriously considering going back to Asia on the Golden in August.  We just came back from Cambodia and the Westerdam last week and had to miss most of a 42 day cruise due to COVID-19.  Waiting to see how things look in the next week or two.  Incidentally, I am over 80 and have leukemia, but don't consider that something to stop me from enjoying cruising.

We don’t intend to stop cruising at all. We’re just not willing to do it right now.  And we have a cruise booked in May that we intend to take, depending on how things progress. But with the spread on the US just becoming known, and the rapid spread of the disease, it seemed like a cruise ship wasn’t the best place for us to be right now. 

Edited by Pamster
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, pris993 said:

fake news... 

I'm almost wondering if Princess is not so concerned about filling every single cabin on their ships right now ... less people to compensate if something happens and less passengers sharing the onboard spaces.  That might be totally off base but I'm booked for a cruise that leaves in a month and the prices have been kept high ... much higher than what I paid.  There seems to be a full compliment of rooms available .. 

Now, those could all be booked via guarantees so, I can't say that there is a lot of availability with full confidence.  It just seems like they aren't reaching out with any rock bottom pricing ... at least not for any sailings I'm looking at.  

There are low prices.  If you look, you will find them.  Last week, I saw a 10 night cruise for $269.  I thought about booking. Called TA.  Could not commit.  Today that same cruise is much higher.  There are still lots of available cabins.  If a price is too good to be true, there must be a problem.

Some good deals now for cruises next few months to Mediterranean especially Italy, and France.  

Also deals for cruises going to Japan,  S. Korea,  S.E Asia four months from now to 2021.

Enjoy scoring a great cruise at a cheap price.

Most cruise lines are trying to maintain pricing integrity.  Instead of offering bargain basement pricing they are offering value-adds like free WiFi, gratuities, beverage package, etc to spur bookings.  Some are also waiving cancellation penalties to create confidence in the market.  

Should this not work, we may see some great deals but I would say that is a last resort.  I think most lines are hoping the virus will run its course in 2-3 months and it will be business as usual.  One thing in their favor is that people (especially Americans) have very short memories.  

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Threedrones said:

I think most people recognize the overblown hype about the caronavirus and are treating it like the flu. No reason to not cruise so no need for the cruise lines to discount.

Finally, a posting that has it correct.  If you do the necessary stuff, like washing your hands frequently, your chance of catching this virus is less than being hit by a meteor.  The cruise lines and other travel entities are being hurt by the overdone hysteria created in most cases by the media looking for headlines rather than facts.

• Like 2

We are cruising the Baltic in August with Princess.  Our cruise price has been reduced by $850 per person since we originally booked it.  The price reduction happened 2 weeks ago.

Dennis

maybe i am naive, but i think i can get this virus as easy at home as i can on a  cruise, so i'm not too worried.  i'm still excited about my alaska cruise in may.  i think they learned hardcore, a cruise ship is not a quarantine environment. 

i'm basically following along, washing my hands, and not panicking.  maybe i'm wrong, but i hope i'm right. and i'm trying to get a refare or upgrade on my cruise.

Edited by vampiress
  • Like 3

We were due to go to China and our holiday was unsurprisingly cancelled. We started looing at cruises but have decided to wait. I ma in my sixty's and an asthmatic, so whilst for many people this virus may not be serious, it could potentially be so for me, so waiting seems good to us. We have cruises booked for October and March 2021 so are certainly not cancelling them

On 3/2/2020 at 7:54 AM, vampiress said:

maybe i am naive, but i think i can get this virus as easy at home as i can on a  cruise, so i'm not too worried.  i'm still excited about my alaska cruise in may.  i think they learned hardcore, a cruise ship is not a quarantine environment. 

i'm basically following along, washing my hands, and not panicking.  maybe i'm wrong, but i hope i'm right. and i'm trying to get a refare or upgrade on my cruise.

• Like 1